Mac OS X 10.3.7

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
According to MacRumors...10.3.7 is already underway...and should be seen by year's end...

While details surrounding these very early builds are scant, sources say Mac OS X 10.3.7 will deliver enhancements to FireWire Audio, OpenGL, CoreGraphics, Multicast DNS, mLAN Audio, CoreFoundation, and AppKit.

The update is also said to include revisions to the Mach Kernel, PDF and PostScript rendering, ATI Radeon graphics drivers (8500, 9700), and Nvidia GeForce graphics drivers (3, 2MX, FX).

Check it all out here!

Actually, there's no mentioning of most of the things in that list of enhancements. And the size of the installer is 15 MB, not 50 (which is probably the installed size), so 10.3.7 will be about half the size of 10.3.6, apparently (which was 35 MB when in development). Actual improvements I've read about: Core Foundation improves directional formatting codes, CoreGraphics fixes some printing issues and colour calibration issues with transparency. And: lookupd is improved for, well, domain name lookup (a problem mostly with Safari that showed up recently). (taken from http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/2004/11/17#20041117_7s202 on macnews.net.tc, of course...)

I dunno why AI didn't get those. My guess is they _heard_ that the build would be released later and prematurely posted news about it, including some kind of 'usual set' of changes.

Those of you with the Safari DNS problems can do the "finally-sigh", since lookupd problems will be solved in 10.3.7 (an important fix that didn't make AI and macrumors.com's lists...).

u can allways revert back to 10.3.5 right ? cause these DNS fixes seem really important WOW..... he he he

Do the printing "fixes" include a fix for the messed-up Aqua controls in a printed page? It looks so crappy that I print web pages from my PC instead. :( (See attachment.)

Attachments

• AppleCrappyPrintJob.jpg
    AppleCrappyPrintJob.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 69
Yeah no kidding...this DNS crap is really ticking me off...having to tell it to load a page twice all the time...

I'm still wondering what that DNS problem exactly is, since it hasn't cropped up on my PowerBook (knock on wood) so far... I also haven't seen it on my GF's iBook G3/800 and also haven't heard of it on another iBook G4 and another TiBook G4. I'm aware of the fact that Apple's now fixing that bug, so obviously it's not just something that crops up with one ISP or something. However: How come that some people are experiencing the bug while others don't? Are my ISP's DNS servers just 'better' in some way? I heard on some other thread (or even other site) that it might have to do with how people use DHCP to get the DNS' IP addresses, but that can't really be the problem, since I do get mine through DHCP, too. And whether I connect to my cable modem directly or through a router with masquerading, the result's the same: Works fine. Did work fine in 10.3.5, in 10.3.6 betas, in Tiger betas and in 10.3.6 final... *shrug* ... Guess I'm just lucky... Along with my GF (same network, since we live together) and my friends' Macs...

Pretty sure this recent page loading problem is limited to America, and is specific neither to Safari nor Mac. My Windoze compatriots are experiencing the same annoyance, regardless of ISP or the manner in which they connect.

Still if Apple figures out a fix for it in the next update I'd be thrilled...

It never really bothered me until a month or so ago i started noticing i had to load pages twice to make them work...at first i thought it was just safari...but soon found it was just the mac. If it's something that could be fixed by just changing some settings I'd be more than gald to try it out...but Im not sure on what to do...

andychrist said:
Pretty sure this recent page loading problem is limited to America, and is specific neither to Safari nor Mac. My Windoze compatriots are experiencing the same annoyance, regardless of ISP or the manner in which they connect.

Still if Apple figures out a fix for it in the next update I'd be thrilled...
I can't remember were I read it, but I think it has to do with an upgrade to Microsoft Server 2003 that some ISPs installed.

Back