Java Se 6

Rhisiart

Registered
I upgraded my Macbook Pro to 10.11.6 today and then installed Adobe Photoshop CS3. However I am told I have to install Java SE 6 to run Photoshop. I don't know where to find it despite a Google search. Anybody have any suggestions please?

In this regard, I have (why?, just because I could, I guess) Java 9 (Java SE Runtime Environment). If I install Apple's latest Java 6, will that over-ride Java 9, or will both reside. To be honest, I don't even know why I need Java at all.

My link takes you to the Apple support page, where you click on the download link on that page.
Are you saying the link doesn't go anywhere?
Try this.
Or, go to the Apple.com/support page, scroll to the bottom, click on Downloads & Updates. Should be the first item on that download page, or search for Java. That will be the only one showing as a Java download from 2017.

I have the archive download page from Oracle - > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html

Java SE 6 is no longer supported. They have a much newer version available.

SGilbert :
In this regard, I have (why?, just because I could, I guess) Java 9 (Java SE Runtime Environment). If I install Apple's latest Java 6, will that over-ride Java 9, or will both reside. To be honest, I don't even know why I need Java at all.

In the past, installing one would indeed over-ride the other. There were several times that I had to go back to the ‘other’ to run something for my work. Right now, I use Oracle’s version and not Apple’s. (verson 8.x)

Well, yes, unless you are in the OP's position, and want to use CS3 on a newer system, such as El Capitan or Sierra. You need Apple's installer for Java SE 6. Apple makes it available (and updates the installer as newer versions of macOS appear, I guess), as some apps still need that old Java version (and won't work with a newer Java version.)
Which would explain why the OP posted with the question.

Thanks DeltaMac. The second link you sent worked and now Photoshop CS3 is running fine. I am very grateful to you.

Back