Mac OS X on intel PCs?

MisterMe said:
My God, you have been on this forum since 2001 and ask a question like this? Where have you been? Please read this first.

What is "this"? The link just sends me to a list of forums. What should I see?

Thanx.

Come on don't be grumpy to jsn he's just asking a question!

What technology is apple going to use to stop this from happening?

boyfarrell said:
What technology is apple going to use to stop this from happening?
Nobody but Apple knows at this point, and anyone that claims to know is merely speculating. Mac OS X for Intel has not been released (and the developer copies are surely not the final release candidates), so it's impossible to tell for sure.

Some speculate that it will be a hardware chip on the motherboard, others speculate it will be software-based. Your guess is as good as mine.

It's 100% guaranteed that someone will find a way to run it on a normal PC. It's just a matter of time once the first Mactel becomes available.

But how well it will run will be a whole different matter. Unsupported video cards are just one example where it starts to fall apart.

I really hope the hackers can't get OS X to run on non-Apple Intel too well, otherwise Apple's in trouble.

I'm going to speculate that there will definitely be some sort of hardware modification required and probably a software prevention as well. The hardware solution will at least restrict the hacking to the more serious hackers.

When it's hacked, it will only be for the very advanced hackers to use, not for anyone else, unless there is some type of easy hardware or software modification that can be applied to the computer. I wouldn't expect to see it wide spread outside of the Slashdot crowd.

yea...it will probably (IMO) require a hardware mod. if this is the case...Apple isn't in trouble.

the average computer user doesn't even know how to install more ram

This is very true. Apple shouldn't see any problems outside of super-users. I figure that the impact of running a hacked Mactel on unsupported hardware would make an impact about equivalent to hacking an Xbox to run OSX.

In the end, who really cares about whether Mac OS X will be able to run on a PC? The only advantage would be convenience and accessibility to more software.

From a standpoint of selling computers, I bought a Mac because of style and included hardware, workmanship, and design. Unless I wanted to save money, I wouldnt buy a crappy Dell desktop. I would rather use the pieces-parts approach and make my own computer to my specs. I also wouldnt want to bother with hardware compatibility issues.

From an operating system standpoint, Apple would do well to make Mac OS X available to PC-computers, especially if Apple wants to become a software company rather than a full-fledged computer/laptop company. I am not really that well-versed in business and such, so I dont know how important this is.

I do know that it really doesnt matter if a bunch of computer geeks get Tiger to run on a PC. To me, it will have no effect. Apple makes a damn good computer and I dont have the time or inclination to convert a Mac into a PC or a PC into a Mac. Hell, I could peel an orange with most of the peel intact and wrap it around an apple and vice versa. But the apple still tastes like an apple and the orange tastes like an orange. The question is, which fruit do you want to eat.

aximdude2005 said:
In the end, who really cares about whether Mac OS X will be able to run on a PC? The only advantage would be convenience and accessibility to more software.
How would Mac OS X running on generic Intel hardware allow anyone access to more software? You'd still need Macintosh-specific versions of the software... I think the software situation would stay the same... it's not gonna magically let you run Windows software or anything...

There are two things I see which would be motives for someone to build a hackjob Mactel. (Beaten to death by thousands btw)

1. Lower Prices

2. Custom Built System

But again, Apple will make this egg hard to crack. Super-users only.

In response to ElDiabloConCaca:

If I wanted to run Windows software and Mac OS X software, it would be more convenient for me to have a dual boot system rather than having two different machines. I didnt think it took a rocket scientist to make that logical jump. But I guess some people think it doesnt matter to have to carry around two laptops or have two desktops on two different computer desks. I recognize the fact that there may be Mac users out there who need to use PC applications for their careers. DUH!!!!

Yes, but since it's already been said that Windows will dual-boot on Macs, I don't see how your argument makes any sense, still. Running OS X on a non-Apple PC still does not provide "access to more hardware".

(Besides, dual-booting makes little sense IMO. I'd much rather see near-full-speed virtual machines, though my guess is that we'll see VMWare make an OS X port before we ever see MS get around to building Virtual PC for MacIntel!)

Back