Issue with disk permissions

PhillT

Registered
EDIT......##SOLVED##

Background:
I have recently updated to Monterey, and my boot SSD and 2nd internal HDD are both now APFS.
I am not a computer wizz, just a medium user with enough knowledge to get into strife, but not quite enough to always get out of strife without help. This is my first foray into APFS and it seems a bit odd to me still.

Issue:
Whilst trying to create a SSD disk image, for backup, I encountered a message that said I didn't have permission to write to the HDD. (Never had issues writing to it previously)
"Get info" was set to read & write, but it didn't work, so I dug a bit deeper and ended up allowing Full Disk Access to DIsk Utility in Security & Privacy (Sys. Prefs)
Now the option to create a disk image has disappeared altogether, for internal and external drives. and a previously unlisted entry has appeared in the drive tree (left pane) of Disk Utility, called SSD snapshot, which I can't do anything with either in regard to creating an image.
Also, the Get Info tab brigs up a totally different window for disks now, which has no option to alter permissions, but does state that the target drive (Internal HDD) is writeable (APFS Volume Group and APFS System Volume) but NOT the ASRDataVolume.

Floundering here so any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
What Mac are you using now?

You recently updated to Monterey...
What system were you using before that upgrade to Monterey?
If you moved up several versions, that would be when the drive was updated to APFS.
And, the volume structure for your system would include some of those elements that you named, such as the drive Snapshot. You can't modify that drive. Another volume will be only for the system files, and is another drive that you can't modify (and nothing external can modify anything on that drive, preventing changes or corruption of your basic system files. That also means that there is little to gain by backing up that part of your drive, as it does NOT have your own files, or applications that you have installed. It only has the system files, as originally installed by the system that you are now using.
If you want to backup your files, you can use one of the third-party tools, such as Carbon Copy Cloner.
I use the built-in Time Machine, which works well for me. Some Mac folks don't care for Time Machine, and use another tool, but TM does what I need - back up the drive.

If you are still using the 2012 Mac mini (I have 2 of those, in daily use), and still have the original HDD, then replacing that with an SSD would be a great upgrade for you.

To me the arm used to idea that APFS was made for internal SSDs and DAS drives! With traditional plater dives as DAS (Direct Attach Storage) should use the older HFS+! That is just my opinion!

Last edited:
What Mac are you using now?

If you moved up several versions, that would be when the drive was updated to APFS.

If you want to backup your files, you can use one of the third-party tools, such as Carbon Copy Cloner.
I use the built-in Time Machine, which works well for me. Some Mac folks don't care for Time Machine, and use another tool, but TM does what I need - back up the drive.

If you are still using the 2012 Mac mini (I have 2 of those, in daily use), and still have the original HDD, then replacing that with an SSD would be a great upgrade for you.

DeltaMac,
M.M. 6,2 which has an internal SSD as the boot disk, and an internal HDD, onto which I wish to periodically save an image of the SSD, which, according to Apple Support, I should be able to do. (see pic below)
The problem is that the "Get info" window that I am now getting does not show or allow changes to read/write permissions. (see pic below)

I have been playing around with it this morning and I think I have found the solution, which is nothing like the Apple Support instructions.
Rather than "creating an image from a source", it is a case of "restoring "in image form" to a destination disk from a Source disk. (see pic below) The word 'restore' in the context of this operation seems a bit odd to me.

I do use Time Machine, but the only time I needed it (many years ago) I found it cumbersome and confusing. I has likely improved since those early days.
As far as 3rd party cloning software goes, ...I was reading a blog by the C.C.C. people, and they are of the opinion that the days of being able to clone an Apple system are coming to a close, thus my wish to find an alternative.

Thanks for the input :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.06.45 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.06.45 am.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.12.43 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.12.43 am.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.44.28 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 8.44.28 am.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1
To me the am used to idea that APFS was made for internal SSDs and DAS drives! With traditional plater dives as DAS (Direct Attach Storage) should use the older HFS+! That is just my opinion!

Interesting.
I have my Time Machine backups going to an external HDD, but read that APFS is preferred for Time Machine.
Thoughts?

Interesting.
I have my Time Machine backups going to an external HDD, but read that APFS is preferred for Time Machine.
Thoughts?
To me APFS was make ONLY for SSDs and NVMEs and tears up traditional drives over time! I've been to Apple discussions boards and read messages of people complaining using APFS on platter drives degrades them much faster! That's why I say with old style HHD should be in option HFS+ on old drives to keep them in good longterm health!

Back