Mac mini

Mac mini - top or flop?

• TOP! :)

• flop. :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
Randman said:
Technically, there's a moon every night of the year, just that its visibility from Earth varies. ::ha::

With the drop in keyboard prices being a nice touch, I still wish Apple would offer a lower-priced monitor. Why kill the 17s?
Yarr, take me joke to the extreme, will ye? :pirate:

A 17", 4:3 aspect ratio aluminum Apple display would be awesome. Especially if they priced it at, oh, $499.

Did it need elaboration? OK. You can add your own ram in a mini or any new Mac without voiding any warranty.

ok. :)
i had a mac once where it was clearly statd in the manual that if i so much as loosened any screw the warranty would be voided.
granted that was a macintosh Plus so things may have changed. :)
but i though this "not voiding the garranty" only applied to those machines (like most new macintoshes except the mini) that had instructions in the manual how to change the memory and had an easy way (like a hatch or something) to access the above mentioned.

Randman said:
You can add your own ram in a mini or any new Mac without voiding any warranty.

Where can one find that info at Apple?

Footnote #5 on the miniMac Technical Specifications page states:

Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply.

And from the Warranty page:

This warranty does not apply: (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider

Some how I can't imagine Apple allowing customers to open the mini with a rusty putty knife... but I would love to wrong on this one!

In other words, you won't void your warranty as long as you don't damage the mini by performing an upgrade. Still, some how "Apple has told Macworld" does not carry the same weight of authority to me as what Apple posts on their own site. The real "rumor" seems to be that you actually are allowed to upgrade the mini yourself without voiding the warranty.

Still I'd like to see a video on changing the RAM and stuff. :) Because the question remains how easy it would be to perform any upgrades on the mini by yourself without actually breaking anything.

I guess it depends on what that part they are prying at in the video is made of. If it's metal then you shouldn't be able to damage it without a lot of force. While if it's plastic then it would be easy to make a little nick in it if you weren't careful.

I heard that as long as the insides of the Mac mini aren't damaged (ie, logic board, memory clips, etc.) then it's under warranty. Opening it -- and damaging the case slightly during the opening process -- should not void the warranty.

It's like if you got a new G5, then amde gouges in the side of the auminum case, then the graphics card went bad -- it would still be covered under warranty, no matter the condition of the case.

andychrist said:
In other words, you won't void your warranty as long as you don't damage the mini by performing an upgrade.

Hmmm. The warranty info doesn't actually state this. It does *sort of* imply it, but I've never seen "sort of implied" hold up in a warranty agreement. The "memory...upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service..." would appear to explicitly state that RAM is not user-upgradable.

Captain Code said:
The Mac mini includes a video card with dedicated memory, and you can upgrade the Mac mini’s RAM to 1GB—contrary to rumors around the Internet, Apple has told Macworld that you can even do it yourself without voiding your warranty “unless you break something when you open it.”

This, however, is much more convincing. Weird that Apple doesn't seem to make this more clear on their website?

They quite clearly want customers to go back to the Apple Stores as OFTEN as possible. Install some more RAM? We'll do it in five minutes, just take a look at those new iPods over there. And we have iWork, too, you know... ;)

But yes, it seems that you _can_ install RAM without voiding the warranty. Just don't start hitting the processor with a screwdriver or something. I'm getting my Mac mini from a supplier in Switzerland that has less expensive (good) RAM and get 512 MB (as well as the BT/WiFi thing) installed from the beginning, so I won't _have_ to open mine.

fryke said:
They quite clearly want customers to go back to the Apple Stores as OFTEN as possible. Install some more RAM? We'll do it in five minutes, just take a look at those new iPods over there. And we have iWork, too, you know... ;)

Good point.

fryke said:
But yes, it seems that you _can_ install RAM without voiding the warranty. Just don't start hitting the processor with a screwdriver or something. I'm getting my Mac mini from a supplier in Switzerland that has less expensive (good) RAM and get 512 MB (as well as the BT/WiFi thing) installed from the beginning, so I won't _have_ to open mine.

That still leaves the HD you're going to replace yourself ;)

I was in the Apple store today, where several people told me that RAM was *not* user-installable on the Minis, and that Apple required an "authorized service representative" (i.e. the store) to install RAM... Are they just incorrect, or is this the policy??

It was pretty easy to replace the RAM in my new Mac mini today... Getting case off at first was a little unnerving, but the beveled putty knife seems to work alright.

By the way, anyone having problems with the new Mac mini and certain network switches and or routers? Seems we may be having a problem with a Netgear unit and the Mac mini at the moment, very troublesome... Can't get over, it seems, a 10mb link even after setting it manually, at least that's what the transfer speeds are like.

ylon said:
By the way, anyone having problems with the new Mac mini and certain network switches and or routers? Seems we may be having a problem with a Netgear unit and the Mac mini at the moment, very troublesome... Can't get over, it seems, a 10mb link even after setting it manually, at least that's what the transfer speeds are like.

is your router/switch up to date with current firmware?

Back