iTunes price hike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...040507/wr_nm/tech_apple_music_dc&sid=95573661

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) on Friday flatly denied a report that the computer maker was planning to raise prices for songs bought on its popular iTunes online music store.

"These rumors aren't true," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Sequeira. "We have multiyear agreements with the labels and our prices remain 99 cents a track."

Apple's statement came after the New York Post reported on Friday, citing one unnamed source, that music fans may have to start paying more for some songs on Apple's music store following contract renegotiations with the record labels ahead of the one-year anniversary of the store.

I believe this was discussed with Apple by the RIAA when Apple & the RIAA hashed out the new FairPlay (version 2) in iTunes 4.5. However, I think someone at Apple pointed it out to the RIAA how it would be suicide for the RIAA to raise the price or a big fat lawsuit to raise it just for iTunes. iTunes still holds the lion share of the legal music download sites and raising the rate now (by the RIAA) you just stop the "good karma" of legal down loading. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot like that. I can personally say iTunes re-sparked my interest in music and since the introduction of the iTunes music store it has caused me to replace a lot of old album music with CD's. The 99¢ value is just right, not to hot, nor to cold (I know that sounded corny).

G5 and Alienware..oh wait. Ones a dual-2.0ghz 64-bit BEAST... I AM GOING TO MOLEST YOU AND KISS YOU SWEETLY.....G5 kicks your alienware's apple. And why do you need BSD? Are you some programmer trying to make a statement? I prefer ease and use. And pretty.

drunkmac said:
G5 and Alienware..oh wait. Ones a dual-2.0ghz 64-bit BEAST... I AM GOING TO MOLEST YOU AND KISS YOU SWEETLY.....G5 kicks your alienware's apple. And why do you need BSD? Are you some programmer trying to make a statement? I prefer ease and use. And pretty.

Better unicode support and a lockdown feature might be a few features.

And when it comes to server applications, I would love to see an x86 vs. G5 comparison - especially with a dual proc. 2.0 Ghz AMD 64-bit beast. And especially if both have FreeBSD at their core. I can see an x86 victory here... I'm not a programmer making a statement (and why/what would I 'program' in Free/OpenBSD? - maybe use emacs, which is available on OS X anyway) - I'm running a serious network that needs upward scalability for cheap. Apple's Xserve was an option, but at $2,999 a pop and a ship date beyond 12 weeks for orders over 20, I didn't have the time or money. If the 90 nm chips had come out in a timely fashion, yes, maybe it would have been a more serious contender. The fact is, I work in a time-critical environment where each piece of equipment is absolutely necessary. Some of our older equipment was failing, so we called up Apple and told them we'd be willing to purchase 22 Xserves if they were delivered in 3 weeks, beyond that, it would be impossible because of the extra week we factored in for migration issues. After this 4 week limit, we would be jeopardizing some of our most critical, time-sensative work (specifically processing massive amounts of data into digital video from a beta, 3/4, and DV deck where our customer expects us done under time-specific contractual terms).

Anway, called up Apple - the gentleman I talked to was professional until I asked about delivery options - he then laughed at me, almost histerically (sp?), when I inquired about speed'y' delivery. He said, '12 weeks, no sooner.'

Called up Alienware, asked for 22 fo their comparable DV/server farm systems (which were roughly equivalent in cost). The President (Jon or Jim or something) immediately place my order with him. Not only that, the systems were available immediately and will be delivered by Alienware this Monday (5/8). To ensure satisfaction, the President himself *still fumbling around for his name* will be watching the set up and migration - I was very pleased at this, as were my superiors. Not only that, Alienware threw in an HD editing station (market $10,000) for free because of the size and nature of our order.

The hostility I received on this forum has convinced me to go straight back to x86 - without any doubts. And I don't think my reaction was overblown to this issue -- yes, they may be $.99 - but they now limit burns to 7 (from 10). 7 burns still ain't bad, but the mere fact that they changed the terms of what I can do with my music scares me. What's next? You can now only burn your music 2 times? 1 time? You can't share it anymore? You can only share it with people from states that begin with 'M'? I mean, the possibilities here are endless and scary. And most of the articles, I remind you, state that the $.99 price will stay that way, for now -- so what's next? Not so smart as to answer me that, eh?

Brad

i don't see the precedent for a service model that never changes. rates go up all the time in cable, satelite, telephone, cell phone, credit cards, mortgage payments. why do you think apple has the unique obligation to remain steadfast at the .99 cent pricepoint.
many many factors go into the decision of price for the itunes music store. just like many many factors go into your decision to buy servers from alienware. the good thing about the itunes music store is that you know that when you buy a song now at .99 cents, when they raise the price in the future, you won't have to pay the difference to keep your song. and if they take away all your burning limitations there could be grounds for suit to protect your rights to that song that you purchased. but in essence you have the option to buy it or not. and just because apple doens't offer the product you want doesn't mean their product is inherently bad.
just go buy what you want.

There are known supply problems for the G5 chips used in XServes. The big orders of hundreds or a thousand(Virginia Tech comes to mind) will be filled first.

If there were supply problems with the Opteron, the story from Alienware would be the same.

Apple changed the number of times a playlist can be burned based on customer feedback and need. Not very many people are burning 10 copies of the same CD, and really, why would you need to? So instead they are letting you share it between more computers in your house, which is a lot more likely to be needed than burning 10 copies of the same playlist.

Captain Code said:
There are known supply problems for the G5 chips used in XServes. The big orders of hundreds or a thousand(Virginia Tech comes to mind) will be filled first.

If there were supply problems with the Opteron, the story from Alienware would be the same.

Apple changed the number of times a playlist can be burned based on customer feedback and need. Not very many people are burning 10 copies of the same CD, and really, why would you need to? So instead they are letting you share it between more computers in your house, which is a lot more likely to be needed than burning 10 copies of the same playlist.

I agree. But it is the principle of the subject, not the exact nature of it.

There aren't, however, supply problems with the Opteron. I'm not saying that the G5 is any less of a capable system -- in fact, I'm eager to get my hands on one. The problem I have is with the fact that if I can't get it (especially for mission-critical applications) then it is completely useless to me. This isn't a complaint or rant, but reality. If Apple can't fulfill my order in a timely fashion, then I'll be taking my business elsewhere. And as I said, this doesn't make the G5 any less capable, just less accessable...

Brad

telarium said:
Since I surely won't be paying for this anymore, I suppose I've now rendered my iPod useless (old 5 Gigger) in the legal music arena.
I love bait-and-switch.

telarium said:
And I am virtually forced to use their service for legal music.

telarium said:
The hostility I received on this forum has convinced me to go straight back to x86 - without any doubts. And I don't think my reaction was overblown to this issue -- yes, they may be $.99 - but they now limit burns to 7 (from 10). 7 burns still ain't bad, but the mere fact that they changed the terms of what I can do with my music scares me. What's next? You can now only burn your music 2 times? 1 time? You can't share it anymore? You can only share it with people from states that begin with 'M'? I mean, the possibilities here are endless and scary. And most of the articles, I remind you, state that the $.99 price will stay that way, for now -- so what's next? Not so smart as to answer me that, eh?

telarium said:
This isn't a complaint or rant, but reality.

drunkmac said:
G5 and Alienware..oh wait. Ones a dual-2.0ghz 64-bit BEAST... I AM GOING TO M***** YOU AND KISS YOU SWEETLY.....G5 kicks your alienware's apple. And why do you need BSD? Are you some programmer trying to make a statement? I prefer ease and use. And pretty.

That's exactly the sort of over-defensive, incoherent, blind rambling that tend to give Mac users the "zealot" title. Especially when telarium has some good points.

Notice the the screen name of the "over-defensive, incoherent, blind rambler".. :)

Anyway, I think telarium was being an alarmist personally, and a little bit of a troll to boot. Honestly, you really think this is Apple's fault? They are trying, they really are, but it's not all their problem. If you don't like it, well... you aren't being forced to stay.

dlloyd said:
Notice the the screen name of the "over-defensive, incoherent, blind rambler".. :)

Anyway, I think telarium was being an alarmist personally, and a little bit of a troll to boot. Honestly, you really think this is Apple's fault? They are trying, they really are, but it's not all their problem. If you don't like it, well... you aren't being forced to stay.

An alarmist? Maybe. I troll, don't see it. I did make some good points, and I didn't say Apple wasn't trying -- I'm just a bit scared of the RIAA's influence and Apple's response (which has been positive thus far). But let's think this out logically. Wholesale prices of CDs have gone up... And maybe Apple has multi-year contracts, but when those contracts are up -- do you imagine that the .99 cent price will remain? Even if it does, what future limitations does Apple have in store for us?

Look, I'm trying to raise general concern here -- not scream fire in a crowded room. I have my gripes about Apple - but honestly, I practically adore Panther, and for personal use, I would use my Apple over anything. I even like iTunes, but I'm weary of the future of a program I really do enjoy. Why am I weary? Because there aren't really any other equivalent programs (maybe WinAmp and Windows Media Player) -- so in fact, I'm highlighting the positive nature of iTunes coexisting with a negative aspect of FairPlay and what this all means for the end-user.

Many of my previous posts have contributed insight and generated positive, intellectual responses.

If you don't like my posts, well...you aren't being forced to respond.

Brad

And furthermore, who designates what I can or can't say here? God forbid I raise a little general concern here.

j79 said:
That's the attitude I'm taking on this "news."

Hopefully it's not true. IF it is, I won't be purchasing any of the 1.25 music (and definitely won't be buying an album at 16.99 - Nor will I buy them at Walmart for a cheaper price - I'll download it! Screw the industry if they want to screw us....)

Too Right! the record labels will shoot them selves in the foot, greedy bastards! they havent let it soak in properly yet, they should at least wait till iTMS is fully international. Then mabey they have a leg to stand on. Mabey.

Ah, calm down, everyone... I don't see Apple raising the prices of the songs. There's basically no way that they could do that right now (unless the record companies would raise prices for all other services, too) without seriously killing both iPod and iTunes-tracks sales.

I also don't see the record biggies urging Apple to raise prices now that they finally have a light at the end of the tunnel. Instead, they should be very, very interested to improving their work with Apple.

And just to add the ceterum censeo: I want my iTMS Switzerland (and Europe, and Japan, and...).

telarium: I wasn't saying you didn't make good points, I just didn't want you to bash Apple about things that aren't their fault. And just because you want to raise a concern doesn't mean you need to do it in the fashion you did. :)

its the record companies behind everythin. if they dare raise the prices one day...
the ppl will react.

as internet connections get faster all over the world, p2p file sharing is gettin easier.
if ppl discouraged by rediculously high prices... they choose the FREE way ...

Uh...you could get the music wherever you wanted, import it into iTunes, then put it on the iPod. iTunes is more than just the iTMS...

Highlighting a problem posted by rumor sites that have already been discounted by Apple and adding in personal dissatisfaction with one element and transferring such angst to other elements is hardly problem solving.
Bringing up a complaint is good. Discussing it is fair. But perhaps you haven't seen that your comments in this thread have been quite inciteful and thus have generated the heat that you're now shrinking from.

Hey I'm neutral on this one, but wasn't 99 cents a song a loss anyway?
I thought they were happy selling at a loss because it shifted iPods....
All I'm saying is if apple have been forced to raise the price on certain songs (when its not about profit on the actual song) then I don't see how Wal-Mart or anyone else will be able to avoid doing the same eventually.
If Apple who are ok to sell at a loss have to increase the price anyway, then its the industry forcing them to - why would the industry ignore/let Wal-Mart off the hook?
And hey, do what you want, but if you're going to run BSD why bother with Alienware? I know they are quite high-end PCs in general terms but aren't they aimed at gamers, with any increased capability and price only worth it for the gamer?
Anyway, you seem to know what you want (I don't know why everyone weighs into people here when they announce a different opinion) but I'd rather be deaf than have to deal with WMA and the purveyors of this diseased format...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back