Leopard: Bugs/Compatibility Reports

I've never been an early adopter of new OSs, simply because I cannot afford the downtime of being a guinea pig while Apple sorts out the bugs. For that reason, I have only just got round to upgrading to Leopard - 10.5.5 to be exact.

Boy, oh boy, but I wish I had stayed with Tiger!

As a publisher/graphic designer, I do a lot of printing to my Xerox Phaser 7400DT. Only I can't now. And my collection of Type 1 fonts seems to be useless.

And who the f*ck has been taking drugs at Apple? Why have they done that to Helvetica Neue!? As a graphic designer, I use Helvetica Neue frequently - I may not necessarily like it, but it is a staple of graphic design. Fortunately, I have managed to find a way around that by deleting it from the Protected Fonts folder.

Rant over... temporarily, but only because I can't maintain that level of anger for that long without bustin' several blood vessels.

Hmmmmm . . . I still have Tiger loaded on my Ex-HD in the case I grew fed-up with Leopard. So far so good, but clearly you use it for different things.

Dare I ask you if you had to update your drivers?

--J.D.

Did you upgrade instead of clean installing? Upgrades generally create more havoc than clean installs. About Helvetica Neue: Apple's been f****ing with Helvetica since at least Mac OS X 10.1. Just like they've been trying to get my Cmd-Space for various system-related tasks, although I clearly need to use it for Photoshop since System 7 days.

It's kinda taken for granted that, when you buy an upgrade, you can upgrade the system you already have. It has always worked for me so far. I have experienced a few minor hiccups with previous upgrades, but never anything this big!

It's looking increasingly like I'll have to do a Clean Install, which, considering the number of large, complex applications I use on a daily basis, is a major undertaking!

My first Apple computer was an Apple ll and I've continued with Apple computers (and operating systems) ever since. I've had more problems with Leopard than any other and, sadly, clean installs have almost become routine. Hopefully, recent upgrades have solved the problems.

I have a Hewlett-Packard printer. Their very new software for OS X 10 seems compatible. However, until recently, their printers were causing all sorts of problems in OS X and they were overwhelmed with complaints. This may be the sort of problem Captain Quark is experiencing with his printer. I'd check it out seriously.

My opinion is that Leopard works best on an Intel machine. I have a PowerPC. Steve has a way of forcing us into the future. Thats why Apple has $25 billion in cash these days with no debt.

Just received my new Pro Mac. Found out that my old Photoshop Elements is incompatible with leopard. Also, my 2004 Apple Display required a new $99.00 adapter to fit the
computer. Hope I am able to install my scanner and camera driver, if they are not
already built in.

Pro Mac 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 1 GB Ram 20" Apple Display

Well: At least Photoshop Elements is not _that_ pricey. Replacing Creative Suite costs quite a bit more.

Also, both of those "incompatibilities" could have been found out ahead of time with a tiny bit of online research.

When you change one aspect of your system (whether it be hardware, software, or the operating system), it is quite possible that other aspects of the system may be incompatible with those changes.

In addition, only one of those issues (Elements) is related to Leopard... the other is strictly hardware-related and OS-independent.

I have encountered problems getting my mac to download videos that are on my website in .flv format. The download appears as a page of code! My PC downloads and views the content just fine. My friend has a macbook with version 10.4.11 and it downloads and plays the video files without a problem. My mac is 10.5. I have also had another friend try on their mac 10.5 and they have the same issue as I do...Any ideas?

I have encountered problems getting my mac to download videos that are on my website in .flv format. The download appears as a page of code! My PC downloads and views the content just fine. My friend has a macbook with version 10.4.11 and it downloads and plays the video files without a problem. My mac is 10.5. I have also had another friend try on their mac 10.5 and they have the same issue as I do...Any ideas?

Yep. Flash had a bug. You have to fully deinstall Flash (use something like AppDelete plus get the Flash plugins out of /Library/Internet-Plugins/) before install the latest FlashPlayer plugin. This is even suggested by Adobe.

Thanks for your response. I cleared out the library, etc using the grag into trash method. I also downloaded Adobe Uninstall and ran that through to make sure the job was done. I then downloaded the player from Adobe and I am getting the same result...Any other things I can try?

I was copying something to my flashdrive and all of a sudden my finder isn't responding. So i relaunched it and waited about 5-10mins and nothing has happened. This is also not the first time this has happened to me.

I'm just doing a bit of research on Leopard, as need to drag myself out of a 10.3.9 hole, and came across this list from Mac Rumors, if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

P.S: If anyone has any tips for a nearly 5 year old powerbook, please do let me know! It's got desperately slow, so am looking to archive in an external drive (ordered and on the way) and upgrade my OS. I run on OS X 10.3.9 at the moment, but thinking of leaping up to Leopard...

P.S: If anyone has any tips for a nearly 5 year old powerbook, please do let me know! It's got desperately slow, so am looking to archive in an external drive (ordered and on the way) and upgrade my OS. I run on OS X 10.3.9 at the moment, but thinking of leaping up to Leopard...

Just make sure your PowerBook meets the minimum system requirements for Leopard -- namely, 512MB of RAM and at least an 867MHz G4 processor.

I've had some compatibility issues, namely The Missing Sync for Palm, a few CS3 apps, and a conduit that needs to be updated for a Canon C2880 printer. Those are issues that will be eventually taken care of by the 3rd party developers. My biggest problem with Leopard is the Mail program. It won't delete any of my AOL (IMAP) mail without me first moving the mail out of my in-box to another folder and then deleting it from there. It says the following:

The message “Mac OS X Leopard is here. Don't miss tonight's World Premiere.” could not be moved to the mailbox “Deleted Messages — IMAP Account”

The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: UID COPY failed Deleted Messages: no such mailbox.

Also, I can't delete anything that I have in my Drafts folder at all.

Does anyone else have this problem? Other than that, everything else – including Quicksilver – works fine.
We're having the problem with our c2800 as well. You mention something about "updating the conduit?" Do you mean you were able to resolve the problem? If so, how?

After installing Leopard i cannot login to my network server (NAS TS201) anymore.
Reason: password not recognized.
A window machine works fine. Have authorized guest temporariliy till i know why i cannot use passwords anymore?
Regards,
Gerrit

sorry to keep harping on, but it's still 'broken'. they've removed the interference robustness from the preferences in your airport menu, for no apparent reason. turns out it was the glue that kept my powermac on the wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mobile Connection Manager from O2 sometimes crashes after waking up from Sleep.
Flash plugin in Firefox seems to eat much CPU as my macpro get's hotter when using firefox with a flash website

Back