Mac OS X 10.4.3 - Update good/bad?

How did you update and how did it go?

• Updated through Software Update: No problems.

• Updated through Software Update: Had problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: No problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: Had problems.

Results are only viewable after voting.
PithHelmet broken, fix It appears that PithHelmet, the content filtering/add-on tool for Safari is once again broken under Mac OS X 10.4.3. Until the developer updates the software, a poster to VersionTracker's discussion boards has found a workaround:

Close Safari.
Navigate to /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/PithHelmet.bundle.
Open bundle and go to Contents.
Open info.plist - You can use either Property List Editor or TextEdit.
Locate BundleIdentifier for com.apple.Safari.
Change BOTH MaxBundleVersion AND MinBundleVersion to 416.12.
Save and relaunch Safari.

All good on my setup. DP 2ghz Powermac, no problems. Safari a little more responsive, dashboard still fairly slow off the mark though. Ran Macjanitor and diskutility before updating.

I don't want to jump to a conclusion here, but let's do a preliminary one all the same...

1.) In my opinion, there's still too many people using Software Update instead of the combo updater for system updates.

2.) Users of PithHelmet should be made aware of the fact that it's hard-linked to the Safari version, i.e. Safari will be broken at any update if PithHelmet is used. I'm not sure whether the developer of PH can fix this for the future or whether he even intends to. But users should remove PH before updating Safari and/or the system. (And it's not SIMBL at fault in my opinion, because I'm using other add-ons that make use of SIMBL without these problems...)

3.) 10.4.3 is not yet _the_ Tiger update that fixes Tiger to the state we want, although a lot of work has gone into this update. But it's close. With Panther, it was 10.3.4 that got the best reviews. (After that, things went downhill, but let's keep our fingers crossed that Apple doesn't repeat _those_ errors...)

fryke said:
1.) In my opinion, there's still too many people using Software Update instead of the combo updater for system updates.

Just a question: why exactly should we use the combo update instead of the Delta? I thought if I had 10.4.2 and wanted to update to 10.4.3, the best would be to choose the Delta. Is there a logical reason to do otherwise? I like knowing these things... :D

A workaround that has proved successful for various problems caused by previous incremental Mac OS X updaters is re-application of the current combination updater. Doing so overwrites potentially problem-causing files that were not replaced by the "Delta" (adjacent version-to-version) update available through Software Update or as a standalone download.

I just downloaded the Combo. I like to have it just in case for other machines that haven't been updated to 10.4.3 and don't have the speed (or even a connection) to download the Delta. And at only 10 MB more than Delta, it's probably worth it.

I'm planning on installing it tonight, so hopefully all goes well.

bobw said:
A workaround that has proved successful for various problems caused by previous incremental Mac OS X updaters is re-application of the current combination updater. Doing so overwrites potentially problem-causing files that were not replaced by the "Delta" (adjacent version-to-version) update available through Software Update or as a standalone download.

So does that mean I should just go for the combo, or should I try the delta first and THEN if something goes wrong, apply the combo?

'... why exactly should we use the combo update instead of the Delta?', for the fact that a greater amount of content will be replaced; instead of only a subset.

I cannot be any more specific, since each Update and UpdateCombo is unique in what it installs.

About first installing the delta and in case of troubles installing the combo: Just start with the combo is my opinion - why should you go through the delta hoop at all? Only because the download's a bit smaller? That's only an argument for dial-up users, and even those should consider the future, too... You'll be glad you have it around if you ever have to reinstall or have to help another person to keep up-to-date. (It's much quicker to have the latest combo on a FW drive than to always have to download the deltas or combos...)

why shouldn't we use software update? (this is a rant btw) - it's an Apple thing, its very microsoft having to go to a website and downloading something and installing it.

Software update is simple.

Lt. Major Burns: Well, I've personally been using SU for a long time and it always worked fine. Even the horror updates like iTunes 2.0.x did not kill my computer(s). My girlfriend is still updating her iBook G3 800 through Software Update without any problems whatsoever (and I leave her doing that, because of that). However: I've heard one too many stories about people creating havoc on their computers by simply updating to a new version of OS X through SU and then solving the problem with the combo updater. Hence my activity in promoting the download of the combo updaters.

I think SU should have preference options that would let users decide to preferrably get the combo updaters and to automatically save them in a set location, like in "~/Updaters", for example. Of course I'd also like to see less problems mentioned from people using SU/delta updaters.

'... why shouldn't we use software update? (this is a rant btw) - it's an Apple thing, its very microsoft having to go to a website and downloading something and installing it.', ?

01. Windoze98 has a 'Start, Windows Update' menu item; and yes - System 9.2.2 (and earlier?) has the 'Apple menu, Control Panels, Software Update' sub menu item.
'Windows Update' is an application / web page combined effort, Apple's 'Software Update' handles all processes within itself.

02. Going to a web page (remote server) and downloading a file, is not a 'windoze thing'; it is an every day occurrence on most (if not all) internet or privately connected operating systems.

[
Hmmm, I better click on Windoze98's 'Security Warning's window's 'No' button; to prevent the software updater from performing the ...

'Do you want to install and run "Windows Update" signed on 8/26/03 12:10 PM and distributed by:

Microsoft'

... action.
]

After updating to 10.4.3, I restarted the eMac 1Ghz and everything was fine. The display went to sleep and after it came back to life, the whole monitor is half as bright as it should be. Almost like its still half asleep.

I've had to turn brightness and contrast all the way just to be able to see anything. Also, it screen image went to a small square in the center of the scree. I was able to adjust this in the Geometery, but it goes back if I reset the PRAM.

I really need some help here. This eMac is my livelihood.

P.S. the iBook 1.25Ghz update went fine...so far.

Thanks!!!

I said before I had no problems, but it turns out I do. Disk Utility is broken for me, too. When I first tried to load it, the window appeared, but it hung before the contents were displayed. I had to force-quit it, and when I did, it stayed in the Dock for some reason. I went to Activity Monitor to check on it, and it wasn't loaded. So I quit the Dock, and when it came back it was normal (i.e., no Disk Utility icon).

Now when I try to load Disk Utility again, I get a dialog box in the Finder that says "An unexpected error occurred (error code -600)". Disk Utility doesn't even begin to load.

I used the combo updater.

Edit: I've now tested this with my "error tester" user account, and it has the same problem. So I doubt it has anything to do with my personal settings.

Mine went ok. I update my powerbook G4 regularly.

On the first reboot, it took a long time to generate Tiger
and I was getting nervous... But it finally appeared and
reboots have been fine since.

My only comment is that Mac update files are very large
(this one was 93Mb I htink). I can do this at work
where I have broad band, but I am thikning of my Mum
who is about to get a Mac and is stuck on a dialup.

Zag

Back