Mac mini

Mac mini - top or flop?

• TOP! :)

• flop. :(

Results are only viewable after voting.

bookem

danno
I want one, and I want one now!!! That's way cooler than I'm sure anyone expected! Who's orderin'?

Attachments

• indextop20050111.jpg
    indextop20050111.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 34
Here's something interesting: on the main Mac mini page, there is a little blurb on the right column titled "Perfect for Programmers". Are they trying to appeal to Windows/Linux programmers with a cheap-o machine to develop on (well obviously they are)?

Hm...

I'm ordering one right now. My only real complaint about it is that the built-in video is a Radeon 9200 with only 32MB of RAM. 64MB of video RAM would have really made it much more useful (for me). But honestly it's still a great box and setup.

kainjow said:
Here's something interesting: on the main Mac mini page, there is a little blurb on the right column titled "Perfect for Programmers". Are they trying to appeal to Windows/Linux programmers with a cheap-o machine to develop on (well obviously they are)?

Hm...

I could see owning three or four of these just for testing various OS versions quickly and easily. That'll do until something like VMware exists for OS X, if ever.

That was what I was thinking... they'd be perfect for testing.

Now time to convince the family to get Mac's :)

Well, as usual they do add up qiuck. For the 1.42GHz version with 512MB RAM, a SuperDrive, and the Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme add-ons, $903 US.

How much are iLife 05 + panther? Let's say they will be at least $199. That will make the iMac mini cost $300!! Great, huh? And for the first time I see some reasonable Euro-prices compared to those in the US. I will order one!

chadwick said:
I could see owning three or four of these just for testing various OS versions quickly and easily. That'll do until something like VMware exists for OS X, if ever.

Link them together on the network for fast distcc compiles!!! Distributed computing, here we come :D

is it just me or does anyone find it creepy that basically that the MacMini costs less than the iPodPhoto? ::ha::

I was hoping for price drops in the iPod line -
$99 iPod Shuffle
$199 iPod Mini
$249 iPod 20GB - wishful thinking!
$299 iPod 40GB -wishful thinking!
$399 iPod photo 40GB
$499 iPod Photo 60GB
$599 iPod Photo 80GB

I was thinking about that after I heard the rumors of the $500 Mac mini... I got a 60GB iPod photo for Christmas, and now, I don't know which one I'd want if I had the choice between the two!

I think I'd still favor the iPod photo. If you haven't used one, it is phenomenal. The color screen is brilliant, and having access to every single song in your iTunes library wherever you want is mind-blowing.

It would be cool if my iPod photo ran OS X, but still, I think I'd take the iPod over the Mac mini any day.

Still, I want a Mac mini extremely bad... ;) The specs are great -- it's almost as portable as an iPod, and it's a complete, decently-powered Macintosh that fits in two hands!

Zammy-Sam said:
How much are iLife 05 + panther? Let's say they will be at least $199. That will make the iMac mini cost $300!! Great, huh? And for the first time I see some reasonable Euro-prices compared to those in the US. I will order one!

Hey cool idea there. Didn't think of it that way!!

I think this is going to prove to be an extremely useful and popular machine. While it would be fun to set it up with BlueTooth keyboard and mouse and hook it directly to the TV and stereo as an effective DVD player, games machine, photo browser, iTunes jukebox, watching DivX movies or hooking it up to an iSight and using it for video conferencing. The specs are just right for all of these tasks.

And if you're into home movies and don't allready have a DVD writer, then the SuperDrive upgrade and the included iLife '05 will let you just plug in your DV camera and burn straight to DVD.

For programmers and other techie types, it represents a great new toy that can be put to use in a lot of clever ways. Website developers from the Windows world might consider a Mac Mini and a KVM switch as a handy way of testing sites out on various Mac browsers. It would make a nice box for a Linux fan to muck around with, too, and would be handy for kiosk applications as well.

All up, very tempting, very cool -- though I'll probably be putting my cash into two "work related" items from the show: iWork and iPod Shuffle. ;-)

In my opinion they have just broken down the final barrier to those on-the-fence about switching. this is the year of Apple.

iWork definitely, and the new iLife as well... simply for iPhoto 5!

The new Mac mini is a great answer to Microsoft's Media Center... this thing does it all, and then some.

symphonix said:
I think this is going to prove to be an extremely useful and popular machine. While it would be fun to set it up with BlueTooth keyboard and mouse and hook it directly to the TV and stereo as an effective DVD player, games machine, photo browser, iTunes jukebox, watching DivX movies or hooking it up to an iSight and using it for video conferencing. The specs are just right for all of these tasks.

keep in mind most LCD HDTVs can double as Computer monitors

man, i didnt even think of that!!! the Mac Media Center!!! Now I want one just for that!!! (course I'd have to get a LCD HDTV too! :( )

Well, you've sure gotta hand it to Apple! I have a 2 month old G5 sitting here, macked up with RAM and a bunch of extras and yet I still want one!

What with Firefox eating into IE's market share, large organisations switching to open source, Longhorn a good 18 months away (and even then a few years behind OSX in terms of sophistication) and now this, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy a Windows PC.

That is unless you enjoy looking at a blue screen while you bang your head against that crappy beige tower unit.....

The day of the Apple is nigh, down with Wintel, long live the Mac!

:D

Back