LionOSX Crashed, Rebooted, and Now This?

AllisonMDoyle

Registered
After downloading and using the CleanMyMac application, my Macbook Pro was seemingly eating itself from the inside out. The open applications wouldn't close, even after a force close. Then the screen froze. After a forced shutdown, I turned the computer back on and the windows automatically reopened and froze immediately. I once again shut the computer down, but this time it wouldn't start back up.

I happened to hand my laptop over to a computer wiz at work today, and he fixed most of the problems (I think so, anyway). But now I'm left with one that I never had before. It seems that "extensions" that are generally hidden, are now appearing on my computer. I provided images to show you all what I am talking about.

ScreenShot2011-08-09at65834PM-1.jpg

ScreenShot2011-08-09at65854PM-1.jpg

Highlighted in blue we see folders/extensions .cups, .fontconfig, .graboid, etc. Also notice the .DS_Store on my desktop. Both the .DS_Store and .localized make appearances in nearly all of my Finder favorites.

I'm hoping that nothing is wrong and simply running a script will fix this, but I'm not sure. After the way my computer behaved last night, I'm very nervous that something may still be potentially wrong.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Allison

Is there something in CleanMyMac that turned the system to show all invisible folders?
All the grayed out folders you highlighted in the image should be present for the Mac to work properly, but there's no benefit for the user to see them.
So see if something in CleanMyMac turned their visibility on, and switch the same setting off.

I happened to hand my laptop over to a computer wiz at work today, and he fixed most of the problems (I think so, anyway).
Looks like your 'computer wiz' turned on your hidden files.
That really doesn't affect your computer, but does show you lots of 'crap' that you don't need to see. If the CleanMeMac software didn't do that, then your 'geek' or 'wiz' should be able to reset those files to hidden.

For what it's worth, none of the "system maintenance" or "computer cleaning" utilities are worth a hill of beans, in my most humble opinion. Anything that purports to "keep your Mac running smoothly" or "speed up your Mac like when you first got it" or "clean out unwanted files that may be slowing your system down" is utter crap.

There isn't anything that those utilities do that Mac OS X doesn't already do, by itself, automatically, and transparently.

They're the modern-day snake oil. There are exactly zero things you need to be "proactive" about with your Mac OS X computer -- this is not Microsoft Windows, where you need to "optimize" or "defragment" periodically, run system scans once a week, and use Norton to "fix" errors on your hard drive.

Just be sure to use Time Machine and make sure you've got loads of RAM and plenty of hard drive space free, and the rest will be taken care of automatically.

...and stay far away from the software called "CleanMyMac," and anything remotely similar. If you experience any "funniness" with your Mac, first and foremost, post a question and description here and we'll walk you through things! :)

Back