Mac OS X 10.4.3 - Update good/bad?

How did you update and how did it go?

• Updated through Software Update: No problems.

• Updated through Software Update: Had problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: No problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: Had problems.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ran the software update on 15"PB1.67 - Everything is fine... except... 1 USB port has simply stopped working. I had a hub connected to it and everything attached stopped responding after the reboot. Plugged it into the other USB port and everything works fine.

????

That rots.

I don't know what went foul, but it is similar to my battery meltdown in 10.2.3 (i think) and that's why I now disconnect everything (including the battery) for OS updates.

Hope you're in warrantee.

ashleyternes said:
Ran the software update on 15"PB1.67 - Everything is fine... except... 1 USB port has simply stopped working. I had a hub connected to it and everything attached stopped responding after the reboot. Plugged it into the other USB port and everything works fine.

????

You may just need to "reset" the USB port.
Turn the powerbook off completely, unplug
the power adapter and remove the battery.
Wait about 20 minutes, then replace the
battery, plug the power adapter back in
and boot up the powerbook.

Thanks... I'll try the recipe on the PB and if that doesn't work I'll mix in hops and water - at the very least I'll have some homebrew ;)

Update to this problem. When I rebooted the PB last night the USB ports had "changed sides" - the one that was working now didn't, the one that wasn't working now works. At least I can safely say I haven't fried and hardware.

g/re/p said:
You may just need to "reset" the USB port.
Turn the powerbook off completely, unplug
the power adapter and remove the battery.
Wait about 20 minutes, then replace the
battery, plug the power adapter back in
and boot up the powerbook.

Followed your recipe and now have both USB ports active - I don't know how yuz dun it, but I know yuz dun it!

Thanks.

After running the software update, I'm not able to print from Quark Xpress in Classic Mode because AppleTalk won't open. Even after I went into System Preferences and turned it on through Network preferences through my Airport. For some reason, Appletalk in classic mode via the chooser doesn't recognize that I've turned it on in my System Preferences panel in OS 10.4.3. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this problem?

Powerbook 12" 1.5Ghz 512RAM

Immediately after updated through software update the keybord and mouse started to behave very very strange frequently. Tab not working as it should, the keyboard even black's out for a minute and then everything gones fine. This happens with some interval of 30minutes. One of my USB ports stopped working.

I had one of those pop-up Software Update boxes appear urging me to download security updates for osx, itunes, backup and the like. Normally I ignore these things - if it ain't broke... - but this time I agreed, downloaded the stuff as advised, restarted the computer when prompted, and now the os won't start properly. First time I got my desktop with a spinning rainbow cursor, which hung around for half an hour so I switched off, and all i got when I switched back on was a blue screen with a cursor that moves, but no desktop, menus etc.

Tried booting in safe mode, tried resetting pram, tried resetting open firmware, tried reinstalling osx from disc (twice) with the archive and install option. Same problem, except the desktop picture is back, spotlight icon appears in the corner, but no menu bar, toolbar, dock, etc...
...and no, I didn't back up first (shoot me now), so I'd appreciate a solution that doesn't involve losing all my data if at all possible!
Any thoughts gratefully received
Thanks for reading

uncertainworld said:
I had one of those pop-up Software Update boxes appear urging me to download security updates for osx, itunes, backup and the like. Normally I ignore these things - if it ain't broke... - but this time I agreed, downloaded the stuff as advised, restarted the computer when prompted, and now the os won't start properly. First time I got my desktop with a spinning rainbow cursor, which hung around for half an hour so I switched off, and all i got when I switched back on was a blue screen with a cursor that moves, but no desktop, menus etc.

Tried booting in safe mode, tried resetting pram, tried resetting open firmware, tried reinstalling osx from disc (twice) with the archive and install option. Same problem, except the desktop picture is back, spotlight icon appears in the corner, but no menu bar, toolbar, dock, etc...
...and no, I didn't back up first (shoot me now), so I'd appreciate a solution that doesn't involve losing all my data if at all possible!
Any thoughts gratefully received
Thanks for reading

Have you tried downloading the Combo Updater from the Apple site? This is the method I used to install the update. I also made sure not to have any peripherals connected to the computer other than the keyboard and the mouse, in order to prevent any issues with drivers.

I always download updates one at a time, repairing permissions before and after, rather than downloading two or more at the same time.

nixgeek said:
Have you tried downloading the Combo Updater from the Apple site? This is the method I used to install the update. I also made sure not to have any peripherals connected to the computer other than the keyboard and the mouse, in order to prevent any issues with drivers.

next time i'll do that.
meantime i'd just like to get my computer running!

is it possible the spotlight is re-indexing? spotlight icon is the only thing on the desktop, and if i run over it with the cursor it turns to that swirly rainbow. it's been running over an hour and has gone to sleep in that time, and it doesn't sound very busy!

Run FSCK first - type the following at the prompt;

Type: "fsck -f" (that's fsck-space-minus-f).

then press Return.

If problems are found, run again

After fsck indicates the disk is OK (No problems found), at the prompt, type the following exactly as written:

/sbin/mount -uw /

then press Return. Be sure to note the spaces in this command: there is a space after mount and a space after -uw. This command mounts the file system so you can delete the Finder preferences.

At the prompt, type the following exactly as written:

rm /Users/your_user_name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

where your_user_name is your "short" user name on your computer. Then press Return. The Finder preferences file on your ID are now deleted.

Finally, at the prompt, type reboot and press Return to restart in Mac OS X.

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post that.
When I did the fsck -f it came up with no problems, so I followed the rest of the instructions and rebooted.
Now the spotlight icon has disappeared too, (no menu, no dock) but I still have my original desktop picture, which gives me some encouragement that I haven't lost all my data (yet!)

Do you have another machine available that you could connect via Firewire Taret Disk Mode?

You could retrieve your files that way, then reformat the drive.

Update went smoothly. The only thing for me was that Internet Connect kept prompting me if I wanted to stay connected, I just went into prefs etc to turn it off; I never saw that prompt before. 10.4.3 has been behaving....now that I think of it, Classic has been rather slow, somewhat "stop and go", like when I play the old Wolfenstein game, it lags...and shouldn't considering what comp I have. Any way to improve Classic performance?

Bob,
I have, but it's a pc running xp, which i'm not sure will pick it up. I don't have a firewire cable, but the two computers have firewire ports, so i'll run out and get one if it's worth a pop.
I am rather astonished that just following the advice from apple to update my os has left me in this kind of fix....

I don't know if it'll work with a PC. Someone here will probably be along that knows.

Back