Mac mini

Mac mini - top or flop?

• TOP! :)

• flop. :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the microphone question can be answered easily. We all know apple try to get you to buy their products. let's face it, there is nothing quite like the apple synergy between products (except maybe Microsoft Windows/Office/Visual Studio/Server crashing in sync)

So you get an iSight. firewire webcam and high quality microphone. then you don't lose any usb. or use an imic

I love it. Absolutely, and I will be getting one, maybe two. But I do wish the form factor was not quite so compromised.

4 USB ports would be nice: camera, printer, Palm, keyboard, speakers, mouse--that's five already. I realize there are work arounds, bluetooth, USB ports on keyboard, hubs, etc, but this is also supposed to be cost effective for switchers. They even go so far as to mention using equipment you already own. Not with only two USB ports.

Also, I can't find anything about user accessible RAM. Am I stuck with Apple RAM and their outrageous prices?

I wish I could degrade the "coolness" of it just a notch or two, and upgrade it's usability without buying all new equipment.

Anyway, just 2 cents worth.

No guesses - Apple already said it's shipping on the 22nd of January, or will be delivered by the 22nd with a pre-order. Check the Apple Store.

Date is 22nd of January in the USA, 29th for the rest, I think. 2 USB ports are enough, believe me. If you've got more devices, you'll want a hub anyway. And if you're a PC user with five or six USB devices, chances are you've already GOT an USB hub.

Too bad there's only one RAM slot though. $425 extra for one gig, yikes!

Wonder if this thing could run iLife and iWork smoothly on just, say, 256 Mb.

Maybe Tiger will get more out of RAM, even in a G4?

Otherwise not much to complain about... this could be the best selling computer ever. (IIRC the original iMac was the single biggest seller of its time.)

meaning it will only take pre-built-in RAM from apple? or is it possible to get some third-party-RAM..?

alex.

Very interesting device. I'll probably be getting one (after Tiger is released).

They really should have included digital audio out though - would have made it a significantly better device for the living room.

Kap

Another piece of crap that is useless to a pro. Only has a "G4" processor of all things and you need to buy everything else for it. Why are you people so excited about this thing? Does it have some benefit I just don't see or have you all gone mad? ::sleepy::

ThickAir said:
Another piece of crap that is useless to a pro. Only has a "G4" processor of all things and you need to buy everything else for it. Why are you people so excited about this thing? Does it have some benefit I just don't see or have you all gone mad? ::sleepy::
The Mac mini is not for geeks and pros who know their computers. It's for the average PC users who just want a computer that does internet, email, word processing - the BASICs - without any hassle. The Mac mini fits this type of user like a glove.

What next? Complaints about the iPod shuffle and how it doesn't hold your entire music collection, but you're too cheap to buy a normal iPod?

Sonnet/PowerLogix G5 2.5ghz upgrade card for the Mac Mini!! :D

(keep in mind a g4 cube can be upgraded to a 1.7ghz!!)

Yeah, but for the price of a Mac mini, right clc2112? ;) ... I rather get a Mac mini than an upgrade for an old Mac... ;)

Yea, my PC friends are like, "It doesn't come with a mouse or keyboard? Even a cheap $200 Windows PC comes with a mouse and keyboard." My response is, "and what exactly do you do with those two items? Put them in your junk box?"

People crack me, they want a stripped down Mac "it comes with too much stuff" and then you strip it down, "it doesn't come w/ enough", and yet it still remains, "can you upgrade that? doesn't look like you can."

I don't know know if one of these is the "solution" for me, as I'd really like a G5... I want something that will take me into the next two years.

kainjow said:
The average Joe who this product is targeted for doesn't even know digital audio exists!! Argh..
It's not about the average Joe knowing about it - it's about the salesman being able to use it as a strong selling point.

i.e. "And this thing is great to have in your living room ... connect to these speakers using digital audio ..."

Joe cares about sound.

Kap

ScottW said:
My response is, "and what exactly do you do with those two items? Put them in your junk box?"
The response should be, "yes, BUT you don't get Tiger or iLife with a cheap (or any other) PC".

These two things are the big competitive advantage Macs have and now PC users can have them for not a lot of money at all.

Kap

Well, then you need a better salesman. The thing's _got_ sound. But this is _not_ a media center, so don't act as if it was one. It's a home computer, a cheap one at that, and I think it compares well to other cheap computers out there.

Btw.: Show me the 499$ computer with digital audio out. Show me the 499$ media center. Or rather, know what? Don't.

kainjow said:
Here's something interesting: on the main Mac mini page, there is a little blurb on the right column titled "Perfect for Programmers". Are they trying to appeal to Windows/Linux programmers with a cheap-o machine to develop on (well obviously they are)?

Also, the programmer probably already has about four computers on, under, and beside his desk, the fan noise is driving him to distraction, he's tripping over cables, and he uses a KVM, so the last thing he needs is another keyboard and mouse that he won't use.

RGrphc2 said:
keep in mind most LCD HDTVs can double as Computer monitors

And nearly any non-LCD HDTV as well. Even if the TV doesn't have specific ports for a computer, you can pick up converter boxes from DVI/VGA to HDTV component, etc.

My Y2K-model CRT-based HDTV has a SVGA port specifically for hooking up a computer. I had one in the living room for a while until I got sick of the noise... Maybe I will again =)

Back