Mac OS X 10.2

xK1NGx xV1Px

Registered
well i just fixed firmware 4.1.9 already now it work great so i put Mac OS X 10.2 install from 9.2.2 and the screen kept look same and say error and it wont let me install...please help!

Hi xKing

What Mac do you have?
What CPU speed, how big hard drive does it have, and how much RAM do you have?
Is the install disc white or gray?

Was this a 10.2 disc that came with the Mac, or was it one that shows to be for another type of Mac? If it's for another type of Mac, it won't work since those discs are only meant to install on the model of Mac that they came with. Remember, not all iMacs are the same (various revisions of the iMac G3 since 1997).

You would either need the disc that came with that iMac or a retail version of Mac OS X (whichever version).

Yikes, you spoke too much information. Now that we know that your disk is not legitimate, and is in violation of Apple's EULA (and therefore illegal), we can no longer help you with this problem. A copy of your friend's Mac OS X Install CD is not a legal, legitimate copy of Mac OS X.

You need to acquire a legitimate copy of Mac OS X that is licensed to you in order to install Mac OS X on your machine. You can find relatively cheap Mac OS X 10.2 install disks on the internet for less than what they went for when they were sold at retail.

There are other places on the internet that will help you do such illegal things, but this is not one of those places. We advocate supporting Apple as a company and purchasing/acquiring Mac OS X legally.

oh ok but i buy myself in store Mac OS X 10.4 so i put that on and the disc kept get out of the computer idk why it cuz?

that why i though too so im gonna buy Mac OS X 10.1 from ebay with legal disc

oh ok but i buy myself in store Mac OS X 10.4 so i put that on and the disc kept get out of the computer idk why it cuz?

that why i though too so im gonna buy Mac OS X 10.1 from ebay with legal disc
I think I understood all that, but... what??

Also, you do realize that if you purchase Mac OS X 10.1, you're going to be stuck with Mac OS X 10.1... each "dot" upgrade is a paid upgrade, so if you intend on running 10.2 or later (10.3, 10.4, 10.5, etc.), you have to purchase that again.

10.1 was not really a great operating system, and there is barely any modern Mac software that will run on it, either.

Last edited:
Umh.
OEM discs, ie those sold with a Mac will not work on other Macs.
Second, I don't still understand which OS you are trying to install.
Mac OS X 10.2 is old, you barely find applications for it. Same goes for 10.1. Bare minimum RAM need is 192 MB, and it is painfully slow with that, especially if you do anything with more than 2 applications and have less than 512 MB RAM.
If you buy yourself a Mac OS X 10.4 I don't understand how that relates to the 10.2 or 10.1 discs you have... what discs do you have or what are you trying to install?

I'm as lost as you are, ElDiablo. :confused:

Either the original poster is not a native English speaker, or it's some kid. If it's the latter, please explain the issue in proper grammar so that we can understand you clearly. Otherwise it's going to be hard to understand what you're asking.

Last edited:
Just to review, 10.4 would usually be on a DVD. An iMac G3 often won't have a DVD-ROM drive - and the DVD will just eject. Plus, 10.4 won't install with less the 256MB of RAM installed.
xK1NGx, there's lots of obstacles for you, eh?

Well, I think it boils down to this: I believe the original poster wants to "tinker" with the iMac -- trying out different OSs, seeing what the computer is capable of... which is a legitimate task... I'm a tinkerer myself.

But the difference is the legality of going about that. You need to first determine what OSs the iMac is capable of running. I think we're in agreement that Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.4 are capable of running on that machine, even if the iMac needs a RAM upgrade and even if 10.4 needs to be acquired on CDs (Apple only ever offered a trade-in program to obtain a legitimate copy of 10.4 on CDs -- you had to first purchase the DVD of 10.4).

You're probably not going to be able to do this without spending money. You need to purchase a licensed copy of some version of Mac OS X that is compatible with that machine, or have a "friend" that is willing to simply give you (read: NOT copy their disks) their old Mac OS X install CD and relinquish all copies of said CD, so that the license is completely and legally transferred to you.

Once you have a legitimate copy of Mac OS X that is compatible with the iMac, we'd be more than happy to help you get the iMac running Mac OS X. Until then, though, I think you're just plain stuck -- you do not have a licensed, legitimate copy of Mac OS X yet, and your hardware may need upgrades in order to run certain versions of OS X.

As the convenience store down the street once said to me, "Come back when you have money."

ok but im trying to install 10.4 from 9.2.2 that all cuz i bought 10.4 from the store it brand new when it came out... all lienence no copy

Just to review, 10.4 would usually be on a DVD. An iMac G3 often won't have a DVD-ROM drive - and the DVD will just eject. Plus, 10.4 won't install with less the 256MB of RAM installed.
xK1NGx, there's lots of obstacles for you, eh?

Does your iMac have a DVD-ROM, or, like many iMacs, a CD-ROM, or a CD-RW? Look at the ID label on the bottom, which will tell you what originally came with the iMac.
Even if you have a DVD-ROM, I have seen several that don't read the installer DVD very well, and will just spit out the disk. Plus, you need to have enough RAM memory installed for 10.4 (256 MB). Your iMac can have up to 1GB (2 x 512 MB) installed, which will enable your iMac to perform up to its potential.

to be honestly it not my computer it my friend's computer he want my help that why im doing it for him but i have my own computer it brand new 24 inch display 3.06 MHz 750 GB Hard drive with 2 x 2 GB memory so that total 4 GB

C'mon xK1NGx, you have the attention of some of the clue-iest members here and this is your big chance to impress your friend, so step on up .... ;)

Back