Mac to use Intel Chips!

just an observation skill test :eek: I wasn't looking past the panel.

I fully expect, and really hope, that the final Intel Macs will have the same care to the internals as the current PowerMacs. Even this one is done reasonably well, but the wire routing could still be so much better.

"Tell you what I do like though. A killer. A dyed in the wool killer! Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF1, would have immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun."

- Zorg, Fifth Element

:)

More than likely, Apple will produce their own motherboards, just like they have done with the PowerPC motherboards. Even if they used off-the-shelf motherboards, they are not significantly different than the motherboards Apple has been using for the past 10 years.

It's not the motherboard that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals -- it's the person putting the computer together that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals. Obviously, home-brew PCs with wires and cords strewn about could be significantly cleaned up if the owner gave two craps about how it looked inside. Apple takes the time to do this. PC tinkerers and other manufacturers obviously don't.

I have no doubt in my mind that the internals of the new Intel-based Macintosh computers will be just as meticulously laid out and beautiful as the current crop of PowerPC-based computers.

This is Apple. Rest assured that we will not see wires, cables and chips just strewn about inside the machine.

@Lycander: Reminds me of a Ren & Stimpy called Space Madness, at the end there is this red button, a BIG, SHINY button, pressing it would erase everything.. but the temptation.. the sweet temptation to press it!!... :D

@chadwick: I'm expecting the final Intel Macs to be nothing like this dev kit, but I suppose that's a no-brainer ;) We'll now see the inevitable LEAPS to unfounded conclusions about what the Intel Macs will be like, based purely on a box intended to compile and test apps! :) I'm a bit jealous though..

Lycander said:
"Tell you what I do like though. A killer. A dyed in the wool killer! Cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough. Now a real killer, when he picked up the ZF1, would have immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun."

- Zorg, Fifth Element

:)

Great movie.

Also, here is a pic of the switch, just to reference for others.

Attachments

• 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 26
I think the button sends a message to Apple "ALERT! This user is too inquisitive!" LOL! Or if you're a Simpsons fan, it's an Independant Thought Alarm.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
It's not the motherboard that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals -- it's the person putting the computer together that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals.
You mean in the presence of a Rabi?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
It's not the motherboard that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals -- it's the person putting the computer together that determines the "cleanliness" of the internals. Obviously, home-brew PCs with wires and cords strewn about could be significantly cleaned up if the owner gave two craps about how it looked inside. Apple takes the time to do this. PC tinkerers and other manufacturers obviously don't.

I'm going to disagree with you slightly on this. The location, orientation, and pinout of connectors on the motherboard dramatically affects the kind of layouts you can have. If you have a standard vertical orientation P4 power supply connector, there is only so many ways you can route that huge cable. But a motherboard designed with a specific case in mind could have that connector horizontal and just in the right place.

There is a lot more to it than how careful someone is routing wires.

True, but Apple has control over the entire process -- ever notice how all of their motherboards, from the G2s to the G5s, have different layouts? They can build 'em to spec, and have been doing so for a long time.

As for PC motherboards, just about everyone uses the same 2 or 3 form factors -- compatibility is key here, not a nice-looking case.

Just because Apple uses Intel chips does not mean they'll use standard ATX form-factor motherboards.

While I agree that the internal configuration depends on things other than how meticulous the assembler is, there's a lot you can do if you spent some time. There's no excuse for the Windows computers with wires hanging everywhere, ribbon cables running this way and that and general lack of attention to internal layout. I believe that if Mac users could build their own generic Mac system, the majority of their internals would look similar to the average home-brew PC: messy, cluttered, not thought out. There are only so many ways you can route a hard drive cable, but there will always be a clean, nice-looking way and a sloppy, lazy way.

pjeski said:

I noticed that you linked Page 2.. :p

I read about this earlier this week. What gets me about IBM is this: If they say they can, why didn't they then??? Why give lip service about being able to deliver when you haven't been able to do so for 3 YEARS now??

I know I'm just reiterating what everyone is saying after reading this article, but I can't help it.

As much as I like the PPC chips, IBM is really starting to get on my nerves. It seems as though they never get tired of shooting themselves in the foot. Good luck to them I guess, but it's too little too late... :rolleyes:

Back