iPhoto hanging after moving my data to a new drive

wickerman

Registered
Whilst shuffling data to make space on my HD, I moved all my photos to an external drive. Now, every time I launch iPhoto it becomes unresponsive and I have to force Quit. How can I fix this? (I've tried rebooting.)

2007 iMac, OS 10.9.4 Mavericks.

Whilst shuffling data to make space on my HD, I moved all my photos to an external drive. Now, every time I launch iPhoto it becomes unresponsive and I have to force Quit. How can I fix this? (I've tried rebooting.)

2007 iMac, OS 10.9.4 Mavericks.
Have you tried starting iPhoto while pressing the Alt key, and then pointing it to your new Library location?

Launch iPhoto whilst holding the Option-Command keys, which will bring up the Photo Library First Aid screen.
You can run each choice, particularly after doing a relocation like you have done.
Each choice can be helpful, but Rebuild Database is likely what will help you the most.
Some choices can take a considerable amount of time if your iPhoto database is very large, so be patient.

Could you have, perhaps, moved the data to another hard drive that is not in HFS+ format? Like maybe FAT32 or NTFS or something?

Back