Mac mini

Mac mini - top or flop?

• TOP! :)

• flop. :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ah. Mac mini. I'll get one. Hopefully, a user can rip out its guts and replace the meager HD with a 200 or 300 GB one... :) :) :) I'll take the slower one, too, since VLC doesn't need _that_ much horsepower. ;)

i think this is a really nice idea.. however: why only two usb ports? i got my keyboard, got my mouse which need to be plugged in and.. here we go, i need a usb hub if i want to access the photos on my camera using both keyboard and mouse.

second: why no microphone port? this is what really spoils the mac mini for me. i enjoy internet telephony over skype and this thing, as nice as it otherwise is, does not have a microphone port? why leave out that? because they want me to buy an isight? because i could use the microphone over usb... oh wait, there are only two usb ports.

nice idea apple, but why no microphone port? why not another usb port?

Mouse can plug into the keyboard -- in fact, that's what Apple recommends. So you'd be left with one free USB port -- for your camera, USB microphone, etc.

My G4 only has two USB ports, and has a keyboard/mouse plugged into one port and a hub into the other, for a total of 5 USB ports (plus one extra on the keyboard).

sur, who cares about usb keyboard or mouse or microphone over jack when there are wonderful bluetooth devices? Imagine you have your bluetooth headset and use skype running on your Mac mini, dial your friends number over your bluetooth keyboard and mouse and all from the couch... That's what Apple is going for.
Fryke, I was wondering if they are using 2.5'' disks such as for laptops or regular 3.5''. The compact case proposes 2.5'' and so the limited capacity on max 80gb.

VERY nice machine. I may entice my parents to get one.

One thing: The UK Apple store has slowed down to a halt LOL. Too many people going on there I bet.

or you get BT built-in and a BT mouse/keyboard. then you still have 2 usb ports...

think about the portability. I know it's not meant as a laptop, but it's PORTABLE being that tiny. I occassionally cary an external HD with me that's about the same size...
I could have a display/keyboard/mouse at home, and the same at my office, and take it back and forth. it COULD act as a cheap laptop when you've got set destinations with the right hardware waiting. not ideal, but never know who it might work well for.

also, for the windows users who are finally ready to make that jump, they can put it in the closet, and use remote desktop connection to still connect to and use whatever they need from their old windows machine.

man I can't wait to get one of these. or 2...

I've been kind of thinking of building a linux cube type thing for a while. Why bother now seen as this now exists. It's like the Cube for real people.

Zammy-Sam said:
Fryke, I was wondering if they are using 2.5'' disks such as for laptops or regular 3.5''. The compact case proposes 2.5'' and so the limited capacity on max 80gb.

Seagate has recently released a 100GB 5400 RPM drive. Looks really sweet.

Guys guys guys!

Watchu all complaining about?!

More than 2 USB ports would be great, but look at it this way...I'm forced to use a Compaq PC at work - it's only 18 months old, yet it has just 2 USB ports and NO firewire whatsoever. It sucks!

Now imagine you have a 3 year old PC (average upgrade time) - it will be packing Win 2000 (XP you're lucky!), a 400-800mhz processor, next to no RAM, a rubbish graphics card and it probably grinds to a halt every time you rip a CD in iTunes (not that you've got any space left on your tiny HD) or plug a digital camera in. You want to upgrade, but you don't have a whole chunk of money to spend....

This Mac makes perfect sense, even with only 2 USB ports. You can use all your PC peripherals and it will make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to music and photos.

Let's face it, while some of us are power users, the majority of people use a PC to load up their ipod, download their photos, update their resume and surf the net. This machine does it all for the price of a no-brand PC, but with a little bit of style!

P-M :D

I already told my Windows-lurving wife that I'm getting one of these once the tax refund comes in. Although I am also contemplating waiting until Tiger is released...but the temptation is just to strong to just get it ASAP! :D

This is the perfect machine for doing my music compositions on with my synth. None of my other Macs (with maybe the exception of the Quadra's size) or PCs would compare with the portability of the Mac mini.

Awesome job, Apple!

If large LCD doesn't mean 30'' cinema.. Yes! But it won't be powerful enough to play current 3d games at a high detail-level.

no, i didn't mean the 30" cinema, but a normal LCD wich also doubles as a normal tv kind of.. a LCD with a tuner, maybe 25-26" or the 23" apple cinema display..

.a

alexandr said:
no, i didn't mean the 30" cinema, but a normal LCD wich also doubles as a normal tv kind of.. a LCD with a tuner, maybe 25-26" or the 23" apple cinema display..

.a
Most of such LCDs run at something like 1280x1024 or so. This should be no problem for the 32mb graphic card.

Zammy-Sam said:
sur, who cares about usb keyboard or mouse or microphone over jack when there are wonderful bluetooth devices?

actually, you are so totally right on that one that i wonder why i didn't think of that :) i only need to get all of that stuff... but yeah, i can't belive that didn't occur to me

Back