iPhone won't synch

kdawn

Registered
I have 1 macbook and my BF and I just bought 2 iPhones. I set up a seperate account for him with seperate iTunes. I synched my iPhone using my account, my iTunes and everything went well. When I tried to synch his iphone using his account and his iTunes...nothing happened. Any ideas what went wrong?

I have 1 macbook and my BF and I just bought 2 iPhones. I set up a seperate account for him with seperate iTunes.

In a different account on the Mac?

I synched my iPhone using my account, my iTunes and everything went well. When I tried to synch his iphone using his account and his iTunes...nothing happened. Any ideas what went wrong?

I am trying to get around the fact that you launched iTunes twice on the same account? Do I have that right?

Yes. We each have our own accounts on my mac, and we each have our own, separate iTunes account.

What do you mean by "nothing happened," specifically?

Does the iPhone show up in the left-hand sidebar of the iTunes window? Does it allow you to modify the phone's settings? Do you actually have anything set to "sync" with the phone (you have to manually check a few boxes in order to sync music, applications, contacts, mail accounts, etc.)?

No, the iphone does not show up in the sidebar at all (like it did with mine when I plugged it into my account). Yes, his phone has applications, contacts, etc. Thanks.

Was the iPhone ever synced to a different account, maybe yours, at one point?

If you open up "System Profiler," does the iPhone show up under the USB device section?s

Thanks for the reply! A few days ago when we got our phones, I created the new mac account for him and plugged it in for the first time. Everything looked fine, it said syncing, we registered it. However, when we unplugged it, all of the apps on his phone were gone. I tried to plug the phone in again...and nothing. When I pull up his iTunes account history, all the apps are accounted for. I am very new (and clearly ignorant) to macs. Could I have messed up somewhere in the set up of a new account? I'm at work and don't have access to my mac right now, so I cannot check your second query about the system profiler. Thanks

So his phone already had apps and games and what-not on it, I assume purchased with a different account, yes?

And then you created him a new OS X account, logged in under that, then synced the phone to a virtually empty iTunes library, right?

How did you set up the phone initially when you first plugged it in and opened iTunes under his account? What one would expect to happen in this situation normally is that the phone would be wiped clean and synced with the iTunes library it's connected to... I suspect this is what happened and why you say his apps were gone.

One thing to understand about the iPhone and/or iPod touch is that they sync with one and only one account, which also implies that they sync with one and only one computer. If you currently sync with one computer, then take your iPhone to a different computer and sync, the iPod will be wiped out and whatever is on the new computer will be copied to it.

Also, you can think of it as a one-way sync in most cases -- data goes from the computer to the iPod/iPhone, and never in the reverse direction. This is why you can't download a bunch of music to an iPhone using one computer, then take it to another computer and copy the music from the iPhone to the new computer.

Of course, there are some cases where data does go from the iPhone to the computer, but all of that should be transparent to you -- the idea here is to keep an iPhone synced with one and only one computer, under one and only one account. Any deviation from this will most likely result in a wiped iPhone.

Since you're starting him off with a new account under OS X, it may be prudent to get every device on the same page and start off with a wiped iPhone and re-sync everything that needs syncing (remember: computer to iPhone only, so if there are contacts on the iPhone that you want to keep, back them up [with paper and pencil or something] because they will be replaced with contacts on the computer).

Try connecting the iPhone to the computer, ensuring all cables are connected and secured to the iPhone and on the back of the computer or USB hub, then restart the computer. Log in under the boyfriend's account. Open iTunes. Does the iPhone now show in the sidebar?

That sounds about right. I understand the one-way syncing now. Why would iTunes let us have a sharing free for all, sigh. I will try again the way you described tonight when I get home. I hope either it works, or your still on this site for more advice!! Thanks again

Back