Mac OS 11?

Dot? I say point and I'm in Canada. 10 dot 1? Its 10 point 2!

*grumbles*

of course we should all say dot because thats what Americans must say ;)

kidding

America rules us all anyway. One day we'll all be Americans. The world's degenerating. Hmm... If we stop saying 'dot', maybe there will be a point.com decade ahead of us?

Back on topic: It was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad move to call 10.0 'Mac OS X 10.0'. I hope they (Apple) will find a nice way out before it *really* backfires. "Mac OS Ten 10 dot what? Sounds clever..."

America rules us all anyway. One day we'll all be Americans. The world's degenerating. Hmm... If we stop saying 'dot', maybe there will be a point.com decade ahead of us?

sigh. typical... :)

Back on topic: It was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad move to call 10.0 'Mac OS X 10.0'. I hope they (Apple) will find a nice way out before it *really* backfires. "Mac OS Ten 10 dot what? Sounds clever..."

yeah it was a bad move. Its confusing and as you may have seen in the 10 or EX thread some people take it way too seriously. I think they will probably just go to OS 11 the double 1s look kind of cool.

I definitely think it will be XI.
Apple (unlike Microsoft) believes in consistency in naming conventions.

You know, for a while it seemed like we were getting all of this stupid "my country is better than yours" crap behind us.:rolleyes:

X wasn't consistant with 9, although I like X don't you think they might change back to numbers instead of roman numerals?

And yes my country is better then yours is stupid. Arrogance and ignorance annoys me, so lets talk about OS 11 instead! :)

Originally posted by fryke

So what do you suggest Apple to do???:confused:

Do you want them to change the letters everytime there is a new Update??? Nononononno. Please not that would confuse me even more!

(BTW I think it is Mac OS X ten-dot-one):p

X wasn't consistant with 9, although I like X don't you think they might change back to numbers instead of roman numerals?
True, but I think they did this to emphasize that there is a major difference. X is a whole new operating system.

I don't think they will do anything like this:

P.S.: I can do better than that. I am working on some stuff, so I had to do some mediocre representation :D

Attachments

• xi.jpg
    xi.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 126
Sorry about the Anti-Americanism.

The 'X' term of course also helps identifying Mac OS as a UN*X operating system. But then it doesn't make sense that Steve's stressing the 'ten' spelling.

I'm a geek, so why not use a packaging title like:

Mac OS X Build 6F67

Okay, bad idea... My guess is just a twofold brand name. It's 'Mac OS X' and the version might be 'Mac OS 11.0.4'. Over time, the 'X' will be dropped and it'll be 'Mac OS' again. After all, the consumer won't have to know about the change from 9 to 10 in a few years. Or do new users nowadays know about the 'Copland' and 'Gershwin' projects? Do they know that there was a time before Antialiasing in the Mac OS (introduced with Mac OS 8.5) or do they even know that the 'Mac OS' moniker was only introduced *after* System 7.5? (Yes, before, the Mac OS was plainly named 'System' with the version number...)

Just to add a bit more to it. Mac OS X is already marketed twofold inside the OS, so it *would* make some sense to say 'Mac OS X' is now at version '11.1.5', wouldn't it?

Attachments

• macosx.gif
    macosx.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 102
Just so you guys all know, I'm "American", and I say "point" instead of "dot". "dot" just sounds idiotic. :p (No offense anyone.)

Anyway, I think the numbering system makes sense. "Mac OS X" is the name, but the version number starting at 10 just goes to show that Mac OS X is still a MACINTOSH operating system.

You just have to get used to it, but I tend to say "mak oh ess ten ten point one point three".

Hmm I had forgotton that it wasn't called Mac OS before. The only thing that leads me to beleive that they will drop the EX for OS 11 is because then according to them it should read OS 10 11.0.... which is very very stupid sounding. :D

Just so everyone knows (and it's made clear), this is the nomenclature of Apple's operating system:

"System 1" through "System 7.5.5"

"Mac OS 7.6" through "Mac OS 9.2.2"

"Mac OS X 10.0" through "Mac OS X 10.1.3"

Interesting, kind of. :p

And yeah, sometimes I say it with the "version" in between the "ten"s.

uh oh the 10 or EX thread is moving in :).

point just sounds so much better then dot btw. In math you don't read 5.7 as 5 dot 7 you read it 5 point 7. Likewise, it should be 10 point 1 point 3. But it is dot as in dot com. There's a difference.

No matter what version it's at, the product is called Mac OS X. Apple could change this down the road (the original OS was called "System", and didn't get the "Mac OS" moniker until "Mac OS 7.6").

I really think Apple will keep all major releases following the >
2002 > 10.2
2003 > 10.3
2004 > 10.4 numeration scheme.

It makes more sense from a marketing standpoint than saying Mac OS X version 11.5 or such.

However, in a few years, after OS 9 is dead and burried and nothing but a distant memory, Apple could conceivably drop the "X" from "Mac OS", and resume a 11,12,etc. numbering scheme.

I really think Apple will keep all major releases following the >
2002 > 10.2
2003 > 10.3
2004 > 10.4 numeration scheme.
I really don't think they'll do this. From a marketing standpoint, it seems bad to expect people to pay for increments of .1.

This next version may very well be 10.5. But I guarantee we'll be seeing Mac OS XI before 2010 (or 2005 for that matter.)

Back