Mac OS 11?

Originally posted by jozo
Will there be a Mac OS 11

definitely

Wot will it look like

I guess it will be a modified, enhanced MacOS 10, maybe with many new standards (which we can only dream of now) built in, but I am sure it will be the same architecture than OS 10. Maybe a Cocoa finder :D

Callled Mac OS Y????

Defintely NOT!

Maybe MacOS X++
:D

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
OS 7 > OS 8 > OS 9 > OS X > OS 11 > OS 12...

Yeah, I know, X++ was just a joke. Remember the programming language C? Instead of calling the second version 2.0, they called it "++", which is the programming instruction for an increment, equal to C + 1, in this case, X + 1.

I think Apple will hold on to X for a while and go up .1 each year. We will probably see 10.2 at MWNY rather than 10.5.

I think OS XI will have some sort of 3D interface. You know you sit down at a park bench, put on a pair of cool looking sun glasses:cool:, grab your stylus that tracks xyz coordinates and get to work. The machine would have someway to let see both your work and your surrounding environment and your computer in full detail.

It could happen.

I'm pretty sure Mac OS X is going to be here for, at the very least, another 5-7 years. Didn't Steve say that Mac OS X is going to last us a whole decade?

I think he meant OS's based off OS X's unix core. If its going to be called OS X for 10 years then it better be called OS EX not OS 10 :D

Originally posted by ulrik

Yeah, I know, X++ was just a joke. Remember the programming language C? Instead of calling the second version 2.0, they called it "++", which is the programming instruction for an increment, equal to C + 1, in this case, X + 1.

Not quite, the latest version of the C standard is C99.

C++ is a diffrent language, intended by its creater to be the successor to C.

Also, wouldn't Mac OS 11 be, OS XI 11.0?

Originally posted by LordOphidian

Not quite, the latest version of the C standard is C99.

C++ is a diffrent language, intended by its creater to be the successor to C.

Also, wouldn't Mac OS 11 be, OS XI 11.0?

Still, the idea behind the "++" naming was that it is a "next and better" C, the incremented C, C 2.0. I know that C and C++ are completely different (procedural vs. object oriented), I just wanted to explain my joke with X++. I didn't want to imply that C++ is the logical next version of C, which, of course, is wrong.

I think Apple may stick with the OS X moniker for as long as it can, and label it's BIG releases like this...

10.1 > 2001
10.2 > 2002
10.3 > 2003
10.4 > 2004, etc. etc.

This seems to be the direction they are headed, and it makes some sense.

I guess we'll find out at WWDC or this summer what naming path they are going to take. If the next update is 10.5, then they are headed down a more traditional numerical versioning scheme.

Mac OS 7 brought multitasking (eliminating MultiFinder)
Mac OS 8 brought the Platinum Appearance
Mac OS 9 brought a Multiuser environment
Mac OS X brought a whole new system, really
Mac OS 11 will bring 'something' new.
So while OS X gets updated and fixed, it'll be 10.x.x, version 11 will be a bigger update, maybe in 2003 (it's also a marketing issue, isn't it).

Dont think it will be XI or something. Think it will be:

MacOS X (11.0 build???????????)

All the other one look xxxxxx! :p

Sorry if this bugs you.. BUT YOU AGAIN??? same post???? damn... i am sorry but i have to say that ... MAN..... GET A LIFE..is the 4th Post with the same exact topic... are you expecting different answers??

Sorry again if it bugs you

Originally posted by Alexandert
Dont think it will be XI or something. Think it will be:

MacOS X (11.0 build???????????)

All the other one look xxxxxx! :p
I also think this will be the name.

I remember how stupid I thought this is when I heard Apple wants the 'X' to be pronounced '10' and saw the naming "Mac OS X 10.0"

That is just stupid. What do these Apple marketing guys think?

I am really looking forward to "Mac OS Ten Eleven-Point-Ouh" :D

Originally posted by dricci
It's Dot, not Point. This isn't AOL :D

Yeah, but Germany (where he posts from) :) We Germans often do the fault to translate it with point, since we say "Zehn Punkt Null", which - theoretically - translates to ten point zero. We are not used to the fact that you say "dot" to the comma or point in such a case.

Back