Library sharing in iTunes 4... OVER THE INTERNET.

Hey, cool, glad you dig my stuff Rhino. Yeah, total 311 fan. Only seen them twice *sniff* Omaha Sessions can be purchased from 311 directly (not sure if you still can, might have been a limited production) and the remixes are on their website free of charge (you merely need to give them an email addy, but they'll just send you a notice when the news is updated, which is once a month MAYBE). Cheers

A Big Thank You, Gogo! :)
I discovered some great music on your shared playlist (playing now ...): Rockapella!!! :D Fantastic! LOL!

an excellent collection...i just browsed it to see how the sharing worked.
i think it is a good feature, as now i have a few ideas for things to buy at the music store.

it has been said ad nauseam that people who want to steal will, i don't think this feature will promote that, i.e., if someone who is sharing their playlists wanted to let you steal their music, the could do that another, simpler way than hacking itunes (ftp), but for law abiding citizens, something i hope to be, it's just more exposure for the music.

i have to say, you collection is amazing. Gogo, your musical taste is extremely similar to mine. it's interesting i think, but digital music and high availability fosters a more diversified musical taste. worthy of a poll perhaps?

i wish i had a static IP so you could look through my stuff. i have a ton of jazz too.

anyway, thanks for showing us your stuff.

Has anyone been able to share a song or ablum that was purchased from Apple's Music Store? I read on another forum that this is disabled on purchased music from Apple.

How do you close a sharing stream playlist once you open it without quiting iTunes? I must be over looking something.

look where the eject ipod button would normally be. make sure the stream is selected in the playlist pane, and click the button. viola, disconnected!

Glad to see that you all are enjoying the feature. :D
I'd like to add that it would be a terrible shame if people exploited this feature. Seeing this feature in iTunes go away would not be a very happy thing.

Hmmm....I bet this works with Rendezvous too like iChat does. Damn now i just need to find someone to write a plugin that will play Shorten and Flac format in iTunes.

crash, thanks for the compliment on my collection. Being a bassist, I'm constantly in search of inspiration. By the way, I have a dynamic IP, but I have a dyndns address (gogo.mine.nu) so clicking this link daap://gogo.mine.nu will always bring you to my shared music (if nothing goes awry & my computer is online) Anyway, if you like, you can set up one of those for free crash & I can check out your stuff. Cheers!

what would be needed to set something like that up? i'm behind a firewall that has most ports closed, but i can still share stuff over some p2p networks (no ftp sharing, though).

You merely need to open the port iTunes is on in your firewall (3689) and the http port (80, i believe that's the port that is queried by the DynDNS server) and a little piece of software called DNSUpdate that can automatically update your IP address with the DynDNS service. www.dyndns.org is the service I use. It can be used for just about anything (for example, when I DO run it, my Carracho server is also available at that address, check for it sometime).

Originally posted by kalantna
I say that this is a great service that Apple is providing and to hack it and put it the realm of Napster will cause the service to go away and cost Apple money and lawsuits.

speaking of lawsuits, what about this little app that came out today? ServerStore contains a database of published shared iTunes libraries that you can connect to in iTunes. You may also publish your library in the app if you wish.

What do you think will happen with this?

Originally posted by tkdragon
speaking of lawsuits, what about this little app that came out today? ServerStore contains a database of published shared iTunes libraries that you can connect to in iTunes. You may also publish your library in the app if you wish.

What do you think will happen with this?

Truthfully, I don't think this would be violating any laws... you are still using it for personal use.

What's the difference if you did own the CD's and you were playing them for 20 to 30 friends?

The users can only listen to them from your computer, not download them and store them remotely.

It's a fine line, but I can see them getting away with it.

gogo, my collection is nowhere near as comprehensive as yours, but there are a lot of similarities. i hope i did this right...

daap://teletran.ath.cx:3689

wish me luck!

ok, i fuxored something.

i'm behind a firewall, so the DNSUpdate daemon is using my internal IP, not the one assigned by my DSL service. any way around that?

im having problems accesing other people shared music, im in a university so we have a proxy , but i also cant acces shared music within my intranet. i can see the shared music but when i try n connect it will display loading "username" but then just take me back to my library

Back