Mac OS X 10.4.3 - Update good/bad?

How did you update and how did it go?

• Updated through Software Update: No problems.

• Updated through Software Update: Had problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: No problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: Had problems.

Results are only viewable after voting.

fryke

Staff member
Mod
How did your update go? If you had any problems, please describe them below...

(If you downloaded the delta-updater from Apple's website, please choose SU, since that'd give you the same update...)

HINT: If you haven't updated yet, use the combo updater. ;)

I did have a problem with the Delta update but I narrowed the problem to be my new Firewire Hard Drive staying asleep, it caused a Kernal Panic upon first update restart. A quick trip to Console.app pointed that out to me.

I then downloaded the 10.4.3 combo and all went well. I did noticed though one thing in the 10.4.3 Update, Disk Utility's Repair Permissions reports it fixes the same Widget permissions every time now. Also it looks like (to me at least to me) that the new Safari upgrade breaks AcidSearch v6.0 again. Can anyone else verify these claims?

Well, someone at Apple is in trouble. They accidently removed the toolbar in 'System Preferences' (version 3.3). To return to the Utility list, one must now do a 'Command L' or 'View, Show All Preferences' menu item selection.
But then, the only toolbar I ever liked was with 'Panther's 'System Preferences' (version 2.2); which, I still use with 'Tiger' version 10.4.0, 10.4.2, or 10.4.3.

What I like about MacOS X version 10.4.3 - 'Disk Utility' can now verify the boot drive. Well, at least the buttons are now enabled, when the boot drive is selected.

So far, so good. It did fix my issue with safari and firefox not resolving domain names correctly.

Thumbs up at this point.

My install went awry rapidly. Need help badly. I attempted to install the 10.4.3 update, but received an error message, that told me there was an unexpected error in the installation and that the install program had been placed in the trash. It also told me to attempt to load the installation via the Finder.

Did as I was instructed and rebooted machine. Or attempted to. Now the machine goes through the process, and gets to the loading OS X screen briefly, then I get the loading spiral, which appears and disappears, but no Tiger!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get to permissions or anything else! Someone at Apple suggested I put in the Original Tiger CD and hold down the "C" key just to get to options, but that won't work. Now the CD is in the drive and I don't know how to eject it either (This is a Mac Mini), Some of the things I've tried.

Held down "Option" and attempted to rebooted to the Open Firmware Boot Selector screen. Problem is I'm using a non-Apple keyboard and although the Alt key operated as Option key, it doesn't seem to respond now.

Place my Tiger cd in drive and held down "C" key. Now thats in there

Held down both mouse buttons and rebooted to try to eject cd. No luck!

Any help greatly appreciated. I use this machine for everything. And no, didn't back up!! But to get unit back up would be ok, I'll start over.

Thanks!

Only thing is Safari - Its not compatible with my 3 plugins (acidseach, pdf, .doc viewer) and the tab bar looks weird in Safari now (with the Uno interface mod).
Also, Firefoxy (changes buttons in firefox) is kinda broken. The dropdowns look mangled now.
On the plus side, so far I have noticed Spotlight works ALOT faster.

EDIT:
On second thought, it appears my word.doc and PDF viewer plugins are fine. It was Acid Search, and something else that I can't figure out.

It just gives me the warning " (null) (null) v1.0b and (null) (null) v0.51 "

Anyone know what plugins those could be?

My iBook G4 updated with no problems. I feel sorry for the dude with the Mac Mini, though. Good luck, man.

GSR13 said:
So far, so good. It did fix my issue with safari and firefox not resolving domain names correctly.

Thumbs up at this point.

Hmm this might be the reason why Safari seems so much snappier.

It used to hang on "Contacting www.blabla.com" for a lot of sites for at least 2 seconds every time. Very annoying.

I haven't seen the spinning beach ball since the update, everything seems snappier, widgets, safari, mail, but do all good things last for ever, hmmm

And as someone has mentioned, yeah Safari is logging onto sites more promptly now :)

I'm happy :D

10.4.3 never came up in Software Update. Anyway I got the combo updater and everything seems the same.

Safari is still crap with animated gifs.

My Disk Utilities showed many repair things, and it show again and again for each time run.
Not so sure about that.
The rest seems quite ok :)

Had trouble downloading through Software Update, got to about 41.0 mb and it would stop downloading. Outside of that, I have not had a problem.

Well, then there is also the fact that one of Apple's NeXTStep'ers decided to rename the 'fast user switching' menu's 'Login Window...' and 'Account Preferences...' menu items - as 'LOG_OUT_STRING' and 'ACCOUNT_PREFERENCES_STRING', respectively!

[
Added 01.11.2005, at 07.32.

Sehr interessant!, A previously cloned copy of MacOS X 10.4.2 was updated via MacOS X 10.4.3 UpdateCombo; and its 'fast user switching' menu's 'Login Window...' and 'Account Preferences...' menu items are properly displayed.

Very interesing ...
]

[
Added 01.11.2005, at 08.46.

Copying the 'user.menu' MenuExtra plugin from the external Firewire drive's '/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/' folder to the boot drive's equivalent folder, returned the 'fast user switching' menu's 'Login Window...' and 'Account Preferences...' menu items.
]

Mikuro said:
and before I do that, I need to.....find my freakin' Tiger DVD! Where the heck did I put that thing.........
It's at the bottom of the drawer underneath all your latest discs :D

looks to be going fine on my iBook G3 800mhz... (10.4 is definitely the last OS for this guy, it's already feeling old)

everytime i run an app the fans on my dual 2.5 cranck up really loud for a few seconds . otherwise everything's stable :D

ye. i agree. safari is much quicker. loving it.

haven't really noticed any other changes, but i did only just downloaded it

I upgraded from 10.4.2 using the combo updater. Aside from a very long wait at the gray "spinny thing" screen during startup, everything's been smooth.

Safari does seem a bit faster, but I attribute that to the fact that PithHelmet no longer works. :( It always slows Safari down, but it's such a useful tool that I hate to be without it anyway. Despite what Apple says, Safari still does not pass the Acid2 test for me. And that's the first thing they say in their changes list, too. Boo! (Although it's a pretty retarded test, anyway, since it demands that the browser rob the user of the ability to specify minimum font sizes, which is pure evil.)

I'm glad that the annoying, misleading "not responding" label on my iChat Agent is now gone from Activity Monitor. Aside from that, I haven't noticed any differences. And that's the sign of a good incremental update, if you ask me. :)

Back