Jobs' surprize

But you _do_ know that the iBook 900's been introduced only weeks, no, days ago?

I think right now the iBook's too attractive already for the PowerBooks... :p

This one's a mind blower:

So what happens if we DO guess it correctly? If it's something that we wouldn't normaly guess, couldn't we be possibly changing the future by guessing what it would have originaly been?

Easy there Rhino. If you get it right, you'll cause a paradox and rip reality a new one.

That might not be fun. Then again. . .

Everyone expects a speed increase on the Pbooks and Towers. The new iBooks and iPods came out.

I think and hope that it will be mini-tablets. Macwhisper talks about a 5x7 case that has been made for Apple (for all that is worth). LoopRumors, who I trust, talk about tablets. Also, rumors talking about a devise that can connect to a monitor and cpu, at the same time and separately.

PowerPod: fully functional computer, but smaller than any other devise out there.

Inkwell has to be used for more than Wacoms!

Originally posted by fryke
But you _do_ know that the iBook 900's been introduced only weeks, no, days ago?

I think right now the iBook's too attractive already for the PowerBooks... :p

Yes, but just think about how close the 1ghz+Superdrive Powerbooks were to the 12" and 17" powerbooks.

Personally I'd like to see an iBook with an optional airport card in the monitor, so I could take the monitor around and have it act as a tablet :)

maybe apple will buy the apple store!
maybe apple will make a tv...iTV, MacTV, AppleTV, iVision, macVision.......and can be hooked up to your mac.... in case you wanna record something, like the grammy awards or something..

Originally posted by qwikstreet
How about the allowing of the new Mac clones. The iBox!

You know what? I might actualy be able to see this. Apple has been surprising us a ton lately. Of course if you'll open up to clones then I feel a ton of people will be hopping on the bandwagon.
Of course knowing Job's dislike for clones I would see it highly unlikely.
Maybe they're working on a consumer level headless version of the iMac?

Maybe they're working on a consumer level headless version of the iMac?

Think about 2 things: 1) Macs have not sold well in general PC stores since the original (Bondi Blue) iMac rolled out. A lot of PC stores balked at Apple recent trade agreement, and anyway their salespersons are not overly motivated to sell Macs. 2) Apple still owns the Power Computing brand.

So... what about an "in-house" clone-maker, with a different company and brand, 100% owned by Apple, producing fast, cheap and beige PPCs? As an example, a minitower with a true 266Mhz bus and a 1 Ghz G3 processor... uhm... :rolleyes:

Clone Macs will not work again. Especially if Apple own the clone.

The only way a clone would survive is if Apple allows the competition. And that ain't happenin'! Apple hated that Power Computing was getting ALOT of business.

Apple will never let another clone to come out. My problem with that is: competition makes technology advance. PC makers have been pushing each other for years. Think of what Apple would be like if they had someone biting their ankles to make better machines. We would have our 2+Ghz machines by now.

The surprise has got to be a digital hub product.

Originally posted by banjo_boy Think of what Apple would be like if they had someone biting their ankles to make better machines. We would have our 2+Ghz machines by now.
These days, Apple is usually pitted against the PC world (Intel & AMD.) I think Apple has plenty of competition, and still has their work cut out for them.

Oh, I also wanted to comment on the very first post of this thread. As I recall, everybody was expecting flat panel iMacs. The surprise was more in the final form of the iMac.

I believe it's the World Wide Developer conference, which will be held at the end of June.

EDIT: June 23-27 to be exact.
It will be held in San Francisco, California

Originally posted by banjo_boy
...Apple hated that Power Computing was getting ALOT of business.

from what I understand, Apple subsidised all of the clones. So, for every power computing machine developed, Apple not only lost a sale but they helped pay for the machine that the sale was lost to. that's a losing deal.

Originally posted by banjo_boy
Apple hated that Power Computing was getting ALOT of business.
Apple will never let another clone to come out. My problem with that is: competition makes technology advance. PC makers have been pushing each other for years. Think of what Apple would be like if they had someone biting their ankles to make better machines. We would have our 2+Ghz machines by now.

You have to understand the actual makeup of the clone market to understand why Apple had such a big problem with it. Apple was actually supplying the clone makers with their motherboards (there may have been 1 or 2 that had their own, but folks like Power Computing simply used Apples). So Apple had to shoulder the cost of R&D and manufacturing, which the clone makers didn't. So it was a lose/lose scenerio for Apple. This type of model could only work if the Mac market itself was expanding at a rate that made it worthwhile for Apple. This obviously was not the case. Hence Stevie cutting off the clones.

Plus, lack of competition isn't what has kept the Mac at the clockrates that it is now, that falls squarely on Motorolas shoulders, not Apples. Don't you think that if there were any way that Apple could release a 2ghz machine right now that they would? Plus with the manufacturing model that existed with the clones, the only real competition would have been in packaging and integration, not in the underlying hardware. Some of the cloners would have had to start getting serious about developing their own motherboards (or heavily tweaking Apple reference ones) in order to create this "improvement through competition".

Note that Apple is at another similar crossroads now, this time with software. With Apple taking a more direct interest in writing all sorts of apps, it puts their ISV's in a bad spot. After all, who would want to write a photo editing product that would have to compete with the basically free iPhoto. Ditto the other tools in iLife. As Apple heads down this road, they have to walk a very fine line. Hopefully they won't follow the M$ road and actually write their products in such a way that others can plop their apps in, thereby actually nurturing a competitive and healthy software environment.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
Plus, lack of competition isn't what has kept the Mac at the clockrates that it is now, that falls squarely on Motorolas shoulders, not Apples. Don't you think that if there were any way that Apple could release a 2ghz machine right now that they would?

If Apple allowed more companies than Motorola to make boards, there would be competition. Motorola can't do it? Maybe IBM can. If Apple had 3 to 5 board suppliers, each of them would be trying to outdo the other. That is competition. That is what makes business work.

Apple is resposible for their own product. They could have easily found someone else and kicked Motorola out. This is Apple's fault. Period. Motorola has Apple by the ba**s because Apple was waiting for them, the ONLY company working on boards for Apple. If a company is given that kind of freedom, Motorola will take advantage of Apple. Apple does not have to accept this. That is the beauty of business.

And to answer your question: Yes, Apple would have released a 2Ghz machine by now, but they can't and they haven't because they are so stinkin' paranoid about they "secrets" getting out. Multiple makers can give the pressure to Motorola to make a good and reliable products fast.

Back