Leopard: Finder doesn't remember window

nuubie

Registered
I thought that once I have sized my windows/columns in Finder it would remember them. But its not. Just updated to 10.5.5 today. Is this normal? Surely I don't have to resize the Finder windows every single time I open one.

Well it is easy to reset the Finder(or any other program) by going to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/. To reset the Finder find the file com.apple.finder.plist and delete it. Then restart of log out then log back in. Once you are back in you will have to first click on the desktop, go to the menu item Finder and open Finder's preferences. There you can reset the settings you want.

Basically: Open a new Finder window, don't select anything, just set the window's size and view-style, then close it again. Now, if you open a new window, it has those settings.

> Basically: Open a new Finder window, don't select anything, just set the window's size and view-style, then close it again. Now, if you open a new window, it has those settings.

Oh - I know that's the way it supposed to work. But it sure wasn't working that way.

And TextEdit still can't remember the last window position. I guess its hopeless.

It's never 'hopeless', Robin!
Your system configuration/settings/.plist/whatever is just a little crooked, that's all. And, you need to straighten 'er up some. Just a little system cleanup should take care of some of your difficulties. You need to make sure that your problem is only with your user, by creating and logging in to a fresh user account, and testing that those issues don't happen with that other user.
Come back here, there's some good folks here that can help you through this - 'hopeless', indeed!

Back