Leopard: Bugs/Compatibility Reports

Quickbooks 2005 ran perfectly on Tiger. Now that I have Leopard, I have encountered several problems. The first is that it always unexpectedly quits after typing the business file password, and needs to be relaunched, sometimes endlessly. THere are some files that will not open at all, and I've been depending upon the backup file on the memory stick, (This problem seems to occur more often when the backup file is located on the hard drive, as opposed to a memory stick, but it happens in both cases).
The second problem is that none of the pop-up scroll menus work. On a sales receipt, for example, the items do not appear in the scroll down menu unless you type them in. Once typed in, all of the information for that item displays on the receipt. A third problem is that taxable sale items come up as non-taxable on receipts.

Anyone else with this problem?

OK, here is the latest:

1) Lost the devices in iSync and cannot figure out how to see the iPod and .mac account. Anyone know what to do there?
2) iTunes has twice forgotten where the library is. Took a while to find the hint on holding down the shift key while launching the app. The partition that holds my music files unmounted itself and had to be repaired before it remembered its name and allowed itself to be remounted. Not sure it that is iTunes related.
3) Who knew that Leopard would not support iPhoto 2.whatever? Had me going for a while, grabbed 4.something off my son. All set.
4) Cannot seem to clear the permissions. After a dozen attempts, here is what I keep getting in the results window:
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups/cupsd.conf", should be 26, group is 4294967294.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups/ppd", should be 26, group is 4294967294.
Group differs on "private/var/spool/cups/cache", should be 26, group is 4294967294.
Group differs on "private/var/spool/cups/tmp", should be 26, group is 4294967294.
Group differs on "private/var/spool/cups", should be 26, group is 4294967294.
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 26, group is 4294967294.

Any thoughts on what the implications are of these cryptic messages? What are these SUID files and how important are they? Any and all suggestions on what to do gratefully accepted.

SRD

Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Any thoughts on what the implications are of these cryptic messages? What are these SUID files and how important are they? Any and all suggestions on what to do gratefully accepted.

The exact same warnings are coming up for me. Another forum stated not to worry about it. ???

Satcomer, didn't get to it yet, but that's not the first I heard that there was a difference in the two files. Will so soon - tho probably not until tomorrow - and report. Thanks for the prompt response!

SRD

I purchased my Mac Mini on the 2nd November 2007. I installed 10.5.0. The instructions said that I had to install 10.4.10 first (discs provided). My Mac Mini has a 80 GB hard drive and after complete installation I was left with 42 GB.

I then experienced multiple problems (even with the 10.5.1 update). So I did a clean install. Now I have 50GB of hard disc space left and a more reliable and efficient system. All programs from the original install (including iLife) were reinstalled.

What gives?

Well did my above suggestion help at all?

Sort of, there are fewer permissions that cannot be repaired. I would paste the list here, but after the first time of running the Disk Utility in Repair Permissions mode the machine now crashes (twice) and this last reboot the machine hung trying to send the crash report to Apple.

I am seriously wondering what possessed me to go with the first round of Leopard. I should have waited for the first 5 revs. My productivity is through the floor. I haven't had this kind of annoyance in computing life since Windows ME made me blow my fuse.

Oh yeah - there is something very wrong now that I have installed the 10.5.1 patch off the apple.com site! Hung this morning (woke, but stuck in screensaver image) and then after a reboot and a half hour into getting work done it rolls the gray shade down and tells me to restart the machine. Only had Address Book, Mail, iChat, Word and Safari open.

Dear God - don't tell me I need to do a clean and install!?!?

Just thought I'd pass this along in case it might help anyone else.

On a 17" PowerBook G4 I was unable to install Leopard because I had upgraded the original 1GB of RAM to 2GB using RAM I purchased from Crucial, however, once I put the original RAM back in, Leopard installed fine, and even recognized the new (Crucial) RAM when I reinstalled it following a successful install of Leopard.

Here's what happened - the Leopard DVD passed it's own integrity check and started the install, giving me a time estimate. At about halfway through, it failed with an error message indicated my 'source media is damaged" and suggesting that I use a different copy of the source (install) DVD. I tried a half-dozen or more times with the same result, regardless of which upgrade method I chose (upgrade, archive & install, or erase & install).

Since I naturally assumed that the message was correct, and the DVD was somehow damaged, I called Apple and they sent a replacement DVD. Same problem. Still assuming the replacement DVD must have [coincidentally] also been damaged, I had Apple send yet another replacement. Same problem. I didn't think it was possible to get three damaged DVDs.

At that point I recalled that the RAM was not the original Apple-supplied memory and thankfully I still had the original (2 512MB sticks) which I reinstalled, after which Leopard installed from the original purchased retail copy with NO problems.

I put back in the Crucial RAM (2 1GB sticks) and Leopard recognized it just fine. No problems in the past week since this happened.

SO it seems that Leopard does not like OEM RAM when performing an install, but has no problem with recognizing it once it's installed.

Needless to say I am going to keep the original RAM in case I have trouble with future upgrades.

My Problems:

- NAS devices take FOREVER to connect to.
- same finder issue above, unmounting sometimes does NOT unmount properly or quickly for that matter, beachball of death.
- Printing across wifi aiport network to Epson Stylus R380 = no go, just craps out, no reasons why, no errors, just doesn't print. (tried everything possible, including remove drivers, reinstall, and test on multiple macs, ONLY happens on leopard, prior worked perfectly fine.
- file sharing... takes FOREVER most of the time, i heard there is a major networking stack issue with leopard, that wasn't a problem with Tiger.
- Time machine.. should be good enough to work over Airport Extreme connection to NAS or whatever.. whole reason I upgraded, they yanked the plug last minute on network backup.
- computer hangs slightly for about 30 secs to 45 secs if connected to network share/external hdd, just before shutdown/restart. can be reproduced everytime even on a fresh clean install without unmounting.

- finder. devices list. shouldn't there be some sort of quick list that just authenticates to previous mounted network volumes? its a pain going to finder and shared list everytime then authenticating just to get access.
- keychain, major problem with storing network passwords, airport, disks, whatever... on my iMac fresh installation it works perfectly fine, on my macbook pro after fresh installation, it never remembers commonly accessed drives, shares. ALWAYS asking do you want to remember this.. even though the correct login/password is highlighted then in the box. RIDICULOUS.

- i love some of features of leopard, and it really helps me out, but, the issues that don't work, make it a pain!! I'm just not impressed with how many bugs/issues there are with this. like what do we all do now? just wait for apple to fix them......... sorry to say but, as easy as a mac is out of the box, it sure isn't on leopard right now..

oh one more thing..

- AFP / SMB/CIFS, even after turning just SMB on or just AFP on, I can still see the same pc's, and the connection doesn't even work differently. well, slightly better if just AFP is on.. but still, what good is that if I have a few pc's hosting content, or even in a workplace, with both mac/pc. its sloow, and unstable.

My Problems:

oh one more thing..

- AFP / SMB/CIFS, even after turning just SMB on or just AFP on, I can still see the same pc's, and the connection doesn't even work differently. well, slightly better if just AFP is on.. but still, what good is that if I have a few pc's hosting content, or even in a workplace, with both mac/pc. its sloow, and unstable.

Well good luck with that AFB/SMB/CIFS situation (what ever the heck that is), I just wanted to keep up the saga, as it seems like the only sustained story of pain left in this thread.

I copied over everything from my main HD to ready for an erase and install. All the while the machine kept dying on me in the middle, either by hanging up or by dropping the "gray screen of inconvenience," as someone called it. Days, it took days. Finally I loaded the install DVD and at the last second, chickened out and did an archive and install - preserve. Did the 10.5.1 upgrade from the Apple site. All seemed good. For the first half hour.

I have only had to restart twice due to apps not being able to completely load (iTunes, iSync and Software Update) and ignoring Force Quit. Very slow now. Looking at Activity Monitor (before it hung) the CPU was nearly fully utilized. I am on a 1 GHz 17" Powerbook G4, limited to 1 Gb of RAM. Will have to try an erase and install - this chugging cannot last. Now copying the "Previous Systems" folder over to the external HD.

Really? Am I the only one having all this trouble? Or is no one else writing? Or is everyone writing somewhere else?

Really? Am I the only one having all this trouble? Or is no one else writing? Or is everyone writing somewhere else?

Not sure if anyone is listening any more (aka the great tree-in-the-forest question) but if for nothing other than digital posterity, here is the latest.

The problems became less frequent, so I waited to see what would shake out before doing the erase and install. I went to the genius bar to get an expert's opinion and he suggested that I downgrade to Tiger to wait out Apple optimizing Leopard for less demand on the CPU. He suggested using SuperDooper as an alternative to Time Machine while on Tiger. Not wanting to ruin the Christmas holiday, I held off and there were relatively few incidents of apps hanging or crashing. I tried to close apps when I wasn't using them and got over that annoyance relatively quickly. But there are still problems, it's time to do it.

Wish me luck (who? Who am I talking to?)

I am listening, and very interested. I have been holding off on upgrading my quad-core G5 from Tiger to Leopard because it is my primary (and mission-critical) machine and I cannot risk having trouble with it. I finally have things working well on my laptop (17" PowerBook G4), which I upgraded to Leopard a few weeks ago, but I haven't yet got the guts to do my main machine. I would be very interested in your results. Thanks for following up!

If this is mission critical, don't try the upgrade until you have a second solution.

Original PopCap Alchemy does not like Leopard as does Original Bejeweled. I did lash out on B2 & new graphics like > "Wow!

I bought my MacPro laptop last July with the OS X system and everything worked fine. When I upgraded to Leopard just after it came out I noticed that when I want to check a word in the Thesaurus in MS WORD, the Dictionary/Thesaurus screen comes up, and there is a definition of the word in the Dictionary part, but the Thesaurus box is blank. If I close the Thesaurus and open it again then the synonyms are there. If I then click on one of those words to see the synonyms for it, the same thing happens. Definition in the dictionary but blank for the Thesaurus. Again, if I close it, then the synonyms appear. WORD and the Thesaurus feature worked ok under the OS X system -- just started having the problem with Leopard.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Back