Longhorn

That's just Windows XP with a blue appearance, not a new os.... it'll prolly be the same as xp, though it has a few more features now.
But still, it's just Windows XPblue.. thatshould be the name
Sandwhiches?

Originally posted by dlloyd
tsizKEIK: I don't see how putting that in here will make this thread more useful. If you would just look around, this hs already been answered: make sure in the General section of System Prefs that you have anti-aliasing turned on down to at least 9 pts. That should fix it.

ive already done that. but look what i get...

Attachments

• itunes4.jpg
    itunes4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 54
Originally posted by Androo
That's just Windows XP with a blue appearance, not a new os.... it'll prolly be the same as xp, though it has a few more features now.
Sandwhiches?

Remember Windows XP betas? It looked like Windows 9X on crack until the second to last beta release. Microsoft always works on whats under the hood (Even though most of the time they break it even more) before they slap on a new UI. Just wait until the last Release Canidate before bashing what the UI looks like.

Hopefully this time they wont make a UI that looks like a Warner Bros. cartoon.

Originally posted by Androo
Sandwhiches?

Have you ever actualy researched any changes in the OS other than the screenshots? I'm just wondering. After doing some searching on my own and seeing a beta actualy running it appears to be far more than a new theme for XP.

For starters the file system is going to be completely new. It's tentatively titled WinFS. It's basically a file system with no directory structure. The location of the file is stored in an SQL driven database. File searches take a matter of seconds, moving and copying large files are the same. I must say, so far it's been a drastic improvement... even though there seems to be even more blatant hand holding than in XP.

No matter how much Windows changes it will allways have many problems !!!

quote: If you patch your systems to rid yourself of one bug, you wind up with an entirely new bug. This seems to be a common theme with Microsoft -- a company that can't seem to understand why its customers don't rush to install every patch.

Microsoft always makes it harder for its users. Thats one of the reasons why i switched. and PCs are soooo ugly (LOL)

Originally posted by tsizKEIK

quote: If you patch your systems to rid yourself of one bug, you wind up with an entirely new bug. This seems to be a common theme with Microsoft -- a company that can't seem to understand why its customers don't rush to install every patch.

Microsoft always makes it harder for its users. Thats one of the reasons why i switched. and PCs are soooo ugly (LOL)

I think that you mess things up... That thing is NOT Windows problem but an Office one... And to be fair Office 2000 problem... As of now, close to half of the Wintel world, must have Office XP under control...

And Apple had similar update problems with their products, too!

But I could not agree more that Wintels are DAMN ugly ;)

My question however is this:
-How come this thread is still open after all these Wintel only related postings?

Hmmm, maybe www.macosx.com Admins/Moderators try VERY hard to prove to people out there that we, the Mac users, can discuss about Wintels too without any bias towards them...

Oh, yes, we love Wintels in here SO much! Dark Side rulez! Let's unite in peace with them in order to bring balance into the Force :p :D :) ;)

No matter how much Windows changes it will allways have many problems

You've got that right. It seems that MS is taking baby steps in improving their OS but I don't feel they'll ever get the ease of use of the Mac OS

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
Microsoft can't afford to go to an entirely new GUI.

It will alienate 75% of their user base... of course these are the less technicaly inclined 75% but they are users none the less.
These are the people that freak out when a shortcut is missing from their desktop (Don't laugh, it happens quite frequently :( )

This is true. Going to a whole new system GUI is a BIG change for anyone on any OS.:p

Originally posted by Dominyo
I've heard of a couple OS's in development attempting to shift the computing paradigm away from desktops and files and folders. Didn't get into specifics, but they sounded interesting.

Dude, that would be sweet. :D

People have been throwing rumors about new conceptual OS's for years now. Last year, the MIT said the concept of Desktop was out of date and braked workflows.

Still, a computer with no Desktop does not mean a damn thing today.

Originally posted by Sirtovin
I am glad I made the "Switch" Screw M$ and it's "Monopoly"

Quite. Comments like this make me proud to be a Mac community member.

(now I'm just whining, but for the love of God, when will people learn the difference between "it's" and "its"? Or "they're", "there" and "their", for that matter...)

People are commenting about the screenshot not looking verry different from current XP with some blue. But to be a litle critic, the screenshots of panther (although fake) don't seem impressive at all... (but I believe panther will rock anyway...)

That is not true. Pay as much for a PC as you would for a MAc and I guarantee the PC will look as good if not better than the Mac. Get yourself a black and grey viewsonic monitor, with a logitech elite keyboard and a logitech mx500 optical and already you have a nice desktop. Add a Noblesse case and you have one of the prettiest setups... plus it looks personal. Every Apple desktop looks the same save for a few external peripherals. Besides, have you checked Alienware's latest offerings? IMO they look a ton better than all of what Apple offers.

Originally posted by aaike
People are commenting about the screenshot not looking verry different from current XP with some blue. But to be a litle critic, the screenshots of panther (although fake) don't seem impressive at all... (but I believe panther will rock anyway...)
The main changes with Panther will probably be backend stuff like 64bit support, osx doesn't really need any big gui changes anyway.

Originally posted by cellfish
That is not true. Pay as much for a PC as you would for a MAc and I guarantee the PC will look as good if not better than the Mac. Get yourself a black and grey viewsonic monitor, with a logitech elite keyboard and a logitech mx500 optical and already you have a nice desktop. Add a Noblesse case and you have one of the prettiest setups... plus it looks personal. Every Apple desktop looks the same save for a few external peripherals. Besides, have you checked Alienware's latest offerings? IMO they look a ton better than all of what Apple offers.

i could argue about this with a 3 or 4 long paragraph post .. but at the end of the day its all a matter of taste. ill just ask u one question: have u even seen Allienware setups in movies? and if yes, how many ? 1, 2 or 3 ???
on the other hand ive seen numerous macs in movies and tv shows : old iMacs, new iMacs, Apple studio displays, Apple 20th anniversary etc... (maybe you should refer to the post of apple sightings in movies). if macs are expensive and not the nicest or most impressive computers arround, then im sure those Hollywood guys will start using Allienware instead of macs in their movies :) :) :)

Originally posted by cellfish

I will truthfully never understand what the obsession that case modding has brought about. The windows and the Cold Cathode tubes have gotta go. The "coolness" of a PC seems to be directly proportional to the amount of fans you can cram into it. It looks personalized but gaudy. I really prefer the shape and colors of my G3 case. It looks elegant. In my opinion no PC has ever looked near as good. Alienware's computers really don't impress me. They look like a standard PC I could build and paint green or blue.

The only thing I have planned for my mac is candy blue flames on the inside of the side case plastic, beginning at the front of case and reaching toward the apple logo.

But this isn't until this computer gets duty serving MP3's and storing my home folders remotely... as soon as she's retired from full time service.

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
I will truthfully never understand the obsession that case modding has brought about. The windows and the Cold Cathode tubes have gotta go. The "coolness" of a PC seems to be directly proportional to the amount of fans you can cram into it. It looks personalized but gaudy. I really prefer the shape and colors of my G3 case. It looks elegant. In my opinion no PC has ever looked near as good. There are a few cases out there that do look decent although none have ever compared to the Powermac case. Alienware's computers really don't impress me. They look like a standard PC I could build and paint green or blue.

The only thing I have planned for my mac is candy blue flames on the inside of the side case plastic, beginning at the front of case and reaching toward the apple logo.

But this isn't until this computer gets duty serving MP3's and storing my home folders remotely... as soon as she's retired from full time service.

Back