Large screen and photos.... Need options and advice.

TRUENORTH

Registered
Hello,
I just recently bought an IMAC with a 27" screen. After pulling some photos off the internet, I tried to bring them up on the screen and they're fuzzy and of course, not clear. What am I doing wrong...?

What application are you using to view the photos?
iPhoto?
Preview?
Finder?
Something else?
If iPhoto, be sure to also try Preview.

What is the resolution of those photos that you are downloading? If you are not sure, the file size for the photos may tell a lot about the quality of file that you have.

Hello,
I have used both Imovie & I photo. I even tried changing the screen display size in systems prefs. Still the same problem. Some of the photos are asmall as 271x186 10 kb jpeg and up to 600+ etc,... It ok if the pictures doesnt fit the WHOLE screen but at least 80% since people will be walking by it and I dont want them squinting at the photos...Thanks for you help

Those images are FAR too low-resolution to be displayed crisply and cleanly at the size you want.

There's nothing wrong with your computer -- the problem lies totally in the size and resolution of the images you're trying to display. To offer a parallel, you're taking a postage stamp into Kinko's and blowing it up to fit on an 11 x 17 piece of paper -- not even the best copier/scanner in the world can make that look good (well, maybe the BEST one can, but that scanner isn't located at Kinko's).

To remedy the problem, you will need to find versions of those photos and images that are MUCH higher resolution and/or size.

Nooooooo! One of the reasons I bought this large screen was for displaying pictures at Home Shows. Thats horrible news... dang!

Well, again, there is nothing wrong with your screen at all... in fact, it's a fabulous screen.

In all honesty and to be blunt, the problem is that you've got a fabulous screen on which you're trying to display crappy, junk images (not the content of the images, just the quality of them). No screen in the world is going to make those low-resolution images look better.

If you're going to be lifting images from the internet, then one of your best friends should be http://images.google.com. When you perform your image search, on the left-hand side of the screen, ensure that you've selected the image filter for image size and click on "Large." This will only produce images that are of a large size -- that doesn't mean they'll be able to scale 600% like you want, but it will ensure that they are large images and may, in fact, look decent on your monitor.

I'm not going to get into copyright and ownership of images -- lifting images from the internet, you have to be careful about the copyrights on the images and whether or not you're allowed to be using them in the context in which you're using them. That's a completely different discussion altogether. Someone owns those pictures, and since you're lifting them from the internet, that person probably isn't you. You may be setting foot into copyright infringement territory, but again, this is something you need to tackle and work out yourself.

As it stands now, though, you're trying to take a postage stamp-size image and scale it up many magnitudes -- 600% or more. Again, nothing in the world will make this look acceptable.

Yes, I know its not the computer or the screen but it was my hope to see the photos that I have taken and the few from the franchise I have, on this screen. BUMMMERRRR! I will try the image/google route. Thanks so much for your help!!!

I also lost alot of my photos unsure why... I go to my iphoto and it shows I have 25 photos but they pictures dont appear. just a frame ? kinda confused about that...? Im sure it was me ...:-/

Back