M$ Office preview

.. im sure we can finally see 20 GB big "word" files when some smart users add mp3-notes to them .. :D

Well, that's actually a feature instead of just bulk. I like the thought of voice-added office documents. Makes some sense (instead of using those dictating devices etc...).

wow, I liked powerpoints presentation mode. I am giving a lot of presentations and it's really helpful to see notes, preview, next slide and a time-counter at the same time. Darn I bought my office X before jan 2004 ;)

Well I liked the flash presenatation...

But I llike Entourage, it brings all the other apps i need into, makes it much easier to manage my projects. As far as the other stuff, i won't need it, but I can see how others will benefit from the PowerPoint prsentation mode, i hope Macromedia gives us that ability in the next version of Flash.

Personally, as a college student, I think the idea of audio notes is really cool. I have a mic right on my laptop, and for those really important lectures, I can just save rather than hoping I remember.

Joshua

jhawk28, you can record audio for free with other apps, so paying ... to do so isn't a benefit... but you did say u were a college student, and I know all about how that works out, lol

wonder if date functionality is improved... I hate the way M$ Excel deals with dates... (see previous rants).

Satcomer said:
I can only pray for better Exchange support.

Same here dude!

Personally, I hope that they make Entourage 2004 a carbon copy of Outlook 2003. I am sick to death of not being able to do the same type of work as stuff as my PC counterparts in the office. Entourage, to me, is the most important program in the Office suite. I do love the new view layout, exactly the same, if not similar to Outlok 2K3. Excellent. Did anyone notice to the icons etc. Looks alot more polished...

As for Word and PowerPoint, you can have them. Don't really use them.

But, I will say the the Flash presentation was very professional and slick. Exactly was Flash MX 2004 Pro was designed to do, and has been done well.

Same that the release date of Office 2K4 is not for another, what, 4 or 5 months?

I'll sound again like the usual anti-M$ but what the heck:
I don't care about Office anymore and I'm trying my best to convince my customers, friends, et al to not use ANY M$ products... YES, even in the Wintel/Amd side of the computing world... So, far I'm in a very good point:
Most of my friends are using some version of Linux, bought a Mac with NO M$ products installed and the poor souls who insist on keep on using Windows, they use other applications instead of the usual Messenger, Office, IE, WMP combo :D

As for other companies that I co-operate with, I let them know that for them in order to exchange data with me I want their documents to be in a NON-M$ Office formats... And you know what? So, far so good! :)

Go ahead and give it a try! Use the alternatives and convince others to do so! M$ is not the end all, be all... And while M$ Office has some amazing features over the alternatives, 90% of those features, if not more, aren't needed by even the "advanced" users out there... :rolleyes:

The funny part is that the MOST requested feature of the M$ Office from my customers, friends, et al, that they cannot find in the alternatives or it isn't that good in those solutions, is the Clip Art gallery + WordArt combo!!! :eek:

Come on! Let everyone know this:
Alternatives exist that CAN replace most of what M$ products can/will offer to them!

:)

I think what I am reading from people are the features in X04 appear to be superficial. I have been saying this for awhile, M$ needs competition for the office suite market for the Mac. I use word everyday, that is only recently. I used Appleworks until late last year. The only other app I use is Xcel, which I feel is well done. I am not sure if I upgrade right away either. Still hoping for an alternative to Office. Come on Lotus !!!!!!

Is there anything specific, feature-wise, that you guys are looking for in '04?

Some things so far look intriguing, maybe I just don't have enough imagination, but I'm trying to understand what it is you folks want =)

I only used Word when I had to write papers in college, graduated, AND NO MORE DAMN PAPERS FOR ME!!!!!! Had to vent a little. But i only open it when i get a storyboard from a client, which is always a Word file, or they send PowerPoint presentations for me to look over. But I love Enoturage, I hate iCal and Mail, one app doing all the work and some is good for the way i work.

1 request, i notice Word will eat a lot of the CPU more than other apps, and it litearlly does nothing, such a waste.

Have any of you tried AddressX and GroupCal from Snerdware? They work seemlessly and silently with the Exchange Server. I have no need for Outlook with GroupCal. Can do it all with iCal. AddressX grabs all of the Global Contacts and puts them in AddressBook.

The Powerpoint presentation feature looked pretty good. But we are moving away from PP. Not to go with Keynote. We are just tired, as are clients are, of these types of presentations.

Word needs big file name capability.

The Notebook app is similar to Notebook and Notetaker. I have tried both of these apps and for the most part, they are just another place to store information, in another format. Eventually after the luster wears off, I quit using them and went back to more specific use apps.

Other than liking the newest version of almost everything, it will be pretty tough for me to justify the new Office after it comes out.

Pricing? March MacWorld says upgrading from the same edition of v. X to 2004 will be free, $90 to upgrade to the pro edition which will include VPC/XP. Anyone able to confirm/dispell this? From what I've read and heard, I'd think twice before paying a good amount of $$ for an upgrade, but if it's free? Then I'd say bring it on.

kcmac said:
Have any of you tried AddressX and GroupCal from Snerdware? They work seemlessly and silently with the Exchange Server. I have no need for Outlook with GroupCal. Can do it all with iCal. AddressX grabs all of the Global Contacts and puts them in AddressBook.

Unless it does MAPI it doesn't do much good for me or, I'd expect, the vast majority of Exchange users. Windows Outlook still uses MAPI, and admins see absolutely no reason to turn on LDAP, SMTP, and IMAP, especially for security reasons. This means lots of extra work/risk to support Mac clients, which means Mac clients are out of the MS-Exchange enterprises, like mine...

Back