baldprof

Registered
This just was posted at the Wall Street Journal:

Apple Computer CEO Jobs
Undergoes Successful Surgery

By PUI-WING TAM
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
August*1,*2004*8:08*p.m.

Steve Jobs, chief executive of personal-computer maker Apple Computer Inc. and animation studio Pixar Animation Studio, underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his pancreas during the weekend. The surgery was successful and Mr. Jobs will return to work in September, an Apple spokeswoman said.

Mr. Jobs, 49 years old, disclosed the news about his surgery in a memo that he sent to staffers at Apple, Cupertino, Calif., on Sunday. In the memo, Mr. Jobs told Apple employees that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer, called islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which can be cured by surgery if removed in time. Mr. Jobs's tumor was diagnosed in time, he said, and he won't require any chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

Mr. Jobs, who co-founded Apple in the 1970s, said in the memo that he will take August off, returning to work in September. During his absence, Tim Cook, who heads up operations, sales and Macintosh hardware at Apple, will run the computer maker's day-to-day operations. "We shouldn't miss a beat," Mr. Jobs said in his note. "I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September."

Mr. Jobs ended his memo in a punchy manner, telling employees that he was sending his memo from his hospital bed, using his 17-inch PowerBook laptop and AirPort Express wireless node, which are Apple products.

Mr. Cook, in an interview, said that Mr. Jobs's doctors say his prognosis is "excellent." Mr. Cook added that everyone at Apple "knows what we need to do. Steve is a very hands-on CEO and we've discussed on a weekly basis plans for the many many months ahead." He said he expects Mr. Jobs to e-mail and call him frequently in August.

Bill Campbell, an Apple director, said he saw Mr. Jobs on Saturday and Sunday and that the CEO was "sitting up and very alert and animated." Mr. Campbell said the board has "tremendous confidence in Tim and in the depth and quality of [Apple's] management team." He said the board executed the plan that they had had in case of any emergency with Mr. Jobs, which was asking Mr. Cook to oversee day-to-day operations. Mr. Campbell added that the board and Mr. Jobs also have a succession plan in place, but that the plan is confidential even inside the company and known only to the board and to Mr. Jobs.

:eek:

kendall said:
what the heck does this mean?
Must be something about the FBI and CIA, and something about treatment for cancer, so what does it all mean?
Steve, we're thinking about ya, and you're in our prayers.

[Oh, I know, the CIA and FBI knew this was coming, must be some kind of conspiracy, as there was no advance warning. :) :p ]

mi5moav said:
Well, I guess the CIA and FBI could probably learn a few things from Apple.
Yeah i'm confused also, glad to hear his surgery was successful though, maybe we should send him a card from MacOSX.com :D

I think he means the CIA & FBI could learn about Apples secrecy techniques.What's to be so confusing about that :confused:? Get better soon Steve!

I think mi5moav is just feeling jilted because he didn't have the scoop first! :)

Too bad about Jobs. Never fear, he's got flouridated Bay Area water in him. He he.

Well that came as a shock. :eek:
I wonder if the same had happened to Bill Gates people would have been just as upset? :D Only joking Bill! ;)
Glad it went ok! :)

Seems like it's not really 'red alert' any more... Was quite shocked when I read that this morning... Now I'm kinda relieved, knowing he's getting better, doesn't need any chemo-treatment etc. and will be back at the end of August...

so, there will be a slight delay on the G5 iMacs now? ;)
Such kind of surgery seem to be routine in these days. Anyway, a successful surgery is always a good news.

I wish Jobs a speedy recovery... couldn't find a link to send signatures for a digital get well card on the apple sight. One thing I'm a bit concerned about. Steve is known to use his laptops a lot. 5 to 8 hours a day. And he probably has been prevy to laptop use befor us on prototypes and such. With no definite proof that cell phones and other wireless devices do not cause cancer. What is the probability that either frequency increases in chips or wireless cards within laptops may not cause some cellular destabalization or heating.

Testicular cancer and other lower abdominal cancers have risen quite a bit in the last ten years or so. No, one in my family ever had testicular cancer and now, two cousins in there 20's have it and both are big laptop users for the past 5+ years. Then we've had two neighbors diagnosed with pancreatic cancer one did not survive the other one did make it. I know one was a traveling salesman and had 3 laptops around his house so he had to use them quite a bit during his career. I also talked to his wife and said they had no idea that it was so sudden and she did not know of anyone in the family that had ever even had cancer. Though it's probably just paranoia I probably will not be placing my laptop on my lap for more than a few hours per day.

It's not a good idea to use a computer for more that a few hours a day, anyway.

I doubt that Steve Job's pancreatic cancer had anything to do with laptop or prototype computers. They're not building nuclear laptops over there, and any "prototypes" would simply be similar to the laptops they release to the public -- nothing that would include uranium or plutonium in the ingredients. Man, you are the best we've seen here at reaching WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY the hell out there for explanations, turning the mundane into the insane and ridiculous.

Connecting Steve Job's cancer to laptop use is like connecting Steve Job's cancer to the fact that he didn't capitalize "God" in his email.

It's now been ten years since I had surgery to remove a tumor, which was in my colon. I wasn't past 50, and I had always consumed lots of fiber: veggies, fruit, and bran. There was no family history of the disease. So it was something that shouldn't have happened. But it did. The oncologist said that 35% of all colon cancers are spontaneous, i.e. have no discernable cause.
So what can I, or any one do to prevent a recurrence if that is the case? Well I take a calcium supplement and an aspirin every day. I also go to get "cleaned out" every three years.

So I look at Jobs, one who is a vegan and has all the healthy habits. Same thing. Shouldn't have happened; but it did. Sometimes life is that way.

My advice to any viewers, get regular checkups, and enjoy the blessings you do have. You just never know.

<and if you're really worried about laptop use, get lead underwear. :p >

It's not a good idea to use a computer for more that a few hours a day, anyway.

Right...Like those of us in IT (who are paid to work on a computer) have the option of limiting our time in front of it.

Incidentally, my lower half is protected from radiation by the wooden table and wrinkle-resistant khakis. Safe!

As long as frequent breaks are taken, you can reduce the risk blah blah blah... I'm sure you've heard it all before, but it really is true: your employer can't make you sit there for hours at a time without a break... it's an occupational hazard, and just as much work can get done by working for an hour, then taking a 5 minute break, working another hour, 5 minute break, etc. etc. as working straight through those hours.

C'mon, treat your body right. Computers are awesome, but it's not a healthy thing to just sit at one all day, even if it's your job description.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
As long as frequent breaks are taken, you can reduce the risk blah blah blah... I'm sure you've heard it all before, but it really is true: your employer can't make you sit there for hours at a time without a break... it's an occupational hazard, and just as much work can get done by working for an hour, then taking a 5 minute break, working another hour, 5 minute break, etc. etc. as working straight through those hours.

C'mon, treat your body right. Computers are awesome, but it's not a healthy thing to just sit at one all day, even if it's your job description.

to help with strain and such while at 2 computers all day I invested in a mirra chair from herman miller. the chair is so amazing that I can go for stretches without breaks almost twice as long as before. it keeps your blood flowing because the chair doesn't restrict blood flow to your body like most chairs do and your attention is on the task at hand rather than on a uncomfortable chair. when you sit in it it sort of molds itself to you and all you really have to adjust for a different person to be comfy is the lumbar support which is a snap to change. the problem with the aeron is it requires too much fiddling.

check it out

about steve.. best of luck to him. a great man

Back