Leopard: Bugs/Compatibility Reports

I just recently upgraded to Leopard, and I'm happy to say all the programs I was really worried about seem to work just fine.

The first is Photoshop CS (the first one, 8.0). There's no way I'm paying for the latest version (I've never bought a new version of Photoshop), and I've heard other old versions had issues. Fortunately so far I've had no real troubles. I just needed to copy "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types" from my old system to my new system to get it to open files dragged onto the app's icon. I remember that I had to do the same thing when I upgraded from Panther to Tiger.

My SIMBL plugins work just fine, too! I was scared about that because I've heard that Input Managers (which SIMBL is built around) were limited in Leopard. But once I installed the newest version of SIMBL, everything worked fine. I use several SIMBL plugins I've written myself, and they all work fine. I didn't even need to recompile them.

iKey still works, too. I've been keeping it around for a long time because it's the only app I can find that will let me change the sound volume with a customizable hotkey and have the standard volume notification window appear. Since I use a non-Apple keyboard with no volume control keys, this is convenient.

Windows, modals, dialogues occasionally disappear from individual desktops with Spaces enabled, but they are visible, unassociated to any desktop (i.e., floating in mid-air) when Spaces [view everything] is invoked. It is not possible to drag the window onto a desktop from Spaces when that happens, and the window's owner needs to be shut down and restarted.

That's a big piss off.

I was copying my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, in one shot, from my backup drive to my home folder when that first happened. Finder's copy progress window disappeared, and it took me a while to figure out what was bugging (I knew it was still copying like mad but the progress window was gone).

Also, Archive & Install failed, but that's not news to anyone. In OS X lore it seems to be deemed almost totally untrustworthy by most people. This was with the 10.5.1 install DVD.

hey
i have a slightly similar issue.
we have 4 macs on a network with a remote hard disk connected to the network directly (a simpleshare). 2 of the macs are on 10.5 and the other 2 are still running on the 10.4. the 10.5 computers keep unmounting the network hard disk erratically, and moreover some folders of the HD show first a file icon, then when clicked disappear from the hard disk list altogether; whereas they are perfectly accessible from the 10.4 ones.
any clue what could be the reason for that? and if it has a solution?

thx

What have they done to Apple mail. It crashes so often since I've updated to Leopard 10.5.2 that its driving me crazy. Also other programs like Endnote seem to have this problem. This is just really unacceptable.

Loaded 10.5.2 fine but still for no apparant reason getting spinning colored wheel of doom
& Screen lockup. Keyboard short cuts will not work so Power button close & clen install, Run diagnostics, Permissions etc & then take pot luck. Some days good, Some days bad & up to 3/4 incidents per day. Today a lot of bad language! Ciao , bunyip.

Loaded 10.5.2 fine but still for no apparant reason getting spinning colored wheel of doom
& Screen lockup. Keyboard short cuts will not work so Power button close & clen install, Run diagnostics, Permissions etc & then take pot luck. Some days good, Some days bad & up to 3/4 incidents per day. Today a lot of bad language! Ciao , bunyip.

Try SpeedMail to see if it helps. Let it run, it will take longer for large saved Mail databases.

Good Luck.

I purchased my MacPro Quad 2.66 in August 2007, with Tiger installed. Upgraded to Leopard 10.5.1 on February 12. Several very serious problems, though none that appear to involve third party software. First, the wireless network in my house disappeared the instant I installed Leopard. Have not been able to get it back as yet. (Apparently there are thousands of Leopard users with this problem.) Second, Software Update will not allow me to install 10.5.2 because I have "insufficient access privileges." So far, no fixes have worked for either of these problems. I am paying an Apple Tech $180.00 to come and fix these problems this week. Not good, after 20+ years of Mac use. Too much like Windows, trying to fix this stuff.

Since 10.5.2, Similar problems have been happening, like crashing mail app, beachball of death, otherwise things have been ok except a critical printing issue I have now.

Samsung CLP-500, It plugs into the Airport Extreme USB port, occasionally it prints, since its always on, sometimes now in the middle of nothing it'll print an error page, with a few characters on it. When I go to system preferences, it shows its printing normally, but says "device is in use..." just sits there.

ontop of that, the only way it seems to print now is if it feels like it, or I sometimes delete the printer from the printer list and it will spew out my pending pages.

Everything worked extremely well before 10.5.2, I unfortunately cannot go without a printer. I don't know how else to solve this problem!

I Appreciate apple putting effort towards future updates and the updates they have put out, but everywhere you look, millions of people are happy / millions are not. How can it be so random that things work/don't work??

To make things worse, since updating from Tiger to Leopard on both Macbook Pro, and iMac Aluminum, bluetooth just doesn't work anymore with my phones, removed all the settings for file transfer from blackberry, says "service is not available on this device" when clearly it was working perfectly fine, on Tiger. (this is another issue though, printer issue is top priority!)

thanks anyone who can help!

I have been able to solve part of my problem--about insufficient privileges to update--by downloading the combined updater from the Apple web site instead of using Software Update. The updater I downloaded worked. However, I continue to have the same problems with my home network, and it remains among the "disappeared."

I've found that in a normal environment, interference robustness would never do anything for me. If I was a good distance away from the 'G' router that I have, then I would lose some signal. A good fix for this was to get an 'N' router. It's range is quite a bit further away than the 'G' series routers.

The comment about G versus N routers may be valid, perhaps, but the fact that there are 8 wireless networks available from my neighbors makes me wonder. Do all of my neighbors (perhaps all of them using PCs) have N routers? It seems unlikely. My G router is the closest router to my wife's iMac and it does not even appear in her Airport list. It worked perfectly until I installed Leopard. Some of the wireless networks we are picking up are more than 200 feet away.

What I would do is switch the channels on YOUR G router. Go to channel 11 or 1. If you choose the opposite end of the spectrum, so to speak, your router should be available to you. There is more than likely a more powerful router somewhere that's on the same channel as yours.

Although why this should occur at exactly the same hour I upgraded to Leopard is a big mystery, no?? I do have an Apple tech arriving at my office tomorrow afternoon, and I'll let you know how this all pans out.

Sorry if this is double post.
Powerbook G4 1.67gHz, 17"
Leopard 10.5.2

Just installed Leopard last week and upgraded to 10.5.2. Dock is not highlighting active running programs/apps. Ctrl-tab also doesn't show them. But if I click the icon the app window displays and acts properly. Activity monitor also shows them. Right click the icon and it acts as if the app is not running, displaying Open, Remove From Dock, etc. This isn't a showstopper but I would like to find out what's going on. The machine is running at 99% Cpu usage, but I'm running some very cpu intensive programs. Under Tiger things were happening normally. Haven't really changed the application mix since installing.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2. Wish I hadn't

1 Lost all of my printers. Had great difficulty reinstalling. Needed new drivers that work with Leopard; Have had to reinstall HP driver three days in a row.
2 Lost a lot of my network connections. Had to set them up again, sometimes several times.
3 Network keeps dropping out. Play with network preferences and they sometimes come back, reboot, reset router, etc. Frustrating.
4 Mouse/Trackpad behaves in a sticky manner. You drag, it pauses before it wakes up.
5 A lot of applications no longer function. No Leopard version available.
6 The dock isn't what I thought it would be like. It opens just another window.

Don’t install it until there is a newer version with less bugs!

I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2. Wish I hadn't

1 Lost all of my printers. Had great difficulty reinstalling. Needed new drivers that work with Leopard; Have had to reinstall HP driver three days in a row.
2 Lost a lot of my network connections. Had to set them up again, sometimes several times.
3 Network keeps dropping out. Play with network preferences and they sometimes come back, reboot, reset router, etc. Frustrating.
4 Mouse/Trackpad behaves in a sticky manner. You drag, it pauses before it wakes up.
5 A lot of applications no longer function. No Leopard version available.
6 The dock isn't what I thought it would be like. It opens just another window.

Don’t install it until there is a newer version with less bugs!

WHY, I say why with all the stories from Mac users "upgrading"from Tiger then why you did you go through Archive & Install process? This way you would get most of you files but get ride of OLD OS X "plugins" that messes up Leopard. Plus you would have kept all of your Network settings.

TO ALL Mac Users going to Leopard (or ANY OS X upgrade versions) DO NOT go the standard "Upgrading" way of installing a new OS X. Always hit the "Options" button and select "Archive & Install". You will never had most of the new OS X upgrading problems like the one listed here.

I have a PowerPC G4 with dual 1.25GHz processors and 1.75Gb memory, a hand-me-down from my son.

My son just upgraded me from Panther to Leopard (v10.5.2). Now iPhoto does not launch. On the report, the iPhoto version is just "??? (???)"; Build Info is iPhotoProject-560800~1.

On these forums I saw a post "iPhoto 6 hangs with Leopard". I don't know if I have iPhoto 6 or another version. That thread suggested running Software Updates; when I do this it list updates for AirportUtility, iTunes and Leopard Graphics: "Leopard Graphics Update is recommended for all users and improves the stability and compatibility of your Mac. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2."

My machine does not meet the system requirements for iLife08 so that upgrade path is not an option.

Would applying the leopard Graphics update resolve the problem?

Otherwise, how can I find all my photo files again?

This is my first post so please excuse any errors.

For what its worth, I had exactly the same problems as Trisha with "damaged" Leopard installation discs and took them back to the Apple Store here in Toronto 3 times. I think the memory was the problem too.

Leopard has been by far the worst Apple OS I've had in 25 years. Very unstable with many application and some system crashes.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case it might help anyone else.

On a 17" PowerBook G4 I was unable to install Leopard because I had upgraded the original 1GB of RAM to 2GB using RAM I purchased from Crucial, however, once I put the original RAM back in, Leopard installed fine, and even recognized the new (Crucial) RAM when I reinstalled it following a successful install of Leopard.

Here's what happened - the Leopard DVD passed it's own integrity check and started the install, giving me a time estimate. At about halfway through, it failed with an error message indicated my 'source media is damaged" and suggesting that I use a different copy of the source (install) DVD. I tried a half-dozen or more times with the same result, regardless of which upgrade method I chose (upgrade, archive & install, or erase & install).

Since I naturally assumed that the message was correct, and the DVD was somehow damaged, I called Apple and they sent a replacement DVD. Same problem. Still assuming the replacement DVD must have [coincidentally] also been damaged, I had Apple send yet another replacement. Same problem. I didn't think it was possible to get three damaged DVDs.

At that point I recalled that the RAM was not the original Apple-supplied memory and thankfully I still had the original (2 512MB sticks) which I reinstalled, after which Leopard installed from the original purchased retail copy with NO problems.

I put back in the Crucial RAM (2 1GB sticks) and Leopard recognized it just fine. No problems in the past week since this happened.

SO it seems that Leopard does not like OEM RAM when performing an install, but has no problem with recognizing it once it's installed.

Needless to say I am going to keep the original RAM in case I have trouble with future upgrades.

how to change the rainbow circle that appear when mac is opening something bigger.. how to change the color and maybe the icon?..

Back