M4a to MP3?

Alyssa_86

Registered
i'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find a could answer anywhere on the web so I came here. I just got a new music phone and I wanted to put a lot of my itunes music on it, the problem is thee files have to be in mp3 or wma format in order for me to use. My version of itunes doesn't allow me to do this (itunes 7) so I was wondering if there was a program I could download or some other way I could convert the files. Thanks.

In iTunes 7, in the "Preferences," set your "Importing" options to "MP3."

Then, highlight the song file and select "Convert to MP3" from the "Advanced" menu.

I don't know if iTunes keeps the M4A file after conversion, so you may want to back up any files you intend on converting. Also, be aware that you'll lose slight quality, since you're re-encoding the file to MP3 format.

There is no way to directly "convert" an M4A file to an MP3 file without re-encoding it, so there's always a bit of quality loss.

I know this thread is 4 years old but I just had the same conversion need this week. Found the same feature in iTunes 10 and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. Never know when an older thread will be useful.

Back