Joost invites - who wants one.

ora

Registered
Hi folks,

I'm in the beta of Joost, the social networking/iptv system (formerly the venice project). Its pretty fun and an interesting bit of geek technology. The mac beta runs nicely too, very frontrow-esque

I have two invites, but if you get one please offer at least half your invites here on the forums. To help get more invites for macosx.com folks (assuming people are interested) i'd prefer to hand them to forum regulars i know will share nice this time, but any further ones i get will be entirely first come first served. Promise! :)

You can also get in by applying though they have some selection process i don't understand and the waiting list is long. See here to apply.

Mikuro gets the first one, and says he'll post invites here when he gets them.

A note for the other one, i need your first and last name for the invite as well as an email.

I still don't have any invites available, but I just want to point out that as of now, there is no PPC version; it'll only run on Intel Macs. They say that they're working on a PPC version, though.

I gave it a shot. Looks promising. The interface is a little rough, but that's to be expected from an early version. It's still surprisingly slick for a cross-platform app.

Wish I had an Intel Mac. From what I hear (TWIT.TV podcast MacBreak Weekly) those Joost invites are hard to get! You're very generous.

Wish I had an Intel Mac. From what I hear (TWIT.TV podcast MacBreak Weekly) those Joost invites are hard to get! You're very generous.

Well, this community is nice to me, (I think i got my original gmail invite here) and its better than being too elitist about it i guess. If they release a PPC version down the line and i am still getting invite tokens you can have one.

Still one up for grabs, intel owners give me a shout!

OK, first two gone but i'll post again here when i get more invites, so will the others I hope. Like i said, others will be first come first served but i hope anyone who gets them offers their invites here too, do unto others and all that.

I'll try and post some impressions over the weekend as well.

If you get one to Merlin Mann at 43folders.com I'm sure he'd give macosx.com some major shout-outs on MacBreak Weekly podcast...he's mentioned many times that he cannot get a Joost invite...

So I couldn't log in for a bit, but its all working again now. I'm pretty impressed actually, though I have no idea what the business model is yet - just bandwidth costs must be pretty crazy.

As people say, the interface is rough but workable, and like i said before, a bit frontrow-esque.

Content seems decent too. Right now I'm watching poker :), in pretty decent resolution with fairly few stutters (i estimate 800 x 600). I'm on a 3.5 meg line, but at work with a very high speed line (we have an IXP in the building across from mine) it was pretty much flawless.

In terms of content range, its ok for now, there could be more but this is a beta, now I'm watching an interesting discussion on AIDS with Bill CLinton from the MTV channell.

I've attached 4 images to let people see how it looks. The first is just a grab of the windowed mode to show the resolution. The second shows the on screen controller, the third the channel selector and the fourth the dashboard-liek widgets they offer.

Attachments

• joost_1.jpg
    joost_1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 12
  • joost_2.jpg
    joost_2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
  • joost_3.jpg
    joost_3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 12
  • joost_4.jpg
    joost_4.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 12
So if you are waiting for joost, you can get into Zattoo while you wait, free iptv in a few languages, including two BBC channels (nice for me as i have no tv and live in a francophone country - a taste of home).

Zattoo is very interesting, too! :) ... Is the list of available channels dependent on where you're loggin on from? It looks Switzerland-centered to me... Can someone in another part of the world look at the channel list? I see, for example, SF 1 and SF zwei and SF info (Swiss television).

Ah, okay. :) Well: It's got BBCprime and BBCworld, both of which are _not_ part of the basic cable package of Cablecom anymore. _Finally_ I can get those again.

Ah, okay. :) Well: It's got BBCprime and BBCworld, both of which are _not_ part of the basic cable package of Cablecom anymore. _Finally_ I can get those again.

Ahh, Ok, here in Geneva they always seemed to come in the package with the building, but I guess all the international workers mean there is a big demand for English Language TV, that said, BBC Prime shows such a weird mix of BBC stuff, some really good but so much of their worst programmes too!

Glad to have helped fryke!

Zattoo doesnt work:

It says:

You seem to be accessing the Zattoo website from a country we do not serve yet. Please enter your country of residence below, and when our service is available there, we will contact you. You're high on the waiting list, and we look forward to serving you.

So... that's a no-go for me. How come Switzerland has it but Austria doesn't???
Unfair!!! ;)

Hmmmn, strange, i don't remember is asking me for a country, i guess its via the IP address... Sorry Ferdinand!

Then I guess we won't ever see US television through zattoo. :/ *sigh* ... I wish I could just get Comedy Central. Just that would be enough. Guess they _want_ us to do illegal things...

Back