LaunchBar

hazmat

Rusher of Din
Anyone here use LaunchBar? I've been playing with it and it seems extremely useful. One thing, though. If I type "ie", no reference whatsoever comes up for Internet Explorer. Yes, I know the browser is a piece of crap, but in the rare cases I want to use it.....

using lauchbar too! Couldn't live without it. Esspecially the quick access to folders and also contacts... wonderful.
you can even set up your own shortcuts for any app. I use ww for safari. ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
using lauchbar too! Couldn't live without it. Esspecially the quick access to folders and also contacts... wonderful.
you can even set up your own shortcuts for any app. I use ww for safari. ;)

Thanks, but why would it not find Internet Explorer when I type 'ie', especially when it's right there in the Appllications folder and the docs say that it will match exactly something like that? It doesn't even show up in the drop-down list.

Oops! I didn't get you explained a problem in your post... Sorry! :D
What do you mean with "... and the docs say that it will match exactly something like that?"?
Did you try to add internetexplorer manually? Or does it show up when you type "inter"?

Ok, checked over here, and typing "inter" calls the explorer. If you want to change this, you should open configuration and search for the internetexplorer-add. Edit the name and add "ie" at the end of the title. (use space so it's not mixed)

This is from the documentation:

LaunchBar uses a very powerful, adaptive abbreviation search algorithm that allows you to use arbitrary abbreviations to locate those items whose name matches the entered abbreviation.

Say you want to open "Adobe Photoshop", you may use AP, ADO, PHO, ADPS, and so on. Please note that LaunchBar not only searches for items with matching initial characters (ADOB -> Adobe Photoshop) or contained character sequences (PHOTO -> Adobe Photoshop), but you can use any combination of characters, provided that they appear in the same order (ADPS -> Adobe Photoshop).

This tells me that if I type 'ie' it should list Internet Explorer. What you suggested doesn't work either. I emailed the developer, but haven't heard back yet.

Is your Application folder added in launchbar? And if so, try to scan the folder once more. This looks to me like the Internet Explorer is not in the list of launchbar or is it?
If it is, than you should really wait for the developers to reply.
But since everything else is (what I assume) working fine, I doubt there is a bug with this. Do you have the latest version (3.2.12)?

LaunchBar may be getting confused, since more than one application containing the letters 'i' and 'e' in that particular order are on your hard drive... like "Internet Connect" so it may not be launching anything because it doesn't know what to launch!

Try manually adding Internet Explorer and setting it to launch for the keyboard action 'ie'.

I do have the latest version. I'll try rescanning, but from what I could see, /Applications was in the scan list. I find other apps with their initials or first 2 or 3 letters.

I still think that 'ie' is too broad a term for it to select Internet Explorer, since other apps have that same letter combination in their name... ???

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I still think that 'ie' is too broad a term for it to select Internet Explorer, since other apps have that same letter combination in their name... ???

I understand what you're saying, but shouldn't IE at least appear in that drop-down list? There's a long list with scrollbar, but it's not even in there. Even typing "inter" doesn't bring it up.

but than it should (at least) pop up in the list somewhere. And if I got hazmat right, it doesn't at all.
What makes me believe that it's not listed at all...

LaunchBar is an excellent piece of software, one which often seems to impress those who don't have it, but the price is a little too much for me, considering it's just a small addition and that the dock actually can do these things (just not as fancy or easily)

Just to have one more post... ;)

Here a screenshot from my configuration on internet explorer (which is listed in the Application menu)

Thanks. Yeah, mine is in fact in there. Oh well. I will hopefully be installing 10.3 tonight so I will take it from there.

Try entering IE, then use the arrow keys to locate Internet Explorer. Quit, then use Launcher and try entering IE again. The app 'learns', and will do it 'right' the next time. Just verified this with my copy under 10.2.8.

arden, the case doesn't make any difference. I tried here.
psmerd, this is what hazmat already did. He said that Internet Explorer is not even in the drop down list... And when a programm is not even in the list, the learning doesn't change anything.
Guess we all just have to wait for hazmat to check, if Internet Explorer is included in launchbar or not

Is there any way to drag the IE icon into the drop-down menu?

Maybe this is a hint... it's saying "Use Safari!" ;)

Back