Mac OS X 10.3.9 Update: Top or Flop?

If you updated to 10.3.9, did you encounter critical errors?

• No. Everything was fine (besides maybe one or the other Safari-plugin issue). Good!

• Yes. It was really bad. (Don't choose this if it was Safari-plugins related. Explain the errors.)

• Did not install the update. I just want to view the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
FlashMac said:
Is there any chance that parts of this update prepare the machine for Tiger in some way, as in; would it be safer to upgrade from 10.3.8 to 10.4 or from 10.3.9 to 10.4?
I wouldn't think so. 10.4 is a completely new operating system, not just an update from 10.3. Frankly, I'm planning to do an archive and install, not even keeping my users and settings when I install 10.4. Bit of work to get back up and running, but considering that my home directory contains junk that is over 3 (or more) years old, it is probably due for a rebuild :)

I won't upgrade for a while till the kinks have been sorted with Tiger, the other reason is I don't have a G5 to take me too 64 bit and all the "behind the scenes" OS tasks, for me that's where the real improvements will be taking place not the "eye candy" widgets. However I still wouldn't upgrade a current Panther, but put it onto a new system disk. Its always a good idea to keep the OS on its own disk(s).

downloaded the 10.3.9 combo update, burnt it and formatted my system. installed my OSX cd (v10.3.7) and installed the update. everything runs faster in my experience.. not 1 problem so far.

my update was ok, but couldn't notice any diference. Except for ..

Safari default bookmarks (ie. apple, ebay, etc..) suddenly re-appeared in my bookmark bar after my personal bookmarks.

Based on the command line fix I've packaged this into an installer which is attached to this reply.

Good Luck

Attachments

• SecureClient-Patch.pkg.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 8
After updating to 10.3.9, when I shutdown the G4 all is ok, until the big 23" monitor switches off, when this happens the G4 turns itself back on and boots up. I haven't done any work to find out if this is the graphics card or the USB interface in the monitor thats causing a COLD system boot. If I leave the monitor on in standby, the G4 stays off.

Booting can be inconsistent, but mostly ok.

I have a 10.3.8 disk also in th same machine that I can boot off, it doesn't exhibit the above.

If I use "shutdown -h now" from the UNIX command line the machine does not exhibit the above.

But no disasters

Back