Mac OS X 10.4.6 released...

Nice find. These updates always take days later to pop up in my Software Update over here in Australia :p

=====

The 10.4.6 Update is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

- login and authentication in a variety of network environments
- file access and byte range locking with AFP file sharing
- network access when using proxy server automatic configuration files
- connecting to Cisco VPN servers using IP/Sec
- using Bluetooth wireless devices
- searching iWork ‘06 and Microsoft Office documents with Spotlight
- saving Word documents automatically when using a network home directory
- creating Automator workflows for iPhoto 6
- synchronizing contacts and calendars to .Mac and mobile phones
- mounting and unmounting iDisk volumes
- compatibility with third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

Anyone installed it yet? Any issues?

As always, you should probably repair permissions before (and after) installing the update, and run Disk Utility's verify/repair routine to be sure your system is in good shape.

Also, the combo updater is historically the more reliable choice. Anyone on broadband would do well to take the extra few minutes to download the combo.

(This has been a public service announcement. ;) )

I combo'd last time to 10.4.5, and this time I decided to go for the non-combo update to 10.4.6, so I'll let you know if I find any problems ;)

Just installed via combo updater, up from 10.4.5. No issues... expect a long start-up time after installing, and do not interrupt it under any circumstances, as usual. Your startup time will be significantly longer immediately after installing this as the system updates itself, but subsequent restarts will be faster.

One oddity on my machine -- it restarted twice, automatically. I wasn't watching it the first time, but it happened somewhere between the grey spinny-circle thing and the initial blue screen -- I don't know if that's part of the update, or whether something was weird on my machine. After this first "auto-reboot," the second boot brought me to the login screen. Weird.

At any rate, seems about the same. Speed increases, should anyone think they "notice" them, are completely perceived.

Makes Mac OS X aware of United States Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes enacted by the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
Will someone tell congress to stop with my time?!?

I'm going to install 10.4.6 via combo, on my external HD safety clone AKA "Sandbox", courtesy of SuperDuper!, so if it bombs, my 10.4.5 on the internal HD won't be affected. Kind of nice to have a Sandbox to play in and try out new software and updates. If all goes well, I'll then install it on the internal HD. iMac G5 iSight w/1.5GB. Dale.

OK so far, no issues, slow startup, double boot as expected, with combo update. Seems at least as snappy as 10.4.5 so far. Left the external stuff connected to see if that interfered (FW HD, Ethernet Cable modem, USB hub w/printer, Zip drive), no problems. I noticed the only warning in the Apple download page was about iSync, have to make sure all is synched before installing update. Life is good (as of 7:28PM Mon 4-3-06). Dale.

Flying like a new born here, did Combo update, all's well, permision repairs done, Harddrive checked out ok

So did some of the system fonts change, I am sure the list of messages in Mail.app is in a different font.

i just let software updater download and install it. no problems. got the double restart like others. then it seemed to take forever to get the desktop fully loaded. to me it seems that after each update it just gets slower and slower to load to the desktop.

Also there is an Apple iSync 10.4.6 document that all should should see if the iSync a cell phone.

one more thing. I did noticed that now Repairing Permissions doesn't come up with the erroneous "fixed" messages on Dashboard or anything else.

I also got the double-boot-start-up. At first, got a bit nervous LOL. System is running, as before, I have not noticed anything significant at this point.

they support my new 6280! they now support Series 40 nokia. i'm on a windows pc at the moment, but will update my mac when i get in tonight. but not my ibook ¬_¬ :(

Well after installing the non-combo update everything seems fine with the exception of AirPort USB printing. Everything I print seems to work fine, then stop halfway or a quarter of the way through.

Back