iWeb

TheBrane

Registered
Good Afternoon.

I have set my website up in iWeb (so simple and great) and I have added to the homepage a QT music file for visitors to listen to. Unfortunately however when you do click on the song and then navigate to one of my other pages on the website such as my portfolio, the music stops. I was hoping that the song would play continuously while navigating through the website no matter what page the visitor was on. Is this even possible?

Kind Regards,

Adam.

Well you set up the music (I hope you give visitors to turn it off) to play on just that ONE page.

I was hoping that the song would play continuously while navigating through the website no matter what page the visitor was on. Is this even possible?
No, this is not possible -- at least the way you've described it.

When a visitor to a webpage leaves a webpage and visits another page, everything from the first page is gone -- music, pictures, etc.

If you wish to have constantly-playing music (which is typically frowned upon -- it's a web page, not an elevator), then you must get creative. Maybe have a small pop-up page that contains only the music, that way, as visitors navigate your web page, the pop-up page is always loaded and playing.

Or, use regular frames or iFrames to keep the Quicktime music loaded in one frame while allowing the visitors to navigate in a different frame.

Either of these solutions would require a working knowledge of HTML and/or Javascript -- it's likely not something you can do easily through the GUI of iWeb.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback. Now to be clear here, I also dislike it when a website loads music when the page opens. My website does not do this. As mentioned, I have loaded a QT music. This has a control bar that allows the person visiting to play the song, not play the song, turn it up or down, whatever. I only wanted it to be able to play throughout the site if the person visiting chose to have it do so while browsing the portfolio or other pages. But again, thank you for your advice.

The problem with iWeb is that it is so simple. The best thing that you could do is write your own script (I'm pretty sure iWeb allows you to insert an HTML script), make that script open a new window when clicked on that plays the music and then they can navigate while still listening.

Oh yah and first you have to make a separate page outside of iWeb with the just music then upload that yourself for the link in iWeb to open.

Thank you icemanjc. That helps. But I don't have the know-how as yet to do such great things. Soon enough though I hope to. Web design is not my forte, but I am trying to make it one. I will see what I can do with your suggestion.

Regards,

Adam.

Here you go. All you have to do is put that in as an HTML Snippet and then change the link to the MP3 file to point to your MP3 file.

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
function newPopup(url) {
	popupWindow = window.open(url,'popUpWindow','height=25,width=300,menubar=no,status=yes')
}
</script>
<a href="JavaScript:newPopup('http://www.yoururl.com/folder/mp3file.mp3');">Popup Window Text</a>
>

can anyone recommend an idiots guide to doing a website?

I have my lovely site all done in iweb. looks spiffy, but I can't work out how to get it onto the server or host or whatever it's called (I'm using GoDaddy).

I originally published to a folder on my desk top then using the secure FTP programme tried to upload onto the site but it said 'unable to load one or more files' and then 'a pipe is broken'. The same thing happened when I tried loading single files from the folder.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

OK, I managed to get it to load. I quit everything and restarted the iweb app and did a new log in for the hosting site and then loaded the folders up individually. one media folder still wouldn't work so each item was then loaded individually from that.

here is the result!

http://matthew-ellis-photography.com/Welcome.html

unfortunately, as you can see (if you have the inclination to look), it needs some improvements and tweaking. Like contact details :rolleyes: I also want to add a links page.

But.... any one know how I add to already existing site? do I have to do it all in iWeb and then upload the whole thing again or is there a short cut so I just change the menu bar at the top to include the new added page? As you can imagine, it took forever to upload so many photos so I'd like to do the short cut if possible.

Many thanks, Liz

Back