iTunes Alarm suggestions?

macavenger

Registered
I have used iTuneSleep for quite a while, and, for the most part, quite like it. Unfortunately it no longer works in 10.6, and from what I can tell the developer is no longer reachable. So I'm looking for a replacement. Nothing I have found so far, however, quite meets my need, so I am asking here for suggestions. My desires are as follows:

Must have:
1) A true iTunes alarm clock. This means that when the alarm goes off, iTunes starts playing, not some internal media player of the alarm software.

2) Volume control, with fade-in feature of adjustable duration, using the iTunes volume rather than the system volume for fading. The way iTuneSleep works, which I like, is that (if chosen) the system volume is first set to a user-defined level, and then the iTunes volume is ramped up from zero. This allows me to set everything to a ridiculously loud final volume to blast me awake if needed, while still being easy to catch the fade-in in mid fade if I wake up easier - I can just turn down the system volume, and since the alarm isn't trying to change it to create the fade, that limits the maximum volume it gets to on that fade, without having to fumble around to hit a stop button.

3) No requirement to leave the application running for alarms to sound. Of course, something needs to be running, but it should be a faceless background app or menu-bar accessory that is loaded on login, so I don't have to worry about accidentally quitting the app or forgetting to launch it in the first place.

Things I would like, but can live without:
1) No stop alarm button. Or, more specifically, the option to leave the music running after the alarm has been "stopped". Which means that hitting stop really does nothing :) Since my alarm is my music, I typically want it to continue playing after I get up - just at a reduced volume. Thus the reason that I liked the way iTuneSleep handled requirement #2 so much. I just get up, turn down the volume, and get on with my day.

2) Multiple scheduled alarms, with the ability to quickly enable/disable each without deleting. iTuneSleep actually didn't have this.

3) Backup alarm, should any of the iTunes interaction run into problems (such as when iTunes throws up a dialog box), instead just play a user-specified system alert sound repeatedly until stopped.

So, any software out there that can meet my admittedly rather stringent requirements? Or is this going to have to be my next unofficial software development project? Thanks.

Yeah, I tried awaken, and it looked like the best of the bunch, but unfortunately it violates requirement #2 - sort of. If I am recalling correctly, it does, in fact, use the iTunes volume to fade in, but at the same time it "holds" the system volume at the set level, so I can't just turn the system volume down to keep it from getting too loud when I wake up easily. The problem with this is that I have a screen saver password set, so it takes me a little while to get to the point where I can stop the alarm (which I don't really want to do anyway, I just want it quieter). During that time, it can get annoyingly loud - good if I was still asleep, bad if I am up :) The keyboard volume keys work immediately, but awaken prevents that until you stop the alarm. Not good.

Awaken's preferences have settings for both iTunes volume and System volume, both of which revert to previously set levels when you stop the alarm.

Right, which is good. The problem is that while the alarm is going off, awaken holds the system volume at the set level. So until I log into the screen saver and stop the alarm, I have no way of stopping my computer from yelling at me. I want to be able to just hit the volume down button on my keyboard to reduce the volume once I am up :)

Ok, thanks to the link posted by #1 Rhapsody in the first replay, I discovered Alarm Clock Pro, by koingo software, which seems to fit the bill quite nicely. Thanks!

I just use the free Alarm Clock. It works great in Snow Leopard but if you want to spend money, more power to you.

I don't WANT to spend money, however I am willing to spend a reasonable amount for quality software that actually fits my needs. The free "Alarm Clock" which you mention unfortunately completely violates the first two of the three "must haves" that I specified, thereby ruling it out. The paid (and apparently unrelated) "Alarm Clock Pro" app I mentioned meets my requirements. If there is a free app that meets my requirements, that would be even better :)

I don't WANT to spend money, however I am willing to spend a reasonable amount for quality software that actually fits my needs. The free "Alarm Clock" which you mention unfortunately completely violates the first two of the three "must haves" that I specified, thereby ruling it out. The paid (and apparently unrelated) "Alarm Clock Pro" app I mentioned meets my requirements. If there is a free app that meets my requirements, that would be even better :)

Wow sorry for mentioning a FREE application! No need to be mean!!! :confused:

Wow sorry for mentioning a FREE application! No need to be mean!!! :confused:

My sincerest apologies if anything I said came across as mean or unkind. It was in no way my intention or feelings behind the post. I was simply trying to point out why, exactly, that particular free application didn't meet the criteria I am looking for in an alarm clock. If through my poor choice of wording /grammar/whatever I managed to offend you, I am truly sorry and ask your forgiveness.

Back