java update

3mors

HampCake Studios
i've just seen that a java 1.5 update has been released for tiger.
my question is: is it right that this update doesn't appear on software update but i have to download it using safari?

You have to download it, as it's not really an update, but a complete installation of Java 1.5 in the sense that Java 1.4.2 will still co-exist on your system.

I'd recommend Java 1.5 if you're a developer. There are some nice features like generics that are very welcome. However Java 1.5 is currently at the Release Candidate stage and is not quite ready for general consumption. Hence you don't get it from software update but have to download and install it manually.

FWIW when you install J2SE 5.0 a Java Preferences item is added in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5 that allows you to switch between J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5 as the default. I have been running NeoOffice/J and MoneyDance, both Java applications, with J2SE 5 and so far there have been zero glitches.

perfessor101 said:
FWIW when you install J2SE 5.0 a Java Preferences item is added in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5 that allows you to switch between J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5 as the default. I have been running NeoOffice/J and MoneyDance, both Java applications, with J2SE 5 and so far there have been zero glitches.

This is exactly right!Also remember in the Java 5.0 Preference file, at the bottom window under "Java Application Runtime Server" to drag 5.0 over 1.4.2.

Back