Login Screen disappeared

swizzer

Registered
In the midst of creating new user, System Prefs froze on me and I had to kill it. When I next started up, all the services and servers start up fine, but the login screen never appears. Any ideas what to do?

G4 Quicksilver, 733 mhz, 640 RAM, HD 40 GB & 120 GB (systems disk), 10.2.8

it sounds like the auto login is enabled go back into system prefs and click "Accounts", then click "login options" and uncheck "automatically login as"
Thats it.

That might be hard to do if he can't even log in...

I had this happen to me after messing with my system in 10.2.8. I ended up pushing OS X to the wayside until I got Panther. In other words, you may have to do a fresh installation, unless someone else knows what file(s) you can hack to give you your login screen back. You'd have to do this in single-user mode.

Try booting into single-user mode by restarting and immediately holding the command and s keys simultaneously. Keep them held down until your computer starts putting text on your screen. Eventually, you'll get to a prompt. Type 'fsck -y' and press enter and wait until it completes. If it says something to the tune of "System or volume was modified" then run that same command again and repeat until it reports no errors. Type 'reboot' at this point, and hope for the best!

Like Arden said, though, your OS X installation may be unrepairable. I've had this happen to me before and it required me to re-install OS X and lose my data on my drive.

Good luck!

An archive and install, WITHOUT saving users and settings, would probably be sufficent, as it is the same thing as an erase and install except it saves all your data.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Try booting into single-user mode by restarting and immediately holding the command and s keys simultaneously. Keep them held down until your computer starts putting text on your screen. Eventually, you'll get to a prompt. Type 'fsck -y' and press enter and wait until it completes. If it says something to the tune of "System or volume was modified" then run that same command again and repeat until it reports no errors. Type 'reboot' at this point, and hope for the best!

Yep, did that, and found the dread "overlapped extent allocation" 200+ times. Repeated fsck -y didn't fix it :-(( Tried reinstalling the 10.2.8 upgrade over it (from another HD in the same machine) no joy.

Forgot to add that what happens is that I'm left after all services start at the window w/the blue sky & curved contrails, but no login window.

Any chance that trashing all the loginwindow.plist and even the app might work?

Think Disk Warrior can fix this?

Back