iPod Mini: Unexplained Loss of Battery Life

MikeMTL

Registered
Hey everyone!
I was given a new iPod mini as a Christmas present a few months ago and, being a musician, was thrilled with it. But I noticed over time that the battery life seemed to shorten. I expected it would do so, as we all know, because batteries naturally lose their capacity as they are used. But lately, it's battery only lasts about one hour on continuous play after a full charge– no backlight or anything–only music. I would expect it's battery to go out eventually, but this iPod is only 5 months old. It is rather frustrating.

Now, I have dropped the iPod numerous times but I doubt that would shorten the battery life. I know it can damage the hard drive, however. Is it possible that this sudden loss of battery life is a result of my rough handling of my iPod?

I am also aware that there is a battery replacement program for sixty dollars or so but the iPod should still be covered under warranty, unless, that is, the damage is from dropping and is thus not covered by the warranty.

Please help me save Boris, the iPod. Thanks.

-Mike

Most of my songs are in AAC format. I'm sure there are some MP3s and maybe an AIFF or so. Most are about 3-4 minutes in length encoded at 160 kpbs. The album I listened to today was about 1 hour long but I got through about 45 minutes of it before the battery died. It was on pause and occasionally in sleep during the hour that I was listening to the album today.

DeltaMac: I read the link you gave me but I don't see how that is going to help me. I think my battery is gone and I don't know what to do. Can I get a new battery for free under the warranty or do I need to but the battery service?

MikeMTL said:
but the iPod should still be covered under warranty,
If you can take your iPod to an Apple Store, they will perform battery tests for you. They will have to keep it for a while. My battery was not nearly as bad as yours, and they simply gave me a new iPod--explaining that is more cost effective to proceed this way.

You can also request online service where Apple will send you a box to ship the iPod back to them in, test it, then return it repaired, replaced, or as it was depending on the situation.

I would recommend running a good battery test before sending it off, though... with a freshly, fully charged iPod:
1) Make a playlist with a good dozen songs or more in it @ 128 or 160kbps, AAC preferrably
2) Set the backlight off
3) Set "repeat" to "all"
4) Set the volume at about 50 - 75%
5) Turn off any equalizer settings
6) Press play on that playlist

The iPod should begin playing the songs and repeat playing them when it hits the end of the playlist. Time the iPod until it dies, making sure that repeat is working so that the music is uninterrupted and the iPod plays until it dies.

If you get only an hour or two (or even just four or five), then Apple should replace the unit free of charge. Make sure you've got your music backed up, as they won't give you the same iPod back.

A new iPod? Wow. I'm sure that my iPod would fail that battery test. But they don't make my iPod mini anymore do they? I have the first generation iPod mini. Would they give me a new second gen mini or a refurbished first gen?

Your iPod is still under warranty if you got it for Xmas 2004 (unless the gift-giver was holding on to that present for quite a long time before they gave it to you). If they have any old 1st generation minis in stock, you might get one of those. Then again, you may get a refurbished, returned, or even new 4GB mini 2nd generation. Who knows? Either way, you'll have a working iPod -- be it first or second generation! :D

Maybe dropping it slightly damaged the HD in a way that it takes more power to move the read/write head and/or spin the drive?

Alright cool. I seem to have found my answer. There's an Apple store about 45 minutes away. How long do they need my iPod to varify that's its battery has gone down the drain? A few hours or a few days? It'd be easier if I only had to make one trip.

Back