Lion shuts down before I can specify what to do with open applications.

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
In Lion, if I do a Restart or a Shutdown, a dialog box pops up asking me whether or not I want to close certain open applications. But after a couple seconds -- before I can select the appropriate option in that dialog box -- the shutdown sequence continues.

I vaguely remember seeing something about an option in Lion which controls this behavior, and which will delay the shutdown until I have enough time to respond to that dialog box. However, I can't recall where I saw this ... or even whether I actually saw this! :)

Does anyone know what option in Lion that I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Any operating system will have to turn of applications to shutdown/restart. If you noticed in Lion the shutdown dialog box has a box that is checked to reopen closed programs. You can uncheck this box if you don't want this behavior.

Thank you, but that shutdown dialog box does not work. Even when I deselect the reopen closed programs option (or whatever its exact wording is), the Terminal windows still re-open after restart in the way I described in my other thread (I mentioned this in the original post of that other thread).

However, if you go to my other thread, I have just now posted a solution to my problem.

The case I'm talking about here is different, however. It occurs during the shutdown procedure, after I deselect reopen closed programs from the original shutdown dialog box. During this shutdown sequence, I get redirected to certain open applications, and I'm asked via subsequent dialog boxes if I really want to close these specfic applications (Terminal is one of them).

This redirection and subsequent dialog boxes appear in Lion, just like they appeared in Snow Leopard. However, in Lion, those subsequent dialog boxes disappear a second or two after they appear -- before I can click in any of them -- while in Snow Leopard, those application-specific dialogues stayed around for a respectable amount of time so I could have enough time to select the option I desired.
.​

With Lion's resume/autosave features, that window that you see is likely redundant.
It's not a normal result of any system setting that I have seen (and also not a dialogue that I have ever seen, other than the normal "do you want to save this unsaved document" for any app with an unsaved document), so must be the result of something that you installed, previous to upgrading to Lion, and now is essentially ignored.

Do you have a screenshot of that extra dialogue window?

Last edited:
It is a good idea to close open applications before shutting down the operating system. You are less likely to have problems with those applications later if you do that. That applies to any operating system, not just Mac OS Lion.

Back