Mac Pro Built-In Battery Longevity

FrgMstr

Registered
Hi all,

I want to get a new Mac Pro Laptop (17") with the built in battery.

Does anyone know what happens if you want to run it on mains mostly?

I currently store my powermac G4 12" laptops battery @ 50% detached from my laptop - this I find keeps the battey in good condition for when I do want to use it.

I guess I am concerned prolonged mains use will damage these new laptop batteries? And given the bettery is built in it wont be so simple or cheap to fix.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Dan

The Mac Pro is a desktop, Your thinking of a MacBook Pro, and the batteries are said to last 7 hours.
What do you mean built in battery?

On the Apple website, it simply says that all the MacBook Pro's have a 7 hour battery life (not sure if that's really how much you will get), except for the 17 in. which says you can get 8 hours out of it.

I think the point here is that FrgMstr (FrogMaster? You ain't in NYC, is you?) intends to use the laptop mainly as a desktop machine (hence the majority of use will be on mains power), and that, in and of itself, is significant when you're talking about removable vs. non-removable batteries.

I use my MacBook on mains power quite a bit, but I can pop the battery out at 50% and store it so that I can increase the life of the battery. If I were to leave the battery in the machine, having it constantly at 100% charge, that could theoretically reduce the lifespan of the battery... batteries get the longest life when they're used, not when they're kept at 100% charge for extended periods.

Apple also claims that new battery technology should extend the life of these batteries to 5 years or so, but with a MacBook Pro always connected to the mains, this may not be accurate.

My suggestion is that if you're looking for a computer to use on a desk connected to mains power a lot of the time, you may be better off looking for a true desktop machine -- not an Apple laptop with a non-removable battery. It may be more cost effective to get a Mac mini with a 13" MacBook Pro (for if and when you do need portability) rather than a 17" MacBook Pro.

If you have a Mac battery or performance question just search the records at BareFeats.com. Now the battery issue is subjective. If you are pushing the laptop hard (with maximum brightness and the wireless running) the battery will die more quickly. If you turn the brightness down at least 50% the battery will last much longer on any laptop.

Back