iTunes Sharing + iPod

ShadowTech

Registered
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the iTunes Sharing feature will share the music on my iPod when I have it connected (via firewire).

The story is I want to share all my stuff on the university network, but I don't really have the HD space on my iBook to leave it in my main library.

Anyone know?

The RIAA would like to talk to you if you try to do this. ;) Sharing is done from the iTunes music library on the SAME IP subnet. That means with sharing on the IPs must have the same three subnet in the IPs with only the last part of the IP being different. It is designed for HOME use. Anything else is a hack that get you sued, especially on a University campus. The RIAA is on a University hunt at the moment for suing people for things like this. If you start sharing on the huge University network, IP security will have you IP and trace it right back to you.

That's not accurate -- the subnet mask is different from the IP address, and I can happily share my iTunes music from a computer with IP address 192.168.0.12 to a computer with an IP address of 192.168.5.100. The subnet is not determined by the first three triplets of the IP address.

The actual subnet of my network, though, is 255.255.255.0 -- completely different from the IP address.

In terms of music, start thinking of your iPod as a "one-way" music device -- meaning, music goes onto the iPod and doesn't come back off of it. The sooner you start thinking this way (which is the intuitive, Apple-supported way) the sooner you'll enjoy the iPod much, much more. It's going to be nothing but frustration if you try and use the device counter-intuitively, much like trying to drive your car from the back seat will only leave you frustrated -- it's counter-intuitive.

Short answer: if you wanna share music through iTunes, do it through iTunes. The iPod and it's music library are not an external hard drive -- if you want to share files from the iPod, copy the files to the iPod in disk mode and share from there -- with the side effect being that you can't listen to these music files via the iPod.

Satcomer said:
The RIAA would like to talk to you if you try to do this. ;) Sharing is done from the iTunes music library on the SAME IP subnet. That means with sharing on the IPs must have the same three subnet in the IPs with only the last part of the IP being different. It is designed for HOME use. Anything else is a hack that get you sued, especially on a University campus. The RIAA is on a University hunt at the moment for suing people for things like this. If you start sharing on the huge University network, IP security will have you IP and trace it right back to you.

The sharing at my school seems to be working on complex 1, which is a section of 4 different residence buildings. And I wish the RIAA good luck, I go to school in Canada. :D

ElDiabloConCaca said:
In terms of music, start thinking of your iPod as a "one-way" music device -- meaning, music goes onto the iPod and doesn't come back off of it.

That's exactly the reason why I will never buy an iPod again. I'd like to delete the music I don't wanna hear on the move, or put different songs on it. Was not possible with mine, so I sold it. That's not very innovative - to say the least.

iPod are for some people, and not others. I like the fact that I don't have to manually manage my music -- if I don't listen to it, I don't listen to it. I can put a small subset of my total music library on the iPod, or copy the whole damn library to the iPod.

I guess it all depends on whether you use the iPod as intended (as a syncing device, not a storage device), or counter-intuitively, by trying to store your music permanently on the iPod. This works for some, and not for others -- I kind of view storing the music solely on the iPod like purchasing a piece of software, installing the software, then throwing away the original install disks.

Back