Mac OS X 10.3.9 Update: Top or Flop?

If you updated to 10.3.9, did you encounter critical errors?

• No. Everything was fine (besides maybe one or the other Safari-plugin issue). Good!

• Yes. It was really bad. (Don't choose this if it was Safari-plugins related. Explain the errors.)

• Did not install the update. I just want to view the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
well... apple says:
Important: Please read before installing

• You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
  • The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300569 for more details

I would love to download the standalone installer.....BUT.... I can't get on my system except in single user mode. So that is the dumbest suggestion Apple can make. No power was interupted and as far as I know, no system modifications have been made. How do we know if third party software has made modifications. I hate to say this, but XP machines let you 'undo' an update because they back up essential files for the user first. My mother's machine went south after XPSP2 was installed back in Jan. I fixed it in April be going back to a restore point the system had made......THE OLNY thing that XP has going on OSX, I guess..... no flaming please, I am a devout MAC (and Wintel convert) person. But this type of thing (happening on 3 different updates in the last year) just pisses me off. I am on my wifes machine because mine is rendered useless until we get back from our trip.

I installed 10.3.9 last night via the software update (after having repaired permissions). Everything worked fine EXCEPT Safari would not launch. I tried it a number of times. Firefox worked fine as did Camino. I then trashed SAfari 1.3 (which is a result of 10.3.9 and replaced it with Safari 1.2 from the Apple website. Now Safari works fine.

Ashka, that site didn't kill my Safari under 10.3.9 but, looking at some of those pictures, I wish it had..!

Safe boot acts the same as any other. There is no way in Graphically as far as I can tell. Only single user mode works....which is virtually worthless. I can use the machine as a Target Mode Firewire disk to get to data....but damn am I lucky I have another Powerbook with me. Think about the guy (or gal) that does not have that luxury. My business would come to a grinding halt and would cost me more than a cup of coffee to rescue. The moral to this story?..... BACKUP EVERYTHING TO A BOOTABLE DRIVE BEFORE ANY SYSTEM UPDATE!!!!!! I have been smacked on the nose several times, I think this time I learned.

Wow, I can't believe people are having so many troubles, I expected as much from a SP update from Microsoft but they have to deal with all sorts of different hardware where as Apple knows what everyone has.

Piper have you tried using the repair utility built into Disk Utility? (booting off of either a Mac OS Install cd or BootCD)

I love Frykes sense of humour in creating this poll. :D

I hope apple has removed the update - can't find it on their Software Update site.

Managed to install fine for me though. So far :(
(12" 1GHz powerbook)

ljwcic said:
I installed 10.3.9 last night via the software update (after having repaired permissions). Everything worked fine EXCEPT Safari would not launch. I tried it a number of times. Firefox worked fine as did Camino. I then trashed SAfari 1.3 (which is a result of 10.3.9 and replaced it with Safari 1.2 from the Apple website. Now Safari works fine.

There is a fix for the Safari "would not launch". It has to do with some third party Safari extensions. Go to Library->Application Support->SIMBL and throw out the plugins folder. I say this because it is all over the Mac part of the net.

That SIMBL plugin trouble, did that also involve PithHelmet? Because I see there is a new PH release out, 2.3, specifically tailored for 10.3.9.

For me, this was one of the best Safari updates ever-- banking sites in particular are responding incredibly fast now. :)

Looks like the conclusion is to stick to 10.3.8, especially if you have a PowerBook!

Maybe the release of 10.3.9 is problematic so more users upgrade to 10.4...that would be cheeky. Suppose it would also leave doubts in peoples minds to where the upgrade to 10.4 will be smooth.

We will have to see...

I have a Powerbook 12" 1.33 GHz G4, and it works fine apart from some Safari plug-in issues. I don't have problems with Java, or anything and Safari really feels fast now.

Well worth the upgrade for me.

now you mention it, pop ups don't seem to be working - that site above (vetinary surgery/anglo-turkish butchery) worked fine, but trying to view any of the images brought up a pop up, which does nothing.... but stay blank and not load

other than that, though, fine! btw, what are the figures on proportions of people who own books to desktops, and for that matter, how many use the 'power' line of pro stuff?

eg: i use power mac desktop

mods: can we have a poll set up please? i'd like to know.

I just upgraded, I downloaded the combined update and installed it, not problems and my G5 seems to be controlling the fans better now. Before it used to rev way up if i opened firefox.

Back