Mac Air Remote Disk problem

Axeman21

Registered
I recently (obviously) purchased a MacAir. While on the whole I'm pretty happy, right now, I am having a problem with the remote disk feature. I was able to migrate most of my information from the Mac desktop, but now, I am unable to access DVD's on the desktop. Networks are fine, the MacAir "sees" the other three computers on the wireless network, and I can log into them fine. I have enabled sharing and Remote Disk. The mounted Remote Disk in Finder on the MacAir shows the desktop, and the volume name of the DVD. Then it says "the operation cannot be completed because the original item for "(DVD or CD volume name)" cannot be found" I've tried this with both applications I wanted to install from DVD, as well as date DVD's containing pdf's but no applications.

I'm obviously missing something here, but can't figure out what it is.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JS

10.5.2 introducted a new firewall connection in the firewall. The 10.5.2 users must go to System Preferences->Sharing and make sure a check mark is in "DVD or CD Sharing".

Thanks, but ... the desktop with the opical drive is 10.4.11, the Mac Air is 10.5.1 the desktop preferences does in fact have DVD sharing turned on. Must be something else ...

Feel free to correct me anyone, but I seem to remember from somewhere that Tiger can not share an optical drive, that this is in fact a new feature of Leopard.

jb.

Wow, that would be a bit of a bummer if it turns out to be the case - and something they really ought to have in the literature. Also it would strike me as strange, given that supposedly the Mac Air can share an optical drive with a PC.

I did - I was able to use Migration Assistant - I assume that is the same software .... but cannot use any other kind of DVD sharing.

I did follow the procedure in the article. I just re-ran that procedure, same issue - the MacAir sees the DVD, and identifies the volume name, but I then get the same error message about the "original item"

Try using a different computer for the disk sharing, or failing that -
You may need to tell us what software you are trying to install, maybe it's not compatible with the MBAir?

There's other support articles - this one seems a little weak, but might help.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307320

The drive on the other Mac may not be working properly - try to install that same software on that Mac.

If you still can't get that remote install to work, call AppleCare about this issue.

I had the identical problem. Stoping the Firewall in System Preferences/Sharing/Firewall tab on the Tiger machine worked for me. This should be added to Apple's installation instuctions for sure.

Thanks for the Post Andreas. I'd still be trying to figure it out....

I'm trying to install the snow leopard upgrade onto my air from my macbook pro. I've never had problems using the remote disk this way before. Apple has some crap advice about "buy a superdrive then". This is not what I was told I'd have to do when I bought my Air, and indeed not what I've had to do previously. I assume it's some new security put into 10.6?

Are you using a purchased 10.6 retail disk or are you using a 10.6 from another machine such as your macbook pro?

Dumber than that -- I forgot you have to actually run a utility application "Remote Install" on the host machine. Still, shockingly useless error message, & Apple support document about the message. However, going through the "error report" procedure got me to a support page that documented the install procedure.

Back