Longhorn

i don't really think it's 'copying', it's just MS is also trying to give their GUI more of a ... 'gee whiz' factor. they're trying to give their OS as much fanfare for it's looks as OS X has for apple.

at this point it's like comparing apples and oranges though. ;)

longhorn isn't due out till 2005, and that means that OS X.? isn't even a thought yet either. how can you compare who's copying who?

oh. thats impressive. how strange...

anyways. this thing is at least 2 years away. 2 years ago Mac OS X was very different. and look how much it has changed (and panther is a few steps away)

the horn-thing final version could be more impressive, or ...worse!!! wait and see. im sure the presentation will be interesting; like the one with Windows 98 and the blue screen . hahahah.

for now. read this

I don't mean the UI, i mean the graphic shel
They're going to use a new Graphic "Shell": DirectX "Tier 2" , which you can compare to OpenGL (Quartz en Quartz Extreme) that MacOSX uses.

In the video they're showing what it can do, but of course they're not going to use for turnign windows in circles and etc...

More info (in dutch): http://www.macosx.nl/

even that isn't that much of a ripoff - it makes sense to pass of some of the rendering gruntwork off to the GPU.... i think it was just a matter of time before every major OS did that - as cheap as good video cards are now, and as good as they are.... why not pass off some of the work to it?

the wavy windows are kind of cool when being dragged around. no more useful or useless than the genie effect in OS X. it did however give the window a more tangible feel.

considering longhorn is 2 years away, we cant even begin to imagine what MS is going to do with their new 3D acccelerated desktop. my guess is that it is not going to resemble the Windows that we know today.

people forget that Windows 2000 and XP have a solid core. very stable and very efficent. while security sucks and the GUI is only so-so, if MS can iron out those last few wrinkles, Longhorn could be one heck of an OS.

Originally posted by kendall
people forget that Windows 2000 and XP have a solid core. very stable and very efficent. ..

AMD (i think 1.7 Ghz). very new computer . with geforce 4 ti. 512 ram and Asus main board. anyway. my friend enters the windows 2000 cd. formats the hard disk and installs windows 2000 professional. after finishing all hardware softaware setups, presses start, shut down, restart my computer. once he logs in he gets a blue screen. how stable and very efficient is that ? (and im sure that my friend was not an exception)

On my XP machine I have not once seen it freeze. It's a 2GhZ Intel, GeFroce 2 64mb, 100gb, 512mb ram. When I got my new 12 inch PowerBook. I pluged it in, turned it on and ran through the steps. It froze solid at the time setting phase. Restart, it kept freezing. I had to format a brand new out of the box Mac. Since then I have had no problems. Except the OS is a bit slow, i.e. Resizing a window it is notchy. I would not care if it werent such a new machine. But come on, design an OS that runs smoothly on the slowest machine you have or don't sell that machine.

i personally think xp is an ever slowing pile of rubbage in a shiny blue wrapper. i have an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ box and an Intel P4 2.0 ghz. i had to spend a few hours on both cleaning the darned thing to make them run at reasonable pace. i agree freezing out the box is a very bad thing but to say xp never freezes in an all out lie.

XP is the biggesst ram hog i have ever seen. in fact i was test somethig another user notice form another forum and this box froze right up. i lock up very often in PS7. i often hear stories of now havingto reboot xp very often but some i havereboot at least once a day because something either slow performance down to almost unusable or in completely locks up. and don't let me get started on the intel box

and speaking of "slowest computers" i tried to install xp on a properly configure celron 533 w/ 256 mb ram and the installer locked up.

A coworker purchased an PC from Dell (yeah, yeah, it was a Dell..) -- Anyways, I came over to help him hook it up. We started it up, inputed some information, it asked us to restart, and it froze.

I also own a PC with XP Pro - After an app crashed, I restarted the machine. Everytime after that, I would get an error saying I did not install some hardware properly (never installed hardware to begin with) - then it would crash. A restart would bring the message again, but I could atleast get to the OS. I finally ran the "Restore system" to a prior date, and it worked fine after that.
Its currently sitting idle, now that the harddrive has crashed.. :rolleyes:

Anyways, that's just my PC stories.

I do have a Mac story: Powerbook G3 - DVD Drive crapped out (typical for Pismo owners) and the screen is starting to show signs of pink hue in the lower left corner (again typical) - otherwise, its running fine.

jesus christ people, lets all tell our stories about how XP froze for our brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, aunt in tampa bay. :rolleyes:

insecurity at its finest.

"and this one time, at band camp, Windows...."

Originally posted by Xeiliex
but to say xp never freezes in an all out lie.

Wow, you sure got me. I often come on a message board and spread lies about my computer experiance. Yep, thats me.

I said I have never had a problem with XP. I edit Video, photos, text, play games, lie on message boards, et citera... When I use PhotoShop 7 it works fine. If you are freezing so much maybe you should reinstall. Besides if PS7 keeps freezing, that would be Adobe's problem not Windows.

Windows 2000 froze sometimes but not often. I do recall 98 freezing alot, though.

Next time you see fit to call someone a liar on the internet, Realize that the person on the other end probably thinks the same thing about you. Or in this case, if you are experiancing all of these freezes, I would venture to say you do not know how to properally set up a computer. But since I do not know you from Adam, I will refrain from that.

its obvious that longhorn doesnt copy osx, at least IMHO, wow its evolutionizing the same way the mac os has by passing some of the graphics off to the gpu... i dont see what the huge issue is?

if they dont do this they are "behind, running on dos and stupid" if they do do this they are "copy cats, stealers and stupid"

there is no need for this thread here, so once again since this has turned into an "i hate windows" opinion thread it is going there...

I would venture to say that each system has it's short comeings, Or there would be no need for future upgrades. I like both XP and OS X. I prefer OS X because it is nicer looking. But some things in it drive me nuts. Same with XP, a solid OS but still needs lots of work. Bashing one or the other is useless. I use both on a daily basis, and would not call either one better than the other.

1.) I apoligize for the random attacks but after having to leave the mac crowd circa system 8 i have had a seen hetic experiences with the microsoft camp. i have not had a truly enjoyable user experience since red hat 7.2 or a fresh win98 install. after a while windows 98 did turn into a smoldering heap. more or less when i see somebody saying any MS product is completely stable i draw my guns.

2.) if win xp has not froze yet it is just a matter of time. it is very balenced to keep the system completly stable. I am not bidding you evil but if can keep a stable xp you are a miracle worker. win 2k on the other hand is very stable but even that goes down

3.) SPAM, pop ups and unders.it may be our isp ot pre-filtering content or an firewall that is not doing its job but but even with pop u pblocking software, we get hammered and the is just one the factors that just ruins my exerprience. i am hoping for better when i go back to macs. mozilla helped alot by the way.

now as for longhorn:

it has some very interesting features but in my opinion it is the ugliest OS i have ever seen. OS X has the smoothess look system out and if MS insist on copying anything at all they should at least design a visual appeling style. even xp's luna is taxing on the eyes after a while. OS X needs to be simply faster. if you could balance the faster XP with the power and visually apeearace of OS X we would have something to marvel at . that is what might just happen and we will see in 2005. if is as good as they it will be the will renouce my ms disliking ways and follow suit. as long palladium does not get out of hand. I think it needs a universal panel where i won't have to search around to turn off the annoying verbage that comes in the form of yellow pop up bubbles.

i believe people are believing ms is stealing form the under dog when it comes down to the OS using the gpu part.

just a thought...

could it be possibly that MS has less room to "experiment" with new ideas for their operating systems since quite frankly the world runs on them? i dunno just an idea...

anyways, just try to keep the attacks and negative vibes on the low down guys, yer gonna ruin the good karma ;) ;)

They just borrowed some stuff... Come on! You got to be kidding, right? Thank God that people who know more about computers than some people around here believe otherwise... And guess what? We call those people pros :rolleyes: Thank God that they know more...

Here is one...
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/12/technology/12SOFT.html
You may need free registration but anyways here is a piece:
"You don't have to look too far to see that this is almost a direct copy of Quartz," said Philip W. Schiller, Apple's vice president of marketing, referring to the Macintosh software that controls the computer's display.
Microsoft executives declined to take the bait. "We only showed glimpses of the future of Longhorn," said a Microsoft spokesman. "Wait until the fall when we'll go into more detail at the Professional Developers Conference."

Explanation(!?) of the above: "Hey, maybe LongHorn IS a copy from OS X.2 for now but until then it won't be a copy because we will copy OS X.5" :D

Here is another:
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1090247,00.asp
A piece from there:
"That sounds like a bunch of nice improvements [for LongHorn]. But until Microsoft lets Longhorn out of the corral, Panther will rule the desktop OS jungle."

Another:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1090440,00.asp
Which is actually another link for the previous one...

Here too:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1074306,00.asp
Piece is here:
"Editor's Note: after this story was originally published, ET forum contributor "Cafemomo" mentioned Apple has being up and running with their Quartz Compositor engine in OS X, which is now hardware accelerated as Quartz Extreme in Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), and that MS is once again playing catch-up and acting as if it's new stuff."

One final thing from here:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32231&perpage=15&pagenumber=4
And for those who got bored here it is the piece:
"HULKAROS: After watching some Longhorn videos...
...I concluded to that... M$ cannot do anything without Apple "experimenting" first!
The effects that they used on those demos were nice but they were screaming OS X that it was to difficult for me not to post here the following...
I have 2 small 320 sized videos running TRANSPARENT above one running 480 sized video doubled in size, while one other 480 video was running minimized while I had other apps like Safari loading web pages, Mail, et al all TRANSPARENT as well... All at the same time of having a DVD playing TOO maximum size TRANSPARENT behind all these...
Now, before anyone will say how this and that I will simply say that I have WindowShade X installed, 512 of RAM and a TiBook of only a 1000MHz...
Anyways, take a look and if you will see those tech demos for LongHorn next time don't despair... OS X rules right here, right now...
NOTE
--------
Because I could not grab the screen while the DVD was running I closed the DVD player but believe me it runs more than fine... The following is the grabbed picture:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=215986 "

And because the above can go on and on I will sum it up by saying the following:
Wintel with Athens PC and LongHorn CLEARLY 100% and maybe for the first time, showed to us that Apple ALL those years did the right thing and continues to do so: Software AND hardware combination, ease of use, looks, etc ARE needed for the "right" computer experience :D wither some Wintel people care to accept it or not...

Jason posted:
could it be possibly that MS has less room to "experiment" with new ideas for their operating systems since quite frankly the world runs on them? i dunno just an idea...
anyways, just try to keep the attacks and negative vibes on the low down guys, yer gonna ruin the good karma

No, Jason! Wintel doesn't have less room to experiment... Wintel has less guts even to try experiments... They just play it safe! Even with tones of money, employees AND consumers... If we should have someone to experiment this should be the Wintel side and not others... Damn even the underpaid (if at all) Linux community experiments a LOT MORE with all those Linux distros as well as other OSes companies and/or communities like http://www.yellowtab.com/ , http://os.amiga.com/ , http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/ , et al (SOOOOO many to post here). But what really makes me :mad: is that we have people here and in other forums as well, thinking that Wintel is the end all be all computer offerings... Thank God (no, not Jobs or Gates) that this is far from the truth (actually this belongs in the realm of Science Fiction :D )...

And, Jason? I hope that I didn't ruin the good karma :rolleyes:

:)

microsoft doesnt have any (good) ideas (of their own) to experiment on. the only idea they had was that iLOO thing, and once again theyve made a fool out of themselves by reversing their announcements 3 times within a month. :)

while i agree with the fact that ms is using the idea of a gpu accelerated os after apple, i still dont get what is horribly wrong with that.... are they not supposed to advance? and how is that ms doesnt not have room to experiment? they run much of the world, they cant pull what apple did with osx, (meaning introduce a new os that is basically not compatible with anything at all until new stuff is made for it) it just CANT happen on that scale.

am i saying MS would have thought of the idea if they could experiment more? no. But they sure as hell would have done it sooner than this. MS doesnt make huge changes to its OS because, partially, they dont have the balls, and partially because they cant afford to do that to its customers. IMHO them "not having the balls" is a smart choice. If they make a radically different OS then they could possibly conjure up quite a bit of confusion and dislike among the "normal peoples" crowd (meaning those who dont want to get into all the technicalities of a computer).

like i said before, no matter what MS would have done, whether it be not doing this, doing this now, or hell even doing this before, alot of people around here would have just passed judgement on it being stupid without even looking at the situation. but hey MS and bill gates are such idiots, its a wonder how theyve been such a success :p ;)

Originally posted by Jason
they cant pull what apple did with osx, (meaning introduce a new os that is basically not compatible with anything at all until new stuff is made for it)

wasnt classic and carbon used for such reasons ?

Back