League of Legends on Mac!

KanjiKado

Registered
League of Legends, aka LoL, (video) is an amazing DotA style MOBA game. It’s got to be my favorite game currently. Problem is, I’m a Mac gamer, and this game runs on windows. However, there’s a Mac client out there and it works just fine, just that there seems to be no way to install it. It’s one of the best games on Mac, just impossible to play. Until now.

I spent such a long time looking for a way to get the Mac client, and I found it, so I want to share the knowledge with the rest of the community so they don’t have to spend an entire week searching the Internet like I did. Anyways, I’ll put the instructions in an easy to follow, numbered order. Just follow them and You’ll have LoL working on your Mac.

It’s the most amazing free game I've ever played, I highly recommend you should check it out even if you're not a fan of the game style.

As for system requirements, I'm not sure about it. It runs more then perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.6
  1. First step is to make an account if you don’t already have one. Just go to the account creation page and fill in the required fields. This takes less then a minute.
  2. Once you have an account, you can download and install the disk image found here.
  3. Mount the disk image and run the installer. I believe this installs the Pando Media Booster (required to play the game?) and the LoL Mac client installer.
  4. Run the file you just installed. This will install the actual client and Adobe Air (also required to play?) People I’ve helped so far have had problems with this step if they don’t install Adobe Air or if they install the game under

Macintosh HD/Users/yourname/Applications

instead of

Macintosh HD/Applications

5. Now that the file’s downloaded, you need to run it. IIRC, some generic windows will open and then close, and then the game won’t work. Next step is the hardest part of the installation.
  6. You need to download and unzip this file. You then need to take the 3 items in the unzipped folder and copy them. Then right click on the League of Legends file under applications and select “Show Package Contents”. Navigate to

Contents/Resources/Transgaming/c_drive/rads/projects/lol_launcher /releases/0.0.0.15 /Deploy

There will be one file there. Delete it, and paste the 3 files you copied earlier.
  7. Launch the client, and then it will install the latest patches. It usually gets stuck near the end and you have to force quit it and then launch again.
  8. That’s it! You’re ready to play! I hope you enjoy the game on Mac as much as I do :)
Some other things that will help you enjoy the Mac client to the fullest extent:

• It doesn’t currently seem to support USB headphones :(. You can work around this by using ones that use the headphone jack or just using your computer’s regular speakers.
  • When you’re done with a window, it minimizes instead of closing. This isn’t a big deal, just don’t mess around with it and nothing bad will happen.
  • If you do something out of the ordinary (such as let your computer go to sleep while the game is running) It occasionally won’t quit properly so next time you try to launch it, it won’t run. To fix this you need to either log out and log back in, or restart the computer. The game will be back to normal as soon as you do this, so you can go back to having fun.

Hope I was able to help. If you need any extra assistance, post here or PM me. :D

Last edited:
Recently, Riot games has closed service to the Mac client. It's no longer possible to log in from a Mac, but a way to fix this has been found.

You need to download this file. Then right click on League of Legends and select "show package contents". Navigate to:

Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/rads/projects/lol_launcher/releases/0.0.0.33/deploy

Place the file there and say "yes" to replace the old one.

Now league will run just fine ;)

I'll edit this into the original post once I can figure out how to edit posts again.

I just got my first mac today. i am trying to follow the instructions you have here. but when I go to run the LoL installer it says " error creating installation directory" what do I do?

I had someone have that error before and I solved it by uploading my installed version of the client and having him download it and run it straight off. It would take pretty much all day for me to upload it again (lost the link). Here's my guesses to why it's not working/how to make it work:

-It's possible they blocked the mac downloader since they shut down the mac version of the game
-Make sure you have permissions to install
-Make sure you're installing the game under

instead of

or vice versa
-You're running at least Mac OSX 10.6.6 and have a few gigs free space.

Aside from that, I'm honestly not sure. I haven't tried to install it anywhere else in a few months and I'm a bit sketchy remembering how the installer actually works.

Again, I'm not an expert, but my guess as how to fix this would be to manually install adobe air. It also seems to not work on 10.5, but will work 10.6 and 10.7. It wont run on a powerpc either. If you computer meets those specifications, I'd try installing it under a different location. If you're still unable to solve it, though, I'll upload the patched version of the client for you and vinyasa to use.

I had someone have that error before and I solved it by uploading my installed version of the client and having him download it and run it straight off. It would take pretty much all day for me to upload it again (lost the link). Here's my guesses to why it's not working/how to make it work:

-It's possible they blocked the mac downloader since they shut down the mac version of the game
-Make sure you have permissions to install
-Make sure you're installing the game under

instead of

or vice versa
-You're running at least Mac OSX 10.6.6 and have a few gigs free space.

Aside from that, I'm honestly not sure. I haven't tried to install it anywhere else in a few months and I'm a bit sketchy remembering how the installer actually works.

This worked thank you so much!!!!!! I am so happy right now

I downloaded and installed the game, and launched it fine. I try to go into the tutorial game, and the loading bar fills but the game crashes, and it just displays

['.\string_s.c' (700)]::mbstowcs_s(): ERROR-> invalid parameter! {expression = 'invalid MBS character'}

Did everything, worked my way through the download and install, got to the login page and it comes up with:

'Client version 1.48.11_11_22_18_07 is rejected by server.'

When I click log in.
Help please?

Okay but when I change the region and everything it takes it back to the original Riot Games launching system, so then i delete the files and copy paste the three from this site in and then it comes up with undefined and then it just keeps going round in circles?!

Install lower version after that you over ride it with latest version, got it?!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi i have problem with lol. i did every thing that you said but there when i needed to delete files there were more then one file. i deleted them and put those tat i needed to copy. instalation started but it is writen on all things undefined and it stay on 1/4 of instalation. can you help?

thx

what do i do for step three to get to step 4. i dont quite understand. I'm not that smart with downloading stuff, putting it into certain files and all that stuff haha.. please dumb it down for me. thanks!

I just got my first mac today. i am trying to follow the instructions you have here. but when I go to run the LoL installer it says " error creating installation directory" what do I do?

I figured this error out, but it's a bit tricky.

First, open Terminal.app (it's in Applications/Utilities)

Then type (or paste) the following in to the terminal which opens:

sudo chmod a+w /Library/Application\ Support/

This will ask you for your password. Type it into the terminal app.

Then type/paste this one:

mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/Media Booster"

After that, it should be able to install.

Back