Mac OS X 10.3.6 Seeded

No, nobody does believe that, since 10.3.6 includes 1.2.6 of Safari. ;-) Btw.: The 7R20 updater hosed my system, basically, and I had to apply my trusted "super-fast-reinstall-and-apply-backup" script. (It's actually a real-world, not a computer-, script that reads: "Format your harddrive, reinstall OS X, apply all updates, apply backup".) 1.5 hours later I'm running 10.3.5. While I hope that Apple will _not_ release 7R20 as the final release, the system-wrecking could also have partly been affected by the fact that 7R20 comes without a reversioner. (Usually, beta builds include a reversioner to bring you back to the last 'safe' build in version number so the newer update can be applied.) Well... Let's wait and see. ;)

heh they updated something for a game

Addresses an issue in which "zooming" in Halo 1.0.5 could lead to blurry video when using certain Nvidia video cards.

Size of the update - as always as of late - depends on the state of your system before updating. The combo will probably be around 90 MB now, so an online update can be anything between 14 and 90 MB, depending on your computer's state. I like how Apple's doing that. :)

yeah, 14 megs here, can't wait to try out the new ATI drivers with Splinter Cell.

goin to bed now...just got back from a hockey game...

runs pretty fine here. Things seem to be slightly more responsive. But maybe this is due to the hardly needed restart.. ;)

Yes, quite often people experience a speed-up when installing an update to Mac OS X because a) a system restart resolves some problems users weren't even aware of, b) prebinding is updated and c) there actually _are_ some improvements in some code.

I'd say 10.3.6 has, if at all, quite a mild effect on general performance. It _does_ have new graphics drivers, mostly OpenGL related, so that _will_ lead to performance gains in certain aspects, but probably not in responsiveness of the Finder, if that's what you mean. :)

actually I was referring most to my Desktop Manager switching which is using the fast-user switching CUBE effect. Things became smoother and there is no delay once I press the key-combo.

ATI also published updated drivers on its web site, same drivers as Apple ?

Were there OpenGL updates? I didn't see it listed in the update docs...

Now Im gonna have to try something graphic intensive...

There were OpenGL updates. They don't seem to make any difference in UT2K4, SimCity and Soldier of Fortune 2.

chevy said:
ATI also published updated drivers on its web site, same drivers as Apple ?

The only "driver" included with the recent ATi Displays 4.4.1 release was for the TV-out capabilities of their cards. No other drivers were included, so it won't make a difference unless you use TV-out on your card.

fryke said:
No, nobody does believe that, since 10.3.6 includes 1.2.6 of Safari. ;-) Btw.: The 7R20 updater hosed my system, basically, and I had to apply my trusted "super-fast-reinstall-and-apply-backup" script. (It's actually a real-world, not a computer-, script that reads: "Format your harddrive, reinstall OS X, apply all updates, apply backup".) 1.5 hours later I'm running 10.3.5. While I hope that Apple will _not_ release 7R20 as the final release, the system-wrecking could also have partly been affected by the fact that 7R20 comes without a reversioner. (Usually, beta builds include a reversioner to bring you back to the last 'safe' build in version number so the newer update can be applied.) Well... Let's wait and see. ;)

Well it's not 1.2.6! hehe...it's 1.2.4 (v125.11), but i just wanted to say that i find this version of Safari much snappier when rendering pages. What do you guys think? Is this just my mind playing tricks on me wanting Safari to be the fastest browser for OS X? :p

Can't wait till Hao Li updates the Saft plugin for this version of Safari!

Anyone else getting artefacts when scrolling websites with lot of text or pics? I somehow get copies of text lines or pics spread over the site which remain until I mark everything. Very annoying and it definitely came with the 10.3.6 update.

Nope. I don't get that with 10.3.6 on my powerbook. But I do remember getting such artifacts (artefacts?) with my iBook occasionally. Perhaps it's to do with the ATI drivers?

Zammy-Sam, i used to get that before 10.3.6, i'm not sure if it has happened yet...it usually happens when a page is still loading and i begin to scroll.

Back