Longest Uptime??

flash

Mad Mod Mojo
My personal best uptime for my Mac OS X system is

11:44AM up 12 days, 22:51, 1 user, load averages: 0.62, 0.58, 0.42

That's almost 13 days with a TiPB G4, 256M ram 10G HD. This is honestly the best uptime I've ever had for a personal PC, Windows or Mac. I've been crashing Mail, iCab, IExplorer, Omniweb occasionally; almost daily I crash Classic and any number of Classic apps; I've rebooted the Finder at least 8 times; I've set up a USB printer in X and Classic; installed an upgrade for something or other from Apple. And the system is still running strong.

How does 13 days compare to other Mac OS X Users?

What's your best uptime?

I hit twenty-three days about half a month ago. I still have no idea what it was that made me finally go down. Everything froze, and I couldn't even telnet or SSH in to see if that would help. Since we have a month until 10.1, I'm trying again to see if I can go longer (that, and since The Sims went carbon, I haven't had any reason to boot into Classic.)

On my mac with os x and os 9:
8:42PM up 1:50, 2 users, load averages: 1.04, 1.51, 1.43
Tht is an hour and 50 mins, yeah it sucks, I had to use os9 to make a video cd. The most I've ever had in mac os x is 11 days.

On my Redhat 6.1/Intel workstation, I had 52 days one, but then we had a power outage. Currently, its:
8:48pm up 12 days, 17:43, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.05, 0.02
not too shabby. I read once that windows 95 can not run for more than 47 days (it gets some buffer-overrun and blue-screens).
My intel 486 running solaris (I don't know why):
8:57pm up 18 day(s), 20:45, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.02
And my intel/486Dx2 with redhat/server 6.1:
9:00pm up 18 days, 20:56, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

now a few other computers:

freeshell.org is:
12:45am up 2 days, 20:42, 53 users, load average: 4.29, 3.94, 3.66
unix-shells.com:
2:47AM up 11:19, 8 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.22, 0.23
hobbiton.org is down, I can't ping it
m-net.arbornet.org:
8:48PM up 10 days, 10:29, 21 users, load averages: 0.69, 0.67, 0.66

I'd like to report on apple.com's uptime, but I don't have a shell account there, and, netcraft is down (what do ya know!?!).

This is funny, wget -S --spider reports that apple.com is run by Netscape-Enterprise/3.6, and www.apple.com is run off Apache/1.3.9 (Mac OS X Server). Interesting.
Sorry about the long post, its been a long day.
I think at my high school they got the proxy server (windows nt) to run all week once.

Taking into account that I need to use DVD, toast, VPC and the fact that my mac's fan drives me insne when I try to sleep (my computer is in my room).... my longest uptime is --drumroll please!-- 15 hours! :p

Admiral

OSX? Gah, I'm a designer, I have to live and breath OS9... 10.1 will be fantastic, but I'm more concerned about application support.

My OpenBSD box?

spy:crim {101} uptime
4:04AM up 7 days, 17:18, 1 user, load averages: 1.84, 1.70, 1.67

I think I was playing with NFS and didn't feel like killing all the instances of nfsd and mountd...

I also belong to Computer Science House. We have a great big Sun server :)

crim@fury:{2} uptime
8:52am up 22 day(s), 10:47, 17 users, load average: 0.08, 0.17, 0.20

Downtime in 2001: 57 minutes = 99.9998% availability (as of July 14)

I'm pretty sure the last powerdown was to a) enable fast-disk access or b) the building's power was shutdown, and we don't have much UPS spread between all of our machines ;)

About 6 days. I have to reboot every now and then because my cable-provider re-assigns IP-addresses every few days.

Here's where I'm at now -- almost 15 days!:
9:26AM up 14 days, 20:33, 1 user, load averages: 0.13, 0.53, 0.67
[localhost:~] flash%

And here's a Sun server I work on:
sona> uptime
10:16am up 380 day(s), 8:33, 4 users, load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.04

That's my new goal (after 10.1). :D

lol... if I had a dedicated computer room my computer(s) (if I ever have enough $$ to buy more :p) would never be shut lol :p ... they would constantly be doing something... be it music, rippin', editing, saving, converting lol :p

Admiral

PS: where do u have your computers ?

I have everything stuffed into small office/studio with lot of synts on one side and the computers on the other side (and me in the middle :)
Compact living.... Needless to say, I have Air Condition ;-)

Im going on 3 weeks vacation now, trusting the power of Unix to keep my web sites up ...

just discovered a >really< cool dockling....called VanityDocking (you'll find it on versiontracker somewhere)...

n e way, it shows your Uptime in the Dock! - Cool

started using it.... only up to 2days 1hr 39mins so far....[only reason for reboot was that my wife wanted something in OS9 (for about 3 minutes! - tut!)]

well... there should be no reason to shutdown/reboot now.... i run seti 24/7 (command line) - fast approaching 2500 units!... will keep u updated....:cool:

Sad news (for me). I'd just reached 16 days uptime when I decided to use Internet Explorer to surf over to www.UPN.com.

The flash/shockwave content somehow froze my whole system, courtesy of Internet Explorer. It was amazing! My entire system was brought to its knees... I'm still not sure how or why, only that it involved IE. So I had to force reboot, loosing my magnificent record-breaking uptime.

And all because I wanted to find the new Buffy homepage.

My current is:

7:40PM up 1 day, 6:36, 1 user, load averages: 0.20, 0.42, 0.46

don't know what my best is, but not much more than that... you know with the California power crisis and all...

gotta go and pay my $500 electric bill.

My longest Redhat uptime was 106 days with Redhat Linux on an AMD K6-2 366. The only reason it wasn't longer was cause I was updating the kernel.

In Windows 2000, my uptime has been 42 days so far. That's the last time I installed a driver that required me to reboot.

Here I was thinking that the BSD-based Mac OS X on an overpriced G4 would actually impress me.

Here I was thinking that the BSD-based Mac OS X on an overpriced G4 would actually impress me.

Actually, I feel the same way sometimes. BSD is time-tested, stable, respectable, and some systems have uptimes that pre-date Microsoft. :) I wonder how my silly little windows manager / graphics layer is able to humiliate the rest of the system.

But then I remember that this OS has only been public for a few months, and that it's still a work in progress. About 6 years ago Apple saved me from computing hell, and made working on computers pleasant again. I'll play along while they improve this OS. The alternative is a *nix with a crummy GUI, or a crummy Windows system with crummy wintel hardware. Been there, done that, wanted to shoot self in head. The important thing (to me at least) is that Apple is making demonstrable progress on improving it.

Lastly -- If I were you, I wouldn't buy the overpriced G4s. Get the regularly priced ones. Other than that, nice troll. ;)

12:28PM up 31 days, 19:03, 1 user, load averages: 1.38, 1.42, 1.36
USER TTY FROM

I'm doing Ok on my PowerBook G4 ;)

I'd been going for well over two weeks with OS 10.1.1 ... right up until I was playing with NFS/mountd on the train this morning - I was just trying to HUP the daemon when I forgot a minus sign .... kill 1 334 ... yeah, like THAT was a good idea ;-))))

C

My current uptime of OS X 10.1.1 is 7 days, 18:26

The only thing that drives me crazy is the fear, that my mac will not boot up again if i shut it down. Thats y i've got to restart sometimes, just to check that everythings ok :)

Back