Mac OS 11?

Originally posted by googolplex
uh oh the 10 or EX thread is moving in :).

point just sounds so much better then dot btw. In math you don't read 5.7 as 5 dot 7 you read it 5 point 7. Likewise, it should be 10 point 1 point 3. But it is dot as in dot com. There's a difference.

Uh oh, the point or dot thread is moving in :).

I predict that in the not so distanct future, President Bill Gates and his evil government will complete a hostile takeover of the computer operating system software industry and pass a bill making it illegal to use any other marketing firm other than one Micro$haft chooses.

Said marketing geniuses will name the forthcoming Macintosh OS "Sub-Windows X2" or some idiot thing.

Either that, or President Steve Jobs will rename the OS "Steve OS" and outlaw all others.

We now return you to reality.

(Sorry guys, it's early and I didn't sleep much last night!)

Originally posted by dlookus

I really don't think they'll do this. From a marketing standpoint, it seems bad to expect people to pay for increments of .1.

This next version may very well be 10.5. But I guarantee we'll be seeing Mac OS XI before 2010 (or 2005 for that matter.)

... people seemed happy paying for the 10.1 increment (me included) ... so why not 10.2 (I know I will) ;-))

C

Twyg,
I don't know why you want to talk to Jozo (I have an idea but...), but I feel the need to point out that he hasn't posted in this thread since starting it.

apropos long threads about version numberings.

What do you want this summer:

a) Mac OS X 10.2 with a few bug fixes and features from OS 9 for 20$
b) Mac OS X 10.5 with a slew of new features for 69$ (upgrade from 10.1) and 129$ (full version)?

I'm for the latter, and I don't really care what it'll be called. For price & marketing, I guess that it won't make a difference whether it's called .2 or.5 - people will see from the PR whether it's a real new big version (10.1 was seen as such!).

Let's say Mac OS 11.0 is about to appear in March 2003 (two year anniversary of OS X), whether it'll be called X Version 11 or just Mac OS 11. As I think the jump to 11 will have to be a big one, although not as big as 9 to X, but maybe as big as 7 to 8, it might be interesting to talk about what features we would want from an operating system in early 2003. My list right now:

- Innovative file system that rocks everything available up to date
- Full integration of FTP and WebDAV into the Finder (and fast)
- Full support throughout the system for multiprocessor systems (not just dual)
- Better Graphite theme. While I think Apple won't open up for 'themes', I'd want an even more professional environment for working. Aqua is okay for iMacs and Game-Players, but Graphite is not enough for the graphics pro at heart. Less is more here. (Less transparency, no jumping icons and the like).
- Full integration of an X Window System, Apple could also pave the way for even easier porting of X-apps to 'real' Cocoa apps. Provide not only Objective-C but also C++ ways.

I found it!!!

Add some suggestions, now you all know the features of X.2, you should be able to predict more about OS 11.... Make this thread the best ever!

you don't quite get it, the link says "wwwpointapplepointcom/macosx"

also, I am american, and for websites I say "apple dot com" and for OSes I say "Mac OS 10 point 2"

Back