Keyboard Text Replacements/shortcuts Not Working

You have a none apple keyboard and suddenly it is not behaving? When did it start - after an update?

Maybe you are simply typing in keyboard shortcuts.
Check in your System Preferences, then Keyboard, then Text.
Do you have any items listed there?
You may have set a few up (perhaps without realizing it.
I have only the default, which is On my way!

Or, do you see the substitution any time you type meb, or only in Mail, or some other app?

I do have my attempted replacements in System Preferences / Keyboard / Text.
None of them work, including omw (it should have happened there!)
I don't know when the fault started but it could have been when I last did a standard OS update.
I wonder if there is another setting elsewhere that inhibits it.
And I do have a Mac KB. I am on a MacBook Air

Take off all the text shortcuts and go with just default. See if it behaves correctly.
Now add one text shortcut - give it a test run.
What happens?

Create a new user just to try this out.

Then, log out of your current user, log IN to your new user.
Test the keyboard text replacement. On my way! would be a good test. (It changed instantly for me :D after typing the letters [o.m.w]
Make sure that your "Region" in the Language and Regions pref pane is set for United States, and that the Preferred Languages list has English at the top. You can also try deleting any other languages showing by selecting, then click (-) to remove.
Make sure that your keyboard (Keyboard pane/Input sources tab) is set as a U.S. keyboard, and not something else like an extended unicode setting.
Finally, go to the Keyboard/Text pane again. Change the Spelling preference from "Automatic by Language" to "U.S. English".

BTW, your title confused me into thinking at first that you were having a (hardware) problem with a replacement keyboard.
You might have a better thread title, like "Keyboard text replacements not working" :D

BTW, your title confused me into thinking at first that you were having a (hardware) problem with a replacement keyboard.
You might have a better thread title, like "Keyboard text replacements not working" :D

I had the same impression. I corrected the title.

Replacements used to work OK but now they do not. Why?
(e.g. when I typed meb the software inserted my email address: stephenbs3@yahoo.co.uk )
I'm on version 10.11.6.
I have the same problem. It's been happening for several months. When I first boot up my machine everything works fine, then eventually the text shortcuts stop working. Then I reboot, and it starts working again. It's very annoying to have to reboot while an urgent task is in process. Why is it doing this? Is Apple ever going to fix it? I'm on 10.13.5.

I have the same problem. It's been happening for several months. When I first boot up my machine everything works fine, then eventually the text shortcuts stop working. Then I reboot, and it starts working again. It's very annoying to have to reboot while an urgent task is in process. Why is it doing this? Is Apple ever going to fix it? I'm on 10.13.5.

It’s mostly a third party service that is interfering with the shortcuts! Do you have any other program that deals with fonts? If so how old is that program?

I've experienced when MacOS does an upgrade, its recent shortcuts and system preferences like text substitutions won't work until you restart the machine manually. This instance happened with me in my last updates. So, I restarted my machine manually then text substitutions work again. I hope this process will work on your computer. Goodluck!

Back